Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger Sport S Unlimited 2019 JL
Occupation
Pilot
Hi guys,

I recently bought the Mishimoto snorkel kit for our JL and installed it. The snorkel looks of decent quality and came nicely packed. While it didn’t come with ANY instructions you can download these on their website but it’s weird you won’t include this with a product. The cutout template included was too small after measuring as per the instructions and I needed to reprint the cutout template with the correct scale.

The installation further went like a breeze and no issues further up until the little trim piece for the hood cut out.
Mishimoto uses a flexible thick rubber piece that you need to glue onto the hood. I bought some of the Sika black silicon, JB welt black silicon, Permatex black silicon and the result for all of them was the same, it would stick to the paint of the car around the cutout but not the slightest bit on the rubber trim piece.
I thought maybe I’m impatient and tried again and again even leaving the tape that I used to hold the trim piece in place for the silicon to cure over 24h on there, the result was the same, it would just simply fall off.
The rubber seems coated and resists bonding to anything.
I reached out several times to Mishimoto and all I was told is just use different glue. I’ve asked for their recommended glues and tried those with the same exact result.
I ended up buying black aluminium rivets and rivet the trim piece on but as you probably can imagine the rivets pull through the rubber and it just doesn’t look nice and clean at all. As the rivets pull the rubber off of the paint sealing was needed so resulting in nasty gap with silicone filling.
I have sent the pictures to Mishimoto and they were kind enough to reach out and talk with the sales team about a compensation of some kind as this is clearly not the intended way of installing. Having said that, they have left me hanging in there for over 2 weeks now with zero updates and zero compensation and zero solution .

Just wanted to leave this information here for anyone looking to install or buy a Mishimoto snorkel for their JL or JT as I think there’s better options out there for this price that look way cleaner once installed, and their support is just non existing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL 656C758D-F64A-44C2-B403-3B0A77D8D1C9
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL 62AAF69D-A15B-4239-A396-E7A8F7489FD8
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL C16EBA01-1AFF-4DDD-9E52-6742E21032B5
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL 91C0423F-C793-4DD3-AB63-410EB267B9F4
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL CE4C01C5-35F3-424E-B207-263FC5CE54B8
Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's concerning. They have a good rep, so I hope they work to make this right for you and to ensure nobody else experiences this.

OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
An update on 17/09/2021:

Mishimoto just replied my email for a status update that they are trying to contact Quadratec (where I bought the snorkel originally) to see if they are willing to work for some kind of compensation on behalf of Mishimoto . Glad to have heard something back and it’s only fair to post the hood as well not just the bad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Just another short update:

It’s now well over 1 month of waiting and I’m just left hanging in there. No refunds can be made as I purchased through Quadratec and Mishimoto doesn’t want to refund through PayPal as long as it’s not bought through them directly. Only offer is store credit for Mishimoto which I declined as I have no need for any other products of them especially after looking at the customer service level and quality.

So when you opt to buy this snorkel set and you run in trouble you better bought it through then otherwise too bad!

Rant over for now, starting to loose my patience now with them! @Mishimoto

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mishimoto / Steve
@Quadratec

Now, after reading in this thread, I am very hesitant to recommend any and all Mishimoto products any longer.

Is there a valid reason why Mishimoto did not work with this buyer and now the buyer is here complaining that Mishimoto left him hanging in regard to what seems to be a very valid issue.

For Mishimoto to only offer @Ricootje0311, "Store Credit" and that is it, is absolutely laughable.... To me, it seems he should get a partial refund at the least.

I'm curious what other forum member's think about this thread.... the buyer's issue.... ?

OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
@Mishimoto / Steve
@Quadratec

Now, after reading in this thread, I am very hesitant to recommend any and all Mishimoto products any longer.

Is there a valid reason why Mishimoto did not work with this buyer and now the buyer is here complaining that Mishimoto left him hanging in regard to what seems to be a very valid issue.

For Mishimoto to only offer @Ricootje0311, "Store Credit" and that is it, is absolutely laughable.... To me, it seems he should get a partial refund at the least.

I'm curious what other forum member's think about this thread.... the buyer's issue.... ?
Thanks for your support @Rhinebeck01 . I so far have been patient with them and been replying their emails. They have been trying to work something out with Quadratec they say but it’s the sales team and their support team and communications within Mishimoto seem to be BAD. It takes a long time for them to reply messages.

I generally don’t want to complain much but I think I’ve been patient enough with over 1 month of waiting and email correspondence with them.
Its also surprising that no one from @Mishimoto even replies in this thread even while they’ve been tagged several times.
On the other hand I did some more digging and lots of complaints come up from the past about quality issues. Seems that still isn’t solved unfortunately.

OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Update, I’m just leaving this screenshot here so everyone can see the “amazing” customer service of @Mishimoto . *sarcastic*

Just for everyone to see that once you have legit case with any of their products they won’t provide any support if not bought through them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware Mishimoto snorkel JL 51456D63-A46C-4650-A008-E04EBD360CCF

OP
OP
Ricootje0311

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Hopefully final update:

I received an email yesterday from Mishimoto that they heard back from Quadratec that they are willing to give a courtesy refund of 10%.

I do hope that the issues will get fixed on future snorkels of them so no one has to go through the same issue again.
Sponsored