BFG Balancing issues

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Anyone having balancing issues with KO2’s? I have 315’s on AEV wheels, when they first mounted them they were fine for 3000 miles. After a rotation and balance they have a vibration. The shop has balanced them three times, each time it has been better but still have a bit of a shimmy. They have road forced balanced them and there is one that is showing 33lbs of force, I’m assuming that is the one still cau
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone having balancing issues with KO2’s? I have 315’s on AEV wheels, when they first mounted them they were fine for 3000 miles. After a rotation and balance they have a vibration. The shop has balanced them three times, each time it has been better but still have a bit of a shimmy. They have road forced balanced them and there is one that is showing 33lbs of force, I’m assuming that is the one still cau
I've had a bad balance job or two by Discount Tire, but they corrected it each time. I've also found that one of two stores in my area consistently does a better job.

I'd try a different shop. So many times I've seen it boil down to the person doing the balancing. Having them road force balanced should have easily done the trick. Maybe a different shop doing road force?

I wonder if you have a defective or damaged wheel?

I know the frustration. I had a 96 Toyota 4Runner with stock tire size that NEVER could balance right at certain highway speeds. We just wound up living with it. Tire shops and Toyota dealers all tried, too. I firmly believe it was a bad wheel or two but Toyota claimed it was not and wouldn't even swap them out for a trial run.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've had a bad balance job or two by Discount Tire, but they corrected it each time. I've also found that one of two stores in my area consistently does a better job.

I'd try a different shop. So many times I've seen it boil down to the person doing the balancing. Having them road force balanced should have easily done the trick. Maybe a different shop doing road force?

I wonder if you have a defective or damaged wheel?

I know the frustration. I had a 96 Toyota 4Runner with stock tire size that NEVER could balance right at certain highway speeds. We just wound up living with it. Tire shops and Toyota dealers all tried, too. I firmly believe it was a bad wheel or two but Toyota claimed it was not and wouldn't even swap them out for a trial run.
Pretty sure it’s a bad tire, just not sure why it was fine for a while and then now it’s out of whack. They spun it on the rim 2-3 times and it got better each time but the others were all 6-7 pounds on the road force and they couldn’t get this one under 33. It balances out to zero but you can still feel a vibration. It’s Lt rear right now and im pretty sure when I rotate it to the front I will feel it in the wheel.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
I’ve not had great luck luck with KO2s. Both sets I’ve had were extremely hard to balance after about 5000 miles. It seemed like a balancing never lasted more than about 1000 miles after the 5k Mark. I did one myself after the frustration with tire shops. I was so proud. I did the balancing (first time) at the Auto craft shop at Ft Rucker (Army). Smooth as glass. For about 1000 miles then came the wiggles.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I’ve not had great luck luck with KO2s. Both sets I’ve had were extremely hard to balance after about 5000 miles. It seemed like a balancing never lasted more than about 1000 miles after the 5k Mark. I did one myself after the frustration with tire shops. I was so proud. I did the balancing (first time) at the Auto craft shop at Ft Rucker (Army). Smooth as glass. For about 1000 miles then came the wiggles.
Yes, I have had hit or miss luck with them on a few other sets. Sad thing is I have some pretty serious tinnitus and I sold my old Lj because it was just too loud for me to drive for any length of time. The JL is much quieter so I can actually enjoy it. The KO2 is unfortunately the quietest tire out there that has some off road ability and looks somewhat decent. I’m really hoping that the new Goodyear on the bronco when it comes out bay be a decent alternative. I heard the Ridge Grappler balanced out well but is somewhat noisy on the road.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had 2 sets of KOs and three sets of KO2s. The only balancing issues I've had were when it just wasn't done properly. I've gone as far as 7k miles between balancing and they were still fine.

I'm no tire balancing expert, but what about the possibility of water in them? If that's not an issue, I'd maybe zero in on a particular tire or wheel that is defective. Those tires do have a warranty.

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
If you’re looking for severe snow rated tires that are available now. I’ve had much better luck with the Duratracs. Better in snow and dry rocks (crawling).
I’m looking forward to the Wrangler Territory becoming available in the states as well. Well reviewed by the Canadians who have had them available for years.

And oh, I have had good service, surprisingly, from my latest tires on my diesel pickup: General Grabber ATX (sever snow rated) . Great snow and general traction but I haven’t rock crawled with them. The diesel Denali doesn’t do well in the rocks.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I've had 2 sets of KOs and three sets of KO2s. The only balancing issues I've had were when it just wasn't done properly. I've gone as far as 7k miles between balancing and they were still fine.

I'm no tire balancing expert, but what about the possibility of water in them? If that's not an issue, I'd maybe zero in on a particular tire or wheel that is defective. Those tires do have a warranty.
Thats pretty much where I am at now. I think I am good with 3 and I am going to contact them Monday and see about getting them to replace the one that they can’t get the road force down on.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
If you’re looking for severe snow rated tires that are available now. I’ve had much better luck with the Duratracs. Better in snow and dry rocks (crawling).
I’m looking forward to the Wrangler Territory becoming available in the states as well. Well reviewed by the Canadians who have had them available for years.

And oh, I have had good service, surprisingly, from my latest tires on my diesel pickup: General Grabber ATX (sever snow rated) . Great snow and general traction but I haven’t rock crawled with them. The diesel Denali doesn’t do well in the rocks.
I actually like the Duratrac but I hear mixed reviews on how loud they are.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To me there is not a noticeable difference BUT I was an attack helicopter pilot for 22 years and my hearing isn’t the best.
Thank you for your service, btw!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
BFGs have earned notoriety for putting out tires that are hard or impossible to balance, i swore them off years ago. Its not all of them, seems to run in certain lots, i just dont have the patience to roll the dice anymore.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I have never had an issue with balance on a BFG. Must be a bad tire. They happen.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I figured I would post an update. They tried to replace the one tire today, the road force was 44, worse than the one they took off. Then they tried to say it was the rim, I had them try another tire and the road force was 17......balanced out fine. So, one bad tried on the Jeep, worse tire on their shelf, second tire was good and the Jeep drives nice.
Sponsored