Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I know they don't make this today, but is there any reason that @Bestop couldn't offer a Sunrider where the middle is a clear soft window, like the ones on the side of the factory soft tops?

Would be like a true sunroof. šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
A few issues I see with it:

- It wouldn't likely fold well because of the vinyl material.

- Same said vinyl would be at the same level of durability as the current side ones; a lot of folks consider them a consumable, replace them every few years.

- The material would likely be susceptible to damage under heavy snow or hail.

So I guess it would depend on how it was implemented but I don't see a realistic way to do it. They do make clearlidz for the hardtop that take the space of both freedom panels, I'd like to have something like that for winter time.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

is there any reason that @Bestop couldn't offer a Sunrider where the middle is a clear soft window, like the ones on the side of the factory soft tops?
Itā€™s not a terrible idea, however I donā€™t see it being a marketable one. The point of the Sunrider is to be able to flip it back and get sun anytime and then flip it closed when sun isnā€™t wanted. Having a clear window in the Sunrider defeats its general purpose/use case.

With a clear window in the top, how would you cover it to prevent sun when it isnā€™t wanted?

Also, the issues mentioned above are credible. The soft top windows are easily damaged. I leave my Sunrider on year round and canā€™t imagine a material like that holding up long term as my roof.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Direct hot sun on vinyl. Scratches. Diminished translucency over time. Difficult to get up there to clean. These may be just a few things stopping them. But I like your idea, and a hardtop with a filtered moonroof could be fun.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
One of the concepts had a hard top with a glass sunroof on it. It replaced both the front panels. That's what I really want

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
One of the concepts had a hard top with a glass sunroof on it. It replaced both the front panels. That's what I really want
The clearlidz are pretty close to that, aside from the raised bits for aero/water. Bit pricey but def gonna get it when I get a hardtop.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The clearlidz are pretty close to that, aside from the raised bits for aero/water. Bit pricey but def gonna get it when I get a hardtop.
I concur. They supposedly block most all UV too. Only thing preventing me from purchasing them is that it is a single, giant, double-wide panel, instead of two.

For convenience, I usually take off only the driver-side panel, and toss it in the back seat footwell. Both panels will easily fit in the cargo area of a four-door.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yea. Those are a bit to expensive for me. I did loo into them, bit they seem.. not what I'm looking for

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
So interestingly enough, way back we used to make a translucent bikini. I think the material was called Sunlighter, but at this point I'm not certain. It was pretty unpopular because as others mentioned, it created a pretty hot (greenhouse) cabin. Additionally, some others hit the nail on the head with the PVC glass properties that would make it a suboptimal fabric for top deck use. I like your innovative thinking, though!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com