Sponsored

Bestop Trektop - Opinions / Pics Please!

OP
OP
cmb13

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Great pic, CJ, and thanks for sharing your thoughts! Any with the top and window off, or doors off?
Sponsored

rampart_ranger

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys XR
First off, just saw your pic in the 35's no lift thread, and man you've got a nice looking build great stance, and I see what you're saying about the lower profile on the Trektop you have. I just wish it also gave you the ability to go completely topless, easily. How complicated is it to remove the whole Trektop you have?
Thanks! Totally get it- the ability to go full topless was a must for my JKU which is why I went with the Glide. You could be fully topless in a few minutes but 1) it was heavy and awkward to put back, 2) the folded top blocked a lot of the view out the back of the Jeep, and 3) it had this “tenty” look that I never really fell in love with. It slanted up in the back and just wasn’t as sleek as I like it.

When I moved to my JLUR, I was disappointed Bestop didn’t have the TrektopUltra released yet, but I pulled the trigger in the Trektop NX. I’ve never fully removed the top, but I haven’t wanted to either. We have a car seat in the back and it’s really nice to have the back windows out, the sun rider open, but have some shade for the back seat. And when I’m wheeling alone, it doesn’t even matter since I can have the sun rider open. I thought it would be a big disadvantage but now I wouldn’t go back to the fully convertible.

OP
OP
cmb13

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had one in my jk, I really liked the look it gave it. I never noticed the lost space, and would wager a lot of people won't.

20151126_124448.jpg
Like it, and like the steps!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
First off, just saw your pic in the 35's no lift thread, and man you've got a nice looking build great stance, and I see what you're saying about the lower profile on the Trektop you have. I just wish it also gave you the ability to go completely topless, easily. How complicated is it to remove the whole Trektop you have?
It's a real PITA to take the entire top off because it isn't designed to do that. You've got to remove a handful of screws and then lift the entire things off.

Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
It's a real PITA to take the entire top off because it isn't designed to do that. You've got to remove a handful of screws and then lift the entire things off.
Darn, but I'm also not shocked. Makes total sense. Sounds more like a twice a year changeover than an every weekend think. Thank you.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Darn, but I'm also not shocked. Makes total sense. Sounds more like a twice a year changeover than an every weekend think. Thank you.
Yep. The Trek top sits real low and tight on the Jeep which is a very clean look. It's known as a frameless top which is how it achieves that look. A traditional top or the Ultra top will have a frame to it which allows it to be completely folded down.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I've been looking at getting a soft top, mainly because I want to be able to quickly and easily ride in the open air. I'm intrigued by the look of the Trektop, but I have some questions. First, and most importantly, it seems as it does not retract more than halfway. That seems like a real drawback. I like that the windows come out, and that you can drive in Safari mode. However, If the top doesn't come down (or at least mostly), why would anyone want this over the Mopar soft top? What's the draw?

Can anyone post pictures of the Trektop with doors off, up and down? I haven't found any. Thanks.
Hey @cmb13
Sorry for the late reply. It looks like your questions have been answered but here's a quick summary of the 2 options for JL Fastback tops.

Trektop: Flat profile across the top. Lower price point than the Ultra. Sunrider flips back from front seats. Great safari mode. Doesn't fold all the way back.

Trektop Ultra: Larger Sunrider opening requires that you open the Sunrider from outside the vehicle. Great safari mode as well, and folds completely back just like the OEM top.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
cmb13

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @cmb13
Sorry for the late reply. It looks like your questions have been answered but here's a quick summary of the 2 options for JL Fastback tops.

Trektop: Flat profile across the top. Lower price point than the Ultra. Sunrider flips back from front seats. Great safari mode. Doesn't fold all the way back.

Trektop Ultra: Larger Sunrider opening requires that you open the Sunrider from outside the vehicle. Great safari mode as well, and folds completely back just like the OEM top.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thank you.

Anyone else with cool pictures, post them up!!

OP
OP
cmb13

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about getting the back window open to store groceries, etc....is that possible without removing the window?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How about getting the back window open to store groceries, etc....is that possible without removing the window?
When you open the tailgate there is still a decent opening (the size of the tailgate) to put stuff in. You can even duck under the tailgate bar with relative ease. If you need the rear window out of the way simply unzip each side about 90% of the way and then just flop the rear window onto the roof.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Any word on a 2 door ultra?

Red Rock N Roll

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
International Quality Control Manager
Just had my Trek Top Ultra installed by the Bestop Factory Service guy last Thursday night. Took him from 5:30pm to midnight to remove the original factory soft top and finish the Ultra installation. Spend the $99.00 to have the Bestop FS guy do it, that way you have someone to call if something happens down the road. To be honest, even he struggled with this new top as the windows were tight and pulling them to wrap them into side and back lips was tough, tough! Haven't opened it up yet as I was told to let it sit in the sun for a few days to get the wrinkles out and that has worked pretty well, it is really tight and smooth. Got some amazing help from a local Jeep off road shop here in Chandler, who ordered from Bestop and received it in less than a week turn.

As soon as the temps here in Phoenix get back to normal, I will be pulling the top open and let you know. I can say that it will look amazing on your Jeep.

top 5.jpg

After 1.jpg

OP
OP
cmb13

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Scott, have fun with it. Can’t wait to see more pics!
Sponsored