Sponsored

Beware: RRT’s Applied to Your 4xe May Brick It!!

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
More of a public service announcement, but please be cautious when having Rapid Response Transmittals (RRT) applied to your 4xe until Jeep fixes this issue or at least discuss with your technician prior. I’m one of two people, at least on this forum, that are currently experiencing bricked battery packs after having software updates applied at the dealer. Our Jeeps will now sit in dealer parking lots for a few weeks waiting for replacement batteries to come in.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dealer-service-issue.93272/

For what it’s worth, it appears Jeep needs to fix their internal software.

Apparently when they send RRT’s, there are supposed to be service notifications that pop up for the technician to review prior to applying them, advising if certain steps need to be taken to update the vehicle. On one of the RRT’s, this notification doesn’t appear until AFTER the update is applied. This process can’t be reversed or cleared, and leads to a bricking of the battery. 🤬

If Jeep doesn’t fix this soon, I can only imagine the costs they’ll incur having to replace a bunch of batteries. Those things aren’t cheap! This isn’t a dealer issue, this is a Stellantis issue, and now I’m without my Jeep that worked perfectly prior to the software update.

Unreal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
After a bad experience years ago, my general policy is to not permit software updates on a properly running vehicle.

I have gone so far as to put a seal and warning tag on the OBD port when going into a shop.

Over time it’s gotten more difficult to refuse due to manufacturers pushing service technicians to apply them, and the OTA systems used in some vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wranglerbro

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
After a bad experience years ago, my general policy is to not permit software updates on a properly running vehicle.

I have gone so far as to put a seal and warning tag on the OBD port when going into a shop.

Over time it’s gotten more difficult to refuse due to manufacturers pushing service technicians to apply them, and the OTA systems used in some vehicles.
Agreed. Would refusing updates lead to Jeep voiding a warranty? I don’t know.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Agreed. Would refusing updates lead to Jeep voiding a warranty? I don’t know.
Depends on what kind of repair is needed as I see it. If it’s an electronics issue, the first thing the service manual will tell them is hook up a scanner and make sure all updates are applied. Hard to expect them to repair it while constraining them. They’ll just tell you to get lost.

OTOH, I wouldn’t be happy to go in for a front end alignment or anything strictly mechanical and find out later they’d applied software. No need.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Do you recall which RRT this was? Might be useful to post the number, since there have been multiple ones issued for the 4xe. This should have been included in the notes of service receipt.

OP
OP
wranglerbro

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Do you recall which RRT this was? Might be useful to post the number, since there have been multiple ones issued for the 4xe. This should have been included in the notes of service receipt.
I don’t have to receipt yet as it’s still at the service center waiting for the battery replacement to arrive. As soon as I have that, I’m happy to share with the forum so people know what to look for.

Sponsored

danielhira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
I suspect this may be what happened to me as well. 4xe built in April 2021, went in for first oil change + tire rotation yesterday at ~5.5k mi and they opportunistically did Y46 HV cable connector seal inspection+recall, RRT 21-122, RRT 21-123, RRT 21-124, RRT 21-126, RRT 21-127, RRT 21-137, RRT 21-170. Took 3 hours and while I was waiting I noticed multiple Charging Fault notifications in the Uconnect app. They finished after 5pm so sent me on my way declaring everything was finished.

Overnight the car did not charge, and this morning it had a "Service Charging System" error on the dash and a CEL. I just dropped it back at the dealer and they said they need to talk to STAR but the tech suspects needing to replace either the ICDM or battery pack, so now I'm stuck with a crappy rental car.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
This kind of ridiculousness is exactly why I avoid the stealership. I’ve got a recall notice regarding the odometer issue but I’m holding off until Stellantis gets their collective $hit together. Don’t need them doing an update that’s gonna brick my Jeep after swapping the cluster/applying the update.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I’ve got a recall notice regarding the odometer
Be aware that the odometer fix is just a quick update if you're below the mileage threshold (13kish if memory serves) and requires a gauge cluster replacement, with all the delays that go with it, if you're above the mileage threshold

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Be aware that the odometer fix is just a quick update if you're below the mileage threshold (13kish if memory serves) and requires a gauge cluster replacement, with all the delays that go with it, if you're above the mileage threshold
That’s where my issue comes in. I’m below the threshold by quite a bit still. I’m just hesitant to even have them apply the update if there’s more updates I need that could potentially ruin a perfectly good working vehicle.

OP
OP
wranglerbro

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I suspect this may be what happened to me as well. 4xe built in April 2021, went in for first oil change + tire rotation yesterday at ~5.5k mi and they opportunistically did Y46 HV cable connector seal inspection+recall, RRT 21-122, RRT 21-123, RRT 21-124, RRT 21-126, RRT 21-127, RRT 21-137, RRT 21-170. Took 3 hours and while I was waiting I noticed multiple Charging Fault notifications in the Uconnect app. They finished after 5pm so sent me on my way declaring everything was finished.

Overnight the car did not charge, and this morning it had a "Service Charging System" error on the dash and a CEL. I just dropped it back at the dealer and they said they need to talk to STAR but the tech suspects needing to replace either the ICDM or battery pack, so now I'm stuck with a crappy rental car.
I’m sorry your dealing with this too. If a vehicle comes in working perfectly, it should absolutely leave that way.

Now my fingers are crossed my Jeep doesn’t get damaged in the battery replacement process and works exactly like it did the morning I brought it in.
Sponsored