Sponsored

Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management.

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
@fresh air 1 installed that updated front strip for the headliner yesterday. It does fit up behind that clip pretty snug. Only issue I had was getting some of the old adhesive material off. Other than that it appears to be working well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230608_164959334
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230608_165010148

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Added some mopar LCAs. Pretty straightforward. Did not take any pictures, they look just like the ones that came with it but 1/4 inch longer.

There was a noticeable difference in the steering feel. It wasn't bad before but it feels better now.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Well yeah, that's the long arm kit. Still need all the other lift bits. 😂

I have the 8 control arms for awesome articulation and LOTS of adjustability to put the axles right where they belong.

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-duroflex-control-arms-full-set.html

$1,061.10 with free shipping if you wait for their next sale. 😁

OR

You can buy my old and dirty ones for $800 and I'll spend the money on new so I can get them painted bronze before installing them. 🤔

Actually, I'd look for aluminum arms to use with their duralink bushings. Paint those bronze. 🙌

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Added some Artec rear lca skids over the weekend. Their installation was inspired by the looks of my driver's side rear shock mount as you can see below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230627_032557523

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230627_032621072

Installation was easy, just required a few taps with a hammer to get them lined up.

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Cavfab Ultra Clearance bumper showed up as well. I particularly liked the fragile stickers all over the box.

Did have an issue though, when painting it after it was cleaned with brake cleaner and degreaser after the first few coats of paint had dried sufficiently we noticed both started flaking off. It turns out the paint and primer we were using had different bases.

Wire wheel on a drill cleaned it up nicely and then we started over. Paint seems to be sticking much better now. Will have install pics soon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. 2023-06-26 23_05_57-Window

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. 2023-06-26 22_57_23-Photo - Google Photos - Brave

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. 2023-06-26 22_57_06-Window

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Cavfab ultra clearance rear bumper and Teraflex license plate relocation installed. Still have some wiring to do. I need to order some hardware to mount the sensors. Some of them appear to be out of stock, so that's awesome. Might have to buy a steel rear bumper cheep and steal them off of it.

There is so much more clearance over the stock one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230628_012502338

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230628_001011375
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230628_012515261
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230628_001039800

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Cavfab ultra clearance rear bumper and Teraflex license plate relocation installed. Still have some wiring to do. I need to order some hardware to mount the sensors. Some of them appear to be out of stock, so that's awesome. Might have to buy a steel rear bumper cheep and steal them off of it.

There is so much more clearance over the stock one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. PXL_20230628_001039800

When you have that much clearance the spare tire becomes the hang up. Might be worth sourcing/making a hitch stinger or whatever people call it.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Cavfab Ultra Clearance bumper showed up as well. I particularly liked the fragile stickers all over the box.

Did have an issue though, when painting it after it was cleaned with brake cleaner and degreaser after the first few coats of paint had dried sufficiently we noticed both started flaking off. It turns out the paint and primer we were using had different bases.

Wire wheel on a drill cleaned it up nicely and then we started over. Paint seems to be sticking much better now. Will have install pics soon.

I’m curious, what primer/paints did not match up? I painlessly primered and enameled my sliders and I had rust spots all over, and now just spray dull-ass looking rustoleum on them as touch up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. IMG_1109

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I’m curious, what primer/paints did not match up? I painlessly primered and enameled my sliders and I had rust spots all over, and now just spray dull-ass looking rustoleum on them as touch up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. IMG_1109
Had it sent to a buddies place and he primed it first, not sure what primer he used. The paint was Dupli Color flat back engine enamel. I had some that I painted some brackets in my engine bay with and the color matched my rims, so I decided to try it out on my bumper for that reason only.

I am guessing it will fade in the sun, but I figured I would try it and see how it goes. This bumper is fairly easy to remove, so worse case it starts to look like crap and I take it off and repaint it.

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I ordered some sensor retainers from Metalcloak, but they won't get here until after I leave for a Jeep adventure, so I also ordered some from DV8 off of Amazon. I received the DV8 ones today.

First off the finish of the DV8 ones is terrible. It took me 30 minutes to clean up all the excess flash left over from molding. After doing that I test fit one and realized that they are for a much thinner bumper. Nowhere did I see what thickness these would work on. I checked 3 sites they were for sale to try to find that information DV8's own site, extreme terrain and amazon. I did manage to cut one down to get it to fit, but in all honesty they do not fit together well and I'm not sure I trust them to hold. I guess I will just wait until after I am back to put the Metalcloak ones in.

The Metalcloak ones do state that they are for 3/16 bumpers.

OP
OP
gek

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I ended up making the DV8 ones work, mostly because I didn't want to separate the harness just so I could get my license plate light working. I ended up cutting some off of the clip then sanding them down on a flat surface until they fit snug. Then I put a 1/4 zip tie around each one and tightened as much as I could to make sure the clips stayed connected. It seems to work.

So much to do in preparation for our upcoming trip that I forgot to take any pictures other than this one when routing the wiring for the license plate light.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Late Than Never - A tale of addiction and poor money management. 1688568638035
Sponsored