Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Took Indominus on my first legit "offroading" adventure since I moved to Washington state. Bethel Ridge central WA. Amazing place, fun trail, crazy views:
Jeep Wrangler JL Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth 71BB30F3-2D56-4D5C-8ABA-36E8B3A6CB83
Jeep Wrangler JL Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth 695DA909-B091-4294-B9A9-315E3BEFB33F
Jeep Wrangler JL Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth FE2FCED2-7160-4CF1-8ABC-34DC11D2EF59

But my absolute favorite part of the day: Crotalus oreganus, northern pacific rattlesnake. Majestic. Respect-demanding. Perfectly designed. So cool.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth B08D2FF1-F4B8-4D13-8D3C-AB8347791B83
Jeep Wrangler JL Bethel Ridge, edge of Earth E3E748B2-6F87-4A61-AE14-94D865395255
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
How did the snake take to you putting your cap over it?

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did the snake take to you putting your cap over it?

Later,
Johnny
It's somewhere in the top 10 of rules for field herping. Always wear a cap. Sunny days you lay your cap down and the subject will seek it out as a nearby shelter and rest under it. Lift the cap and be ready for your photo-op. Works great.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
It's somewhere in the top 10 of rules for field herping. Always wear a cap. Sunny days you lay your cap down and the subject will seek it out as a nearby shelter and rest under it. Lift the cap and be ready for your photo-op. Works great.
Since you are a herpetologist I'm sure that I don't have to tell you but - be careful out there. My nephew has been struck twice, both times by Eastern Diamondbacks I think. He was hospitalized both times. The second time he lost the little finger on his left hand. They thought for a couple or weeks that he was going to lose the whole hand.

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

OP
OP
blessidsoul12

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you are a herpetologist I'm sure that I don't have to tell you but - be careful out there. My nephew has been struck twice, both times by Eastern Diamondbacks I think. He was hospitalized both times. The second time he lost the little finger on his left hand. They thought for a couple or weeks that he was going to lose the whole hand.

Later,
Johnny
Thanks for the concern. And I am glad your nephew is still around! Yes, I have extensive experience with crotalids in the field. That in no way however makes me invincible and I know that. I have had many friends who also were what I would consider "experts" who have been tagged and one nearly lost his life. When I got married and started a family I made 2 promises to my family and myself- first to NEVER go out in the field alone whether offroading, hiking, or anything. If I can't find someone to accompany me then I am not going. Second is that I never have and never will intentionally put my hands on a venomous snake (scorpions are a different story). I never "tail" them and never grab them behind the head. I have my trusty MWT snake hook I carry with me and if I can't very gently manipulate them with that, then they get away and I am ok with that. I put natural and artificial cover back EXACTLY where and as I found it as well to make as little disturbance as possibe. They say curiosity killed the cat, but I saynit was complacency ;-)

-J