Sponsored

Bestop Supertop Ultra vs OEM vs Trektop Ultra?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I currently have a Suntop with the fastback set up and want to switch to a soft top that I can leave on year round rather than swapping to the hard top in winter.

Are there any Supertop or Trektop Ultra owners out there who can comment on them? How is visibility when the top is full open and retracted? The OEM one seems to sit a little lower based on photos I've seen, but it is hard to tell.

How loud is it? Can you hold a normal conversation while driving at highway speeds?

Do you regret going with the Supertop or Trektop over the OEM one?
Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey @trouphaz
The hardware stack (as we call it) is basically identical to the OEM soft top when folded all the way back.
Yes, you can hold a conversation easily. Honestly you'll get more of an interior noise increase from tires. The Twill is also noticeably more quiet.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @trouphaz
The hardware stack (as we call it) is basically identical to the OEM soft top when folded all the way back.
Yes, you can hold a conversation easily. Honestly you'll get more of an interior noise increase from tires. The Twill is also noticeably more quiet.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Hello Lee, what are the differences? Ultimately, aside from price, why should I buy the Supertop Ultra instead of the OEM one? I'm still interested in the Trektop because I like the fastback styling, but I'm not 100% sure after facing some aggravation with the Suntop fastback.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Trektop. No louder than the hard top. Easy to have a conversation at any speed. Really enjoy it. :)

Pspot.jpg
hey dookey, thanks for the info. what do you need to do to get into the back of the car to load/unload larger items? one of my (more minor) complaints about the Suntop is that I have to unhook the rear window from the bottom and unzip the two sides to flip the window out of the way. i'm not sure if that is typical of the soft tops or if that is just unique to the Suntop.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is your JL 2 or 4 door ? The zippers and flip is easier than the Bestop or OEM , I had a zippered Trek Top on my JK and liked it better than sliding the whole back window out

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your JL 2 or 4 door ? The zippers and flip is easier than the Bestop or OEM , I had a zippered Trek Top on my JK and liked it better than sliding the whole back window out
i've got a 4 door and it is annoying when loading a bunch of 5 gallon water jugs or sticking a larger item in the back. smaller stuff i can just open the tailgate and stick it in without dealing with the window.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
hey dookey, thanks for the info. what do you need to do to get into the back of the car to load/unload larger items? one of my (more minor) complaints about the Suntop is that I have to unhook the rear window from the bottom and unzip the two sides to flip the window out of the way. i'm not sure if that is typical of the soft tops or if that is just unique to the Suntop.

That's how it works. Unzip the sides and roll it up. I guess I've been accustomed to it since I've only ever had soft tops on all of my Jeeps.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hello Lee, what are the differences? Ultimately, aside from price, why should I buy the Supertop Ultra instead of the OEM one? I'm still interested in the Trektop because I like the fastback styling, but I'm not 100% sure after facing some aggravation with the Suntop fastback.
You should be aware that Bestop has been the sole supplier to Jeep for their Wrangler soft tops since 1987. There aren't many differences between the OEM top and the Supertop Ultra, but the Bestop Supertop Ultra will have 2 latches in the back where the OEM has one. It will also have a better warranty and access to replacement parts. They are a very similar design :)

Keep the questions coming!
Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com