BFG Ko2's suck that bad in rain?

dginz

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
New to Jeeps. I fitted 315/70/17 BFG KO2's on my JLU sitting on 17x9" et 12 Method wheels. Running 30psi. The tires were used w/ only about 8K mls on them. Long story short, they are HORRID for wet traction. I'm fish tailing barely pressing the gas, and came to a light stop sliding... this doesn't seem normal. Or is it? Thanks
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I live North of Seattle, and yes they slide in the rain. I wasn't expecting a sedate drive in a 5,000lb vehicle to go squirrelly like that, but it is RWD. I drive like a grandma too, I regularly get flipped off by people who seem to think they should be able to stretch out first gear when they're second in line at a light (I make it worse by driving M/T).
Long-Story-Short, it doesn't take much to break rear traction based on my anecdotal experience.
Long term, I think my goal is to have 2 sets of tires since this is my winter commuter. On-road all season tires using stock rims, and off-road with beadlocks. The BRZ I have can't handle sub-40 temperatures without risking cracking the tires, and the best tires in the world won't help it keep traction even if I get winters.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
From my experience, they are pretty bad in rain and snow. I just mounted the Good Year duratrac a month ago and its going to rain/snow here this coming Friday. I will find out how they perform compare to the KO2 lol.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
New to Jeeps. I fitted 315/70/17 BFG KO2's on my JLU sitting on 17x9" et 12 Method wheels. Running 30psi. The tires were used w/ only about 8K mls on them. Long story short, they are HORRID for wet traction. I'm fish tailing barely pressing the gas, and came to a light stop sliding... this doesn't seem normal. Or is it? Thanks
I have 285/70 KO2s on my 2-door and find them to be just fine in the rain. When was the last time MD saw any rain? Jersey has been dry for a while, so I know it could be slick out there now. If it's been very dry for a while, the road will have lots of oil and other stuff on the surface, that might be more of what you're feeling. See how it feels in the rain the next time you're out and if it improves.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I live in FL where it rains daily for most of the year. I haven't had any issues whatsoever driving in the rain. Maybe you have old or bad tires?

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
No issues in the rain in Indiana.
34 x 10.5 BFG KO2 AT D rated

EDIT: @dginz
I'd like to completely revoke my initial assessment. It was too early and without enough experience. My tires now have 4000 miles on them. Unfortunately, they are down right scary on wet roads. Im sliding around corners and fish tailing. (No, I'm not speeding) Nearly wet my pants after moving half way into another lane today. Sigh. I did have C rated. My new ones are D rated. This harder compound is definitely not best in wet conditions....

Last edited:

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
These tires have a long wear life, which equates to a harder compound. Typically harder compound materials provide less traction in snow and rain than softer compounds. You have to weigh the pros and cons against what your use is, how you use them, and what you are willing to do about it.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Worked fine for me. Rain and light snow on pavement was totally fine on the KO2s. I wouldn't expect dedicated winter tire performance but it shouldn't be terrible IMO.

OP
OP
dginz

dginz

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I live in FL where it rains daily for most of the year. I haven't had any issues whatsoever driving in the rain. Maybe you have old or bad tires?
Yeah Iā€™m thinking these particular tires may be bad. I donā€™t get it. Guess thatā€™s what I get buying used tires.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Yeah Iā€™m thinking these particular tires may be bad. I donā€™t get it. Guess thatā€™s what I get buying used tires.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Check the date codes. The may have been sitting for a long time. Tire compound degrades with time, some of them become hard over the years. When I buy new tires I won't accept anything off the rack that is a year old or older for this reason.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My BFG KO2's were good in the rain, but not very good in snow since they have no siping.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got one spot near my house. A traffic signal on an up hill with a right turn. Both my 2019 JLUR and my 2001 F250 spin the tries like crazy there. Both have BFG KO2s I don't notice it anywhere else. I thought maybe something was spilled there, but its been like that for quite a while now

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
37 KO2s w/ beadlocks here and live in FL where it rains all the time. Iā€™m built heavy and no issues. Only gripe is stopping distance and thatā€™s on the brakes and not the tires. That will be my next upgrade....

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
37 KO2s w/ beadlocks here and live in FL where it rains all the time. Iā€™m built heavy and no issues. Only gripe is stopping distance and thatā€™s on the brakes and not the tires. That will be my next upgrade....
Next after that will be tires . . . lol jk
Sponsored