Bestop Sunrider water problem

Tmcarr61

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I have a 2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Bought a Bestop Sunrider to replace the from freedom tops. Having a problem with water dripping (heavily) when I open the door after a car wash or rain storm. Gets on me and drips down to the floor. Worse on driver side. Took too off and reinstalled. Appears to be correct. Anyone else? Suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a 2020 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Bought a Bestop Sunrider to replace the from freedom tops. Having a problem with water dripping (heavily) when I open the door after a car wash or rain storm. Gets on me and drips down to the floor. Worse on driver side. Took too off and reinstalled. Appears to be correct. Anyone else? Suggestions? Thanks!
@Tmcarr61

And your Freedom Panels did not do pretty much the same thing..... when you open the door in the rain you get water running down/in....

Anyway, it is normal for a JK or JL with Freedom Panels or SR installed to do this..

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would venture to say that issue is not exclusively related to the Bestop! The freedom panels and the Oem soft top also do this. There have been posts that the 21 has new A pillar muckets that divert the water down a channel at the A pillar now .

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
the 2021 does not have a channel to solve this issue. there is some strange channel inside the door pillar but the gutter still dumps all the water right onto your leg and into the jeep...

I would venture to say that issue is not exclusively related to the Bestop! The freedom panels and the Oem soft top also do this. There have been posts that the 21 has new A pillar muckets that divert the water down a channel at the A pillar now .

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sounds like it was built 100% to OEM specifications. 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tmcarr61

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Unlimited
@Tmcarr61

And your Freedom Panels did not do pretty much the same thing..... when you open the door in the rain you get water running down/in....

Anyway, it is normal for a JK or JL with Freedom Panels or SR installed to do this..
No they never did. That’s what got me worried.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Tmcarr61

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Unlimited
@Tmcarr61

You must have a special, one of a kind JL/JLU..... :CWL:
I’m kind of new to the Jeep world. So the freedom panels leaked like that as well on yours? I never noticed mine doing that. Maybe I didn’t pay as much attention to it but do now since installing this top. I’ve only had it for a few months. I appreciate your reply letting me know this isn’t something to worry about.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m kind of new to the Jeep world. So the freedom panels leaked like that as well on yours? I never noticed mine doing that. Maybe I didn’t pay as much attention to it but do now since installing this top. I’ve only had it for a few months. I appreciate your reply letting me know this isn’t something to worry about.
@Tmcarr61

Yes, all JK, JL and JT's do this... There really is no fix for it... the nature of the beast so to speak.

You can cut down on the water movement on your JLU by parking somewhere that is not flat. .... IF, you park on an incline.

Enjoy your Jeep. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BESTOP SUNRIDER FOR JL HARDTOP....

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My SR does the same thing but then so did my freedom panels, the SR seems to be worst than the freedom panels and the only thing I can attribute my issue to is the freedom panels have a channel just like the SR but the SR panel has that edge of material that lays in the SR rain gutter and I think it does not allow the water to drain out and actually directs water off the top into those channels and I’m not sure it’s correctable but I would not take anything for my SR top.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tmcarr61

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Unlimited
My SR does the same thing but then so did my freedom panels, the SR seems to be worst than the freedom panels and the only thing I can attribute my issue to is the freedom panels have a channel just like the SR but the SR panel has that edge of material that lays in the SR rain gutter and I think it does not allow the water to drain out and actually directs water off the top into those channels and I’m not sure it’s correctable but I would not take anything for my SR top.
Thanks so much. I am loving it so definitely will just suck it up. Lol.

OP
OP

Tmcarr61

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport Unlimited
@Tmcarr61

Yes, all JK, JL and JT's do this... There really is no fix for it... the nature of the beast so to speak.

You can cut down on the water movement on your JLU by parking somewhere that is not flat. .... IF, you park on an incline.

Enjoy your Jeep. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BESTOP SUNRIDER FOR JL HARDTOP....
That’s a great idea about parking on an incline. Thank you. I love the top so much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking something.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
the 2021 does not have a channel to solve this issue. there is some strange channel inside the door pillar but the gutter still dumps all the water right onto your leg and into the jeep...
Take a read...https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/water-coming-in-when-doors-are-open-when-it-rains.33043/page-3
Jeepaddict76 wrote..
I traded my 2018 JLUR for 21 JLUR a couple weeks ago and just noticed the 21’s have an extra drip channel to help divert water outside of vehicle.
pics

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Here are the pics of the new muckets! drain rail..

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider water problem 4D305BFD-E41B-4879-B4A4-2059C4A5C3C5

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider water problem BF310FFA-60E8-4FE5-A35A-402172EAB748