First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Alright, I am hopefully not going to start a war here, but I’m in a pickle. I’ve run KO2’s before and they were good. I’m very tempted to go atx due to them being less expensive, very similar to KO2 and the Expedition Overland guys swear by them. These would be in size 315/70r17. KO2 has the advantage of C rated. ATX is only E rated, but they say they are just as comfortable and less noisy than a KO2. I’d like to hear some opinions on real world experience from you all. I know BFG KO2 fans are basically a cult now, haha, but please stay as unbiased as possible! For reference, this will be on a 2019 JLU Sahara with a Teraflex spacer lift On icon wheels with -6 offset. Thanks!

91DCE417-7478-4B19-9092-5F0734A6AAF0.jpeg

7FE1B14B-730D-4F25-9CC5-F7D68B158341.jpeg
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
E rated will not ride like a C.

XO are paid for their representation of the brand. Don’t mistake “content creators” for anything other than what they are; paid marketing platforms.

I have run the General X3 in load range C and it was pretty good. But noisy, as that is more nearly a MT pattern.

OP
OP
Punkn89

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
E rated will not ride like a C.

XO are paid for their representation of the brand. Don’t mistake “content creators” for anything other than what they are; paid marketing platforms.

I have run the General X3 in load range C and it was pretty good. But noisy, as that is more nearly a MT pattern.
Do you believe E rated tires have better longevity than C rated ones, or is that all driver/terrain dependent?

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Do you believe E rated tires have better longevity than C rated ones, or is that all driver/terrain dependent?
I believe longevity depends on the tread compound, pattern, and the type of use. Load rating not so much. Although it’s certainly true that lots of E rated tires will have a hard wearing tread compound.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Typically a E-rated tire will have a harder tread compound because it is rated to carry more weight. The size is the same, so in order for it to carry more weight, it has to be harder, in theory, or it will wear really fast.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Agreed With sponsored content creators and Load range E vs C.
Take sponsored creators with a grain of salt.
In my own experience Load range E last longer and ride rougher.

I like Load range E on my trucks, and anything lighter, softer, etc on Jeeps, toys.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I run Grabber ATX E rated 33s. Even at 35psi they aren't too bad and the ride quality on road is comfortable. I run them at 33psi (measured cold)

I did feel that it was a lot stiff brand new. Couple of offroad trips aired down 18psi.. i didn't feel that initial stiffness later on.

OP
OP
Punkn89

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I ran the previous grabber AT version on my tj, didn’t have complaints. My brain is telling me KO2. I just wish there was more out there on the ATX. These Maryland potholes and loose construction gravel/nails will put any tire to the test!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
KO2 many times on many vehicles. It's a great tire. I wouldn't hesitate to run the Grabbers should they be significantly lower price and more available. 2nd choice though.

I've done the JJUSA Texas Spur multiple times with Rusty (Rusty's). He runs General tires on his rigs and wheels them hard. Never seen his rigs struggled related to tires or tire failure.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have no current experience with the ATX's, but years ago I ran Grabber AT's on a 1/2 ton truck and they did not last very long, that may have changed with improvements to the line so there is that.

As others have stated LRE will not ride as good as LRC, side walls are stiffer, the tire will be heavier, etc. I can say the BFG K02's I am running have been the quietest A/T tire I have had in the past 10 years.

Definitely see your point on saving money at this day and age, but it is hard to go wrong with K02's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punkn89

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I have no current experience with the ATX's, but years ago I ran Grabber AT's on a 1/2 ton truck and they did not last very long, that may have changed with improvements to the line so there is that.

As others have stated LRE will not ride as good as LRC, side walls are stiffer, the tire will be heavier, etc. I can say the BFG K02's I am running have been the quietest A/T tire I have had in the past 10 years.

Definitely see your point on saving money at this day and age, but it is hard to go wrong with K02's.
its not a huge price difference, $300 vs $360 per tire. Either way, I’ve got time to do more research with all of this backorder still happening. If anyone else has experience with other C rated tires in that size, please let me know.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Maxxis Razr AT has my attention right now. Good reviews by members here as well.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Just another option that I have personally not tried, but have heard a lot of great things about, are the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. They are available in load range C, and are excellent tires for snow/rain and don't pick up rocks like the BFG KO2. Allegedly.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Another thing to keep in mind, these JLs, especially the 4 door, are among the heaviest jeeps built. I believe I read that the GVWR of a 4 door Rubicon is 5800 lbs and off-roaders routinely exceed that with all the steel armor, bumpers, winches, lights, roof racks, fuel cans, tire carriers and huge tires. So an E rated tire on a JLU isn't the same as a E rated tire on a TJ in terms of how loaded our tires are. For reference, a TJ was about 3300 lbs curb weight vs a JLUR at about 4400lbs

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
its not a huge price difference, $300 vs $360 per tire. Either way, I’ve got time to do more research with all of this backorder still happening. If anyone else has experience with other C rated tires in that size, please let me know.
$60 per tire is $300 for the whole 5 tire set, not insignificant IMO. Personally, I'd suggest looking at the Falken Wildpeak AT3 or the Toyo Open Country AT3 or the Goodyear Duratrac. The KO2s ride great on the road, but I find them lacking in off road traction. The other 3 tires I've run personally with good results or wheeling buddies have run with good results.
Sponsored