Sponsored

Better Get the Jeep loaded up. Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Got three Jeeps going with us. Two from Michigan and one from Ohio. If you have run this and have any suggestions, let me know.

We are going to hotel/motel it this weekend as the Youtube vids look like it is to rough to tow the campers down some of it.

Should be these Jeeps with us.

A lifted Trail hawk
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1636643456989

This 2dr
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1636643635352

and me

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1636643876252

If you see us, give us a wave or stop and say hi.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I'll be on those trails Sunday. Joining up with an event held by Dan Cummins Off-Road. I've heard mention of one or two other groups planning events there this weekend too so I think we'll all have plenty of company. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've read some of your trip posts in the past and look forward to saying "hey".

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I'll be on those trails Sunday. Joining up with an event held by Dan Cummins Off-Road. I've heard mention of one or two other groups planning events there this weekend too so I think we'll all have plenty of company. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've read some of your trip posts in the past and look forward to saying "hey".
We will be on channel 21 for the GMRS radios.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So it rained it ass off all the way down to the Daniel Boone National forest. It was muddy at times. We ended up having to pull the Cherokee about 4 times as it did not have the clearance to get through some of the spots. Note it is lifted on 31.

I am the only one that did not need to be winched or yanked with the rope.

This is steeper than the photo shows.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145267915

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145382237

She is a driver and has no fear. Probably out wheel most on this forum. Granted, she doesn't help fix the Jeep either so that is never weighing on her mind as she sends it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145501507

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145547115

Recovery gear was used many times. So of course there is a clean up to it. Anyone else use the hotel tub to clean up your recovery gear?
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145638317

Even the Fob got in on the action.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145674095

The dog looking at me, looking at the duck. The duck was given to us by four women from our Jeep club and told take it on an adventure. I am taking the duck to the Atlantic Ocean, The Gulf of Mexico, the Arctic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, the desert and many mountain tops over the next year.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637145911026

I cooked dinner both days out on the trail. the Coconut Mango Curry chicken with nan bread was a hit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146011798

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146085504

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146144099

Got to love Jeep girls. Nothing better!
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146235305

Got home and put brakes on the Cherokee. Even after 4 car washes, there was still mud everywhere

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146367626

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146420807

I may have to spin the tires to clean them out. The clay stuck to everything.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146507853

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146560550

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146612383

If you can't tell by now, I like pics of muddy Cooper STT PRO tires. Like this shot with my wife in the background.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146704997

The pic does not do it justice. This was a steep climb + all the mud. Over all, the Cherokee has impressed me with its capability. For 95% of the trails, it is sufficient, only lacking when it runs out of tire size.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146846802

A different spot giving the Cherokee a little tug.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146935583

Had to stack some rocks to get the front bumper out of the mud before it could be tugged at this spot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637146990750

Found a house for sale out in the woods. Listed it for $450,000. I know what I got, no low ballers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637147054509

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637147931090

Not much of an obstacle, but hey still fun.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148061896

Just a little to much off set in the wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148201539

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148238827

one of the few signs along the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148316980

We did drive the Nana Tunnel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148417045

We did not run the whole loop as there was a lot of blacktop roads. This is a map showing you the loop of the Backcountry Byway. I use Gaia and Gaia has the whole loop mapped so it is easy to follow. The pic is a good reference to show you where the better wheeling is at.
Jeep Wrangler JL Better Get the Jeep loaded up.  Off to the Daniel Boone National Forest to run the Back Country Byway. Now with Pics. 1637148558240

So we enjoyed the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway. The wheeling was not overly hard for wrangler on 37s, it was tough on the Cherokee with 31s. #9 took about five hours to go across as there was a bunch of tugging and winching on the Cherokee. The 2dr Rubicon on 37s had to be winched twice. It was muddy. If it was dry, it would have been way easier.

The closest area to the Byway with lodging was 25 miles. so each day it was a drive to get to the trails. There was one motel that was closer, but it was full.

Overall, it is a fun trail run, but it is a one time deal. The nice thing is the scenery was beautiful even from the blacktop sections. It is a dangerous place to drive as even the blacktop sections are just slightly wider than a single lane and you almost have to pull off the road to pass on coming traffic. There are many blind corners and many hills that you can not see over as you crest them. It would be very easy to get into an accident in this area on the road. There is zero shoulder on most of the roads with rocky deep ditches on both sides. There is no day dreaming while driving on these roads.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Looks like a great time thanks for sharing!
Where are y’all off to next?

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looks like a great time thanks for sharing!
Where are y’all off to next?
We leave after Thanksgiving to North Carolina and then to Florida.

We will be in Texas in the first week of January for some wheeling. Plan to spend a couple days on the gulf coast and wheel in Big Ben. Will probably stop in Hot Springs AK and wheel for a day or two on our way to Texas.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Thank you so much Ted for an outstanding drive report. This is a first for me reading one of these. I'm used to ride reports!! Very detailed and concise description.

That part of the country is beautiful. But man oh man the mud. We don't have that out here in the West.

I know exactly what you are saying about pictures doing no justice. Some of those mud hills looked downright spooky. You and your crew have some serious off road skills!!

Your pictorial report was actually better than some of those fancy YouTube videos in describing the advantages and disadvantages of larger tires, offsets and lifts.

I'm telling you the more I see what these rigs can do in the right hands the more I want one over a 4Runner. I'm blown away at the capability of these Wranglers.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We leave after Thanksgiving to North Carolina and then to Florida.

We will be in Texas in the first week of January for some wheeling. Plan to spend a couple days on the gulf coast and wheel in Big Ben. Will probably stop in Hot Springs AK and wheel for a day or two on our way to Texas.
very cool. I need to pick up the BoH trails in Hot Springs myself. If you’re open to picking up strays send me the date you’ll be there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
very cool. I need to pick up the BoH trails in Hot Springs myself. If you’re open to picking up strays send me the date you’ll be there.
If all goes as planned we will leave Michigan on Jan 1st and head that way. So we should be there on the 3rd. The only unknown right now is one of my crew has a daughter that is pregnant and she is due on December 28th. He want to see his new granddaughter before we leave. So if she runs late a little bit, we may deal our departure. After all we will be gone 11 1/2 months so his new granddaughter will be walking and growing like crazy by the time he would see her againl

So You are more than welcome to join us if the timing works out. I will try and remember to send the dates as the time approaches.

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
I enjoyed your trip report and pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Good luck on your next adventure.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm thinking about doing this on a group ride this year. Do you think a fully stock JLU Rubicon would be able to tackle it?

It looked like 31's were a bit small, and the Rubicon in your trip had 37's. From what I researched, it looks like the areas where there may be issues is the river crossing and the rock garden.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I'm thinking about doing this on a group ride this year. Do you think a fully stock JLU Rubicon would be able to tackle it?

It looked like 31's were a bit small, and the Rubicon in your trip had 37's. From what I researched, it looks like the areas where there may be issues is the river crossing and the rock garden.
the trail Hawk had 32 inch tires on it. There were a couple places that he got hung up. I think a stock Rubicon for the most part would be okay. If it is wet like it was for us, a winch would be a good thing to have.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
the trail Hawk had 32 inch tires on it. There were a couple places that he got hung up. I think a stock Rubicon for the most part would be okay. If it is wet like it was for us, a winch would be a good thing to have.
Thanks for the information. The two areas that concern me the most are the river crossing and the rock garden. I've heard the river can get up to 36" deep. I don't know if things have changed in recent years though.
Sponsored