Better than factory non-LED headlights w/o 2nd mortgage on home

kj11

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport Altitude
Modest home for $200k with 20% down with todays interest, would have principle and interest payment around $850. It’s possible, at least for the area I am moving.
Good for anyone that can find that. The average home price is about $375k. I could probably sell an eighth of an acre in my backyard for $200k. Ha
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been running the SV4 bulb shown in this video for a couple years. There is plenty of brightness and it's well controlled, with a good cutoff and wide beam. They won't leave you wanting more light. ~$208 from theretrofitsource.com or Headlight Revolution. Buy from a reputable source. The chinese are cloning other chinese stuff that gets a good rep.

Last edited:

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Beamtech h13 leds off Amazon work with the halogen reflectors and cost about $30-$40. I got the higher lumen set.
Make sure you check your state laws before you go this route. I was looking at doing this to save some cash but here in Va you can't put a LED bulb in a housing for a halogen. They will pop you on inspection for that and you'll have to change them for it to pass. If you go LED it has to be a complete housing swap.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Don't buy eBay or Amazon junk. Go to Headlight Revolution and buy quality LED bulbs designed with halogen housings in mind. They are amazing. The output and beam patterns will blow you away. I have used the GTR Ultra 2 and Supernova V.4 and I prefer the V.4 simply because it performs the same for a slight bit less cost.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you check your state laws before you go this route. I was looking at doing this to save some cash but here in Va you can't put a LED bulb in a housing for a halogen. They will pop you on inspection for that and you'll have to change them for it to pass. If you go LED it has to be a complete housing swap.
Ah yeah I didn’t even think about that for those who have to do inspections.

no inspections for me at all, I just pay $112 a year and I’m good.

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh

Lucky. I know some states are easy about that stuff and some, like mine, are bastards about it. Just hate to see someone waste money and time only to have to take it all back out.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh

Are you heading over to Pigeon Forge for the invasion this year? I just booked my hotel for that week.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Are you heading over to Pigeon Forge for the invasion this year? I just booked my hotel for that week.
Maybe, it’s right around the time of my gf’s birthday and I’m not sure that’s her idea of a good time lol! My dad is switching out his JLU for a JT so I may try and convince him to come up from Charlotte as well. He’s got a small camper that has everything except a shower so may be more fun than a hotel.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
It's actually that there are no DOT-approved LED headlight bulbs and illegal in EVERY state. You can modify almost any light but the factory headlight. Whatever it came with is approved. If you swap, it better be OEM DOT displaying replacements as in the entire assembly. Someone else suggested it, you can go with aftermarket LED headlights if DOT approved.

Enforcement is another story. I live in Virginia as well and I see all kinds of non-OEM setups with inspection stickers.

Install the bulbs correctly, aim your lights correctly, and you'll be fine. Find an inspection place that other Jeepers go to :)

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
It's actually that there are no DOT-approved LED headlight bulbs and illegal in EVERY state. You can modify almost any light but the factory headlight. Whatever it came with is approved. If you swap, it better be OEM DOT displaying replacements as in the entire assembly. Someone else suggested it, you can go with aftermarket LED headlights if DOT approved.

Enforcement is another story. I live in Virginia as well and I see all kinds of non-OEM setups with inspection stickers.

Install the bulbs correctly, aim your lights correctly, and you'll be fine. Find an inspection place that other Jeepers go to :)
I know you can swap the whole assembly. That's what I'm going to do. And I do really need to find out where the jeepers around here go because the place I used with my other cars are sticklers on everything.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some of you know this, but others may not.

There are no "DOT approved" lights. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are published by a branch of DOT. These requirements include test methods and criteria. Manufacturers are required to meet these standards and attest to having met them. Basically, they are on an honor system.

On headlight and tailight assemblies, the permanent mark "DOT...." signifies the manufacturer attests to having met the applicable FMVSS.

Rant....
US motor vehicle deaths have averaged 40,000 /year from 2000 to 2020. That's 800,000 deaths

US commercial air carriers (airlines) have had 780 deaths in that same 20 years, some of those years no deaths occurred.

Yet the US DOT hardly surveils car makers, and spends a ton of budget overseeing airplane makers and airlines.
Where's the cost-benefit analysis for that?
Rant over.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Some of you know this, but others may not.

There are no "DOT approved" lights. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are published by a branch of DOT. These requirements include test methods and criteria. Manufacturers are required to meet these standards and attest to having met them. Basically, they are on an honor system.

On headlight and tailight assemblies, the permanent mark "DOT...." signifies the manufacturer attests to having met the applicable FMVSS.

Rant....
US motor vehicle deaths have averaged 40,000 /year from 2000 to 2020. That's 800,000 deaths

US commercial air carriers (airlines) have had 780 deaths in that same 20 years, some of those years no deaths occurred.

Yet the US DOT hardly surveils car makers, and spends a ton of budget overseeing airplane makers and airlines.
Where's the cost-benefit analysis for that?
Rant over.
So you’re saying the answer is to get a letter impressionist kit, and stamp DOT on the rings? :)
Sponsored