Sponsored

Better QC Outcome From Custom Order?

Did Your Custom Order Jeep Have A Good QC Outcome?

• Total voters

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
What was the ticking in you engine? Lifter, roller?

I assumed they corrected the fairly common ticking and valve train problems of the Pentastar. Guess I was wrong. I found this youtube video of a new 3.6 with valve train failure. Ticking valve train and seized roller bearing on the same engine you have.

This is a link to a JK Pentastar with the ticking. They had the ticking and coincidentally leaking rear seal.

https://adventurebent.com/pentastar-tick-returns/

I hope they repair or replace your JL. Good Luck.
I did a custom order in January of 2018. No major problems and loving it.
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They replaced the entire valve train on the passenger side. If you look up my short post history you can find the thread I created for my issue, there is a picture of the full repair order in there.

I'm supposedly getting a call from the owner this week about my situation. 3 major repairs, 2 major seal leaks, I don't care if I technically do not meet the lemon laws here in NY I 100% have a lemon.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
They replaced the entire valve train on the passenger side. If you look up my short post history you can find the thread I created for my issue, there is a picture of the full repair order in there.

I'm supposedly getting a call from the owner this week about my situation. 3 major repairs, 2 major seal leaks, I don't care if I technically do not meet the lemon laws here in NY I 100% have a lemon.
I hope you get a reasonable resolution. Good luck with this.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Absolutely not, custom ordered mine..... The head has been off the vehicle twice for Loud Ticking Sound and then a bad valve cover seal leaking oil onto an o2 sensor causing massive misfires on the highway, CEL came on at 500 miles for a bad wiring harness that was replaced, vehicle had strong pull to the right which was fixed with an alignment, and currently I am leaking oil from a bad Rear Main Seal.....

My custom ordered Rubicon has been a complete piece of shit, lol.
@HeavyUser,
We are terribly sorry to hear this about your Jeep. Feel free to send our team a private message if you would like our additional assistance during your dealer visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
In a world where most everything is a “sub-assembly”, I doubt very much that it’s even possible for there to be a “quality” difference.

engines are made, in one place based on overall demand. They are then mated with a chassis
Same with transmissions
Same with axles
Same with seats
Same
Same
Same

If there is an issue with a seat, it started long before the actual seat was mated to an order associated with a customer. And, I do not believe that a worker on the final assembly line would treat one vehicle “better” than another.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a world where most everything is a “sub-assembly”, I doubt very much that it’s even possible for there to be a “quality” difference.

engines are made, in one place based on overall demand. They are then mated with a chassis
Same with transmissions
Same with axles
Same with seats
Same
Same
Same

If there is an issue with a seat, it started long before the actual seat was mated to an order associated with a customer. And, I do not believe that a worker on the final assembly line would treat one vehicle “better” than another.
I don't think they treat one differently then the other but there's room for human error.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I doubt the assembly line workers care if its a sold order or not. Both are ultimately going to customers. I like to believe generally speaking, most people want to do a job well, or at least good enough. If they get a bad part, and install it, they may not know its bad to begin with. If they know its an employees Jeep, maybe they care more...or maybe not depending on who it is.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
custom order or not. the jeeps are all assembled in the same line and the line workers are going to build the jeep in the same way.

i went to the corvette factory tour and toured the factory floor. watched the vettes being built by the line workers. i couldnt tell you which vette is customed ordered or not. the only hint a vette was being built for a customer is when the customer is getting a private tour watching there vette being built.

same goes for the ford f-150 assembly plant. yes i did the tour. not on the factory floor like the corvette, but you walk on the balcony and watch them down below. ford was kind of limited where corvette gave you a almost full factory tour.

either way if you jeepers are around these plants. i recommend that you do the tour. i've enjoyed it.

now if jeep bring back the tour, i'll make that trip and check it out.

in any aspect. the auto workers take pride in building the vehicles.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
custom order or not. the jeeps are all assembled in the same line and the line workers are going to build the jeep in the same way.

i went to the corvette factory tour and toured the factory floor. watched the vettes being built by the line workers. i couldnt tell you which vette is customed ordered or not. the only hint a vette was being built for a customer is when the customer is getting a private tour watching there vette being built.

same goes for the ford f-150 assembly plant. yes i did the tour. not on the factory floor like the corvette, but you walk on the balcony and watch them down below. ford was kind of limited where corvette gave you a almost full factory tour.

either way if you jeepers are around these plants. i recommend that you do the tour. i've enjoyed it.

now if jeep bring back the tour, i'll make that trip and check it out.

in any aspect. the auto workers take pride in building the vehicles.
The Corvette factory in Bowling Green is great. I go every chance I can when I am down there. The National Corvette Museum is great also. Plus they have a racetrack by it now.

JEEP should do Wrangler factory tours. I;d definitely make the drive to go if they did. They should build a short course so people can get an idea of the Wrangler's capabilities. Make it a tourist attraction.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been selling FCA products for the past few years, and I cannot speak to the quality directly as I do not know exactly how the manufacturing plants processing works but... I do know they prioritize sold orders before dealer inventory, and will also do this specifically when certain parts are low for options. From my experience a sold order will always get here sooner. If we have a unit ordered in the system waiting to be built and place a customers name on it (moving it to a Sold Order), we will see it much sooner than the other orders placed at the same time.

I don’t personally think that it crosses the assemblers mind... “This is a sold order so I am going to double check it”, because at the end of the day every Jeep finds an owner, so the quality needs to be similar.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
FCA Toledo has an assembly line where workers install a widget on each Jeep Wrangler. They install a widget on one Jeep, then install the same widget on the next Jeep. They install that same widget on every Jeep that rolls across the line. That's their job. They don't know (or care) which one is special ordered - they just install their widget... day in, and day out. It's called an assembly line and it was made popular by Henry Ford.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My ordered Jeep arrived with a basket of warm cookies in the front passenger seat.
Sponsored