First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Just about every industry where folks are working with their hands is in the same boat these days my friend.

I know it makes me sound old but I would give anything to have the skills and drive I had at 18 and entering a workforce that looks like it does today. I truly believe the young folks that are working with their hands now are going to be writing their own ticket over the next decade.
As long as they have someone to train them, otherwise they'll be repeating old mistakes.

We've had a couple techs that had training from a voc tech program while in high school. They have a lot better understanding starting out, plus both had been lube techs at dealerships as a first job. One of them is doing better than the other, and I think the one I'm apprenticing now will go on to be a decent tech eventually. The other one, I'm not sure of. He's a little sketchy.

We have NOT been able to hire another experienced tech for my product line here. Part of that is salary, we aren't at the top of the industry for pay by any means, and part of it is situational. Our housing cost is very high. High enough, so we should be paying larger market wages, which they are unwilling to. Hence, their inability to attract other experienced techs. We're at Seattle level of living expenses, and small town midwest wages. It's enough of a disparity, that if we weren't already here, I would never have moved here. I could get a serious pay raise going to an independent shop, and that shouldn't be the case.

If I was willing to move to another area about 3 hours away, near a very well to do region, I'd bump my pay 20-40,000/yr. But housing there is worse than here by a fair bit.
Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Just about every industry where folks are working with their hands is in the same boat these days my friend.

I know it makes me sound old but I would give anything to have the skills and drive I had at 18 and entering a workforce that looks like it does today. I truly believe the young folks that are working with their hands now are going to be writing their own ticket over the next decade.
What's intriguing to me is, the number of kids that are opting out of college right now. College enrollment is down multiple percentage points 2021 and 22. A number of the students interviewed, basically figured out they could make real money right out of high school going to work. And no student loans. Apprentice programs for electricians and plumbers unions are screaming for people, and entry wages are $24-26/hr plus they pay for night classes. They have the potential of getting a journeyman's card by the time other kids are getting a bachelor's degree, and they'll have no debt and be making $30-35/hr at that time.

What happened, was Covid. By year two of mandatory learning at home, the kids were not as engaged and many got jobs. When they figured out doing farm work and trades paid real money, a lot of them took their diplomas after doing the minimal remainder to get them, and went to work. Many are concerned about $100K tuition for a four year degree, and being in debt until 35. Instead, they can go to work, take a decent wage for 4 years, and be making good money with no debt.

A lot have figured they'll work, get the credentials, then take night classes to a degree doing remote learning all while making a living, and pay for their college as they go.

Northernlites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
We have been going to the same Chrysler dealership for over 20 years. Dealt with the same salesman and purchased 7 new vehicles, and sent 5 other friends and family members there without a single issue. We have used the service and parts department with 100% satisfaction. I trust our dealer’s service department far more than any Joe Blow corner car repair shop. There are good dealerships out there believe it or not.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
I think part of the problem is with the complexity of today’s cars. You have to be a pretty damn good tech to work on these things, so the best bet is to buy something either reliable or simple.

Donkeyshot

First Name
guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited night eagle
A few years ago we had an exellent dealer and it was always the chief mechanic working on my Jeep and everything was done exellent.
The dealership was bought by a bigger dealer that sells other car brands and since then it began going down.
The first time the mechanic stole some of my workgear that was in the back of the car and the second time when I got home I noticed an oil leak that covered the transmission and the underside of the engine in oil. I drove it back to the dealership and they claim the oilcooler is cracked, so i suspect they broke it while working on it.
The big problem is that I live in Europe and not much other mechanics have experience with Jeeps (and a lot of them prefer not touching them because Jeeps are known here to be not the most reliable vehicle) so I have no other choice than return to that dealership.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I think part of the problem is with the complexity of today’s cars. You have to be a pretty damn good tech to work on these things, so the best bet is to buy something either reliable or simple.
It's a factor for sure, the electronics and the integration are a rough go. There are horror stories, and I'll just say that I'm NOT in the market for an electric car, or anything highly saturated with features.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
We have been going to the same Chrysler dealership for over 20 years. Dealt with the same salesman and purchased 7 new vehicles, and sent 5 other friends and family members there without a single issue. We have used the service and parts department with 100% satisfaction.
Unfortunately this is the exception and not the rule. I have no doubt these types of dealerships exist, but I've never found one.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
What's intriguing to me is, the number of kids that are opting out of college right now. College enrollment is down multiple percentage points 2021 and 22. A number of the students interviewed, basically figured out they could make real money right out of high school going to work.
My old high school was recently torn down/rebuilt. When I attended there were two programs: college prep and vocational. It will reopen as vocational exclusively.

That's a strong message.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear the positive feedback of the 105K mile 2.0L turbo engine. I am tired of hearing that it's not proven to be reliable (mainly from jealous v6 owners)... 🤔

Anywho, yeah dealers suck! đź’Ż
Do as much as you can in your garage before you go to theirs. 🙏

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Need to look for tier3 Jeep mechanics. Its been my experience that all Jeep dealers are NOT the same. Some dealershipships are union some are not. The Jeep dealers that are not may pay as little as $20-25 an hour for their mechanics. You get what the dealership pays for!!!!

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm not understanding this thread. The OP says his Jeep has been a model of reliability. Then proceeds to share an interminable list of issues with his Jeep.

I'd have sold any vehicle that would give me even 1/2 the problems.

I think that is what leads to the Wrangler's poor reliability. Owners (myself included at times) seem to go out of their way to excuse everything.

What is the incentive for Jeep to do better?

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
they are what they are - even when we know better we still take our vehicles to the dealer for service - spark plug change in 2012 Grand Cherokee is a nightmare so I thought - they have a ton of experience etc etc - nope they broke every clamp I was afraid of breaking, failed to route a hose correctly and broke my washer fluid nozzle - so short of replacing the plugs - I had to redo everything else -

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Toyota dealership not immune to problems. Our 4runner has had occasional leaks from poor quality oil changes. During warranty period I only service at the dealers. Avoids having to prove maintenance occurred at a later date.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I'd say a safer bet is 1 in 10.

Mine wasn't even repair-oriented. It was the half-eaten bean buritto I found seeping into the perforated leather rear seat after servicing my new GC at the dealership. You can't make this stuff up.
Well....a co-worker had his BMW serviced at the local dealer and found....a used condom in the back seat...

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR
To that point, is there a Jeep dealer in the Columbus, Ohio area that has performed well for anyone out there? If so, I would appreciate passing on the information.
Sponsored