Sponsored

Bestop Sunrider

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Enjoying the open air, noise reduction, and ease of use but have some questions. I've attached a picture of the box when I walked up to it, and a picture of a piece I originally thought was purposely cut out because it had a bur on it. I'd only see the cut out when driving and assumed it was the same behind me, just never looked. I'm starting to think it came broken, but wouldn't that leave a clean break and not a bur? Thoughts?
@Bestop

Bestop Box.jpg

Bestop Cutout.jpg
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

100% doesn’t look right. That piece is damaged.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It works, but so do jeep door hinges with blistering paint :)
Contact @Bestop customer support. Send them pics of the box and damaged part. Hopefully they can send you a new top.

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'd just take a file to the sharp edges and be done with it.
On a side note one of the front latches you can feel it "clamping" and the other one closes but doesn't appear to compress the front gasket at all. Kind of afraid to hit it with the hose at this point.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
On a side note one of the front latches you can feel it "clamping" and the other one closes but doesn't appear to compress the front gasket at all. Kind of afraid to hit it with the hose at this point.
Definitely contact @Bestop

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I can tell you mine does not have that. I agree that it looks too smooth to be a break. For one, the right edge of the notch has a radius and it's not going to break like that.
It looks to me like someone notched it to fit something through there. I would surmise that it has been previously owned and returned. As if someone tried to make it work with something else, decided they weren't happy, and returned it.
FWIW, it won't affect function, but no I don't think it was broken.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It’s normal to have one side feel tighter than the other. My driver side takes a bit more effort to close than the passenger side.

If need be, you can adjust. Flip down the sun visor and you’ll see 2 felt pads. Remove them and you’ll see 2 bolts than you can loosen to adjust. Do t go crazy fully removing the bolts. Back them out just enough to be able to adjust. Replace the flat pads when done.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Also, to be more specific. I suspect it wasn't cut. It appears to have been ground. Based on my experience it looks like they cut it and used a rotary sander to smooth the edge.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Its normal to have one side feel tighter than the other. My driver side takes a bit more effort to close than the passenger side.

If need be, you can adjust. ....
Yeah I spent a little time dialing mine in. They feel the same now, but fresh out the box you'll probably have to adjust a bit if it doesn't feel exactly even.

OP
OP
Paulguy100

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I can tell you mine does not have that. I agree that it looks too smooth to be a break. For one, the right edge of the notch has a radius and it's not going to break like that.
It looks to me like someone notched it to fit something through there. I would surmise that it has been previously owned and returned. As if someone tried to make it work with something else, decided they weren't happy, and returned it.
FWIW, it won't affect function, but no I don't think it was broken.
I thought it was weird that when I ordered it @Bestop said they were on back order. The next day I got an email saying it was on it's way. Probably was a return then. Bummer.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Does it work?
I'd just take a file to the sharp edges and be done with it.
For what we pay for these SR tops it better be perfect when it hits my door step.

@Paulguy100 that is not right, heres mine

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider D12666C4-8813-4801-9F28-17D3B58E80A9

Also in regard to how tight the latches are, after I installed my SR the passenger side clamped down pretty snug but the driver side had almost no resistance but did not leak but I loosened up both factory points and adjusted them so they are almost identical and only took about 20 mins or so of going from side to side making small adjustments .

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I adjusted mine by loosening/tightening the fasteners on the top. I figured I wanted the Freedom panels to latch snug if I wanted to put them back on. Your way sounds much quicker though.

As for it being a returned item. I agree, that if you're paying a factory new price, you want it to be factory new. Not that the notch affects it or anything. I'm sure Bestop does qc inspections on returns before redistributing, and that somehow got missed.
It's not uncommon for companies to redistribute undamaged/unworn returns. That one just seems to have snuck by qc.
I'd bring it to their attention, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Sponsored