Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think for a 100% guaranteed seal you'd have to lose grab handles of any kind....
Not really, depending on the grab handles. Some will work, some will not. I have GPCA Ultimate Grab Handles. All I had to do was fold over the rear part (which wraps around the roll bar) that point towards the back of the Jeep. Basically, the grab handles need to be narrow enough to fit in the space that’s left between the door rail and the roll bar. The Sunrider door rails are different than those for the other type of soft tops from Bestop.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I loosened my grab handle straps completely and once I had the SR rails bolted down I reinstalled the handles in the allotted space, I have not tested for leaks but will the next time I wash it, I’m hoping I don’t have any as chasing water leaks is a huge pain. My freedom panels have never ever leaked since day on so hoping the same for the SR

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If installed properly, the Sunrider should not leak. I had one on my JK for 5 years and one now on my JL, both without leaks. In fact, I leave my Sunrider installed year round. Even under heavy snow, I’ve had zero issues.

If your door rails are seated properly, the z-clips are properly in place, and the top opens and closes without issue, you’re good to go. You can enjoy your Sunrider without ever having to worry about leaks.

Installing grab handles or a sunshade will not interfere with anything with regard to the Sunrider.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@RobAmy, suggestion?

Go spray the living daylights out of the exterior of you Sunrider with Formula 303 for fabric, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-U...ocphy=9004233&hvtargid=pla-468461445318&psc=1

You'll thank me later.
@Gee-pah I took your suggestion and got a 16 oz bottle of 303 fabric and after I installed my SR I pulled it in the garage and soaked my top multiple times and let it dry between coats but this a.m on my way to work it was raining a bit and no leaks as far as I can tell but when I got to work I was able to inspect the top and I was under the impression that water was supposed to bead up and run off but it appeared the material was soaked with no beading of water so what’s up with that if you know.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Gee-pah I took your suggestion and got a 16 oz bottle of 303 fabric and after I installed my SR I pulled it in the garage and soaked my top multiple times and let it dry between coats but this a.m on my way to work it was raining a bit and no leaks as far as I can tell but when I got to work I was able to inspect the top and I was under the impression that water was supposed to bead up and run off but it appeared the material was soaked with no beading of water so what’s up with that if you know.
Hey Will:

303 is a stain protectant, not, to my knowledge a water proofer. :)

What beads up, to use your words, I'm glad to report, is junk that hits the roof with remnants that won't penetrate it with a stain. :)

That top is pretty water proof from Bestop, but if you want to expressly water proof it too, it sounds like you might need to seek another product to do that.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Will:

303 is a stain protectant, not, to my knowledge a water proofer. :)

What beads up, to use your words, I'm glad to report, is junk that hits the roof with remnants that won't penetrate it with a stain. :)

That top is pretty water proof from Bestop, but if you want to expressly water proof it too, it sounds like you might need to seek another product to do that.
@Gee-pah

This is what I used

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review AB93C546-B5C3-4347-B143-0FE2916FEB88

And this is what it’s supposed to do after it’s applied and dried ( see the 3:20 mark )

I did call the 303 people today and they said I likely over applied the product and did not wait the 8-10 hrs between coats and said it was doubtful I did any harm.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are the opposite of yours. My passenger side is a bit lighter when closing than my driver side. I haven't had a need to adjust.

You can adjust the tension if need be. Lower your sun visors. On each side you'll see 2 felt pads stuck to 2 bolts. These bolts are attached to where the Sunrider clamps grab onto. Remove the felt pads (they can be re-used, so don't lose them) and very slowly loosen the 2 bolts just enough to get some movement. A little goes a long way here, so don't go crazy loosening the bolts. Adjust forward or back to increase/decrease tension as needed. Tighten the bolts back up, replace the felt pads and you're good to go.

Again, I didn't actually do this myself. Leave things as is for now. If you have no leaks and the top latches without issue over time, there's no need to do anything. If you feel the top has stretched a a bit and the clamp/s have become loser, then adjust as necessary.

Enjoy your new Sunrider!!!!
@jludave i will likely have to adjust the driver side a small amount, I have been thru some rain and no leaks that I’m aware of but the driver side is really loose like in barely any tension on the clasp.....the clasp that you flip down to open it actually hangs down a small amount so i will take your advice and loosen those two bolts a 1/4 turn at a time until I can get the bracket to move and put it forward towards the hood a small amount until I get at least enough tension to hold the clasp firmly.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I believe 303 Marine is a water proofer.
@jludave i will likely have to adjust the driver side a small amount, I have been thru some rain and no leaks that I’m aware of but the driver side is really loose like in barely any tension on the clasp.....the clasp that you flip down to open it actually hangs down a small amount so i will take your advice and loosen those two bolts a 1/4 turn at a time until I can get the bracket to move and put it forward towards the hood a small amount until I get at least enough tension to hold the clasp firmly.
The top is going to shrink and contract with the changes in temperature. My passenger side clamp is looser than my drive side, but not by much. I haven't adjusted anything in the year I've had mine installed.

Here's my take. If you aren't getting any leaks and the top is closing evenly across the window frame/seal, leave things as is. If you feel the driver side is getting a too loose, then go ahead and adjust - you won't hurt anything by doing so.

@Bestop once mentioned in a thread I posted in, that it may occasionally be necessary to adjust these tops. The same for all of their other soft tops and the OEM tops that they make.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@jludave thanks for the advice I may go ahead and make a small adjustment to the driver side at least to the point its close in tension to the passenger side, once I move my sunshade out of the way to flip the latch it actually drops down a small amount so it’s pretty loose but no leaks that I can tell but we have only had a small amount of rain here.

I’m thinking just a tad more tension so it at least snaps closed with a bit of tension as currently it has almost none and the thing is after it’s been opened for a day or two there is a small amount of tension there but after the seal compresses it literally has almost none and the hook thats on the SR that hooks to the windshield mount actually wiggles.

This is the hook that’s pretty loose when latched

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review FBCC93A5-B962-4CF9-8E4D-3F8228748027

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Repeating what has already been said... I have had my SR on my JLUR for over a year. No leaks at all and love the functionality of it. I did remove my Alien sunshade recently with the great weather as we flip the top open and closed often right now with Texas weather. Sun out at 70'+ = open, rain or a chill starts = closed (when we wish). The sunshade had gaps where I could open it from inside when on the go, but I loved the open sky. Sunshade may go back in when the high heat/sun hit.

The top will change with temp and rain meaning it will look "drooped" a little bit, and in the heat it tightens up. No issues with sound or hot/cold interior, though some think it is noisier/temp change from the Freedom Panels. We have checked it with a sound meter, no real change, also the temp I have not noticed either but that can be subjective.

I have kept it on since installed. Snow, Freeze, Rain, Hail (small), high heat and no issues. Cleaned with the 303 products as suggested.

Sponsored

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Will find out next time I go to the car wash. Thanks for the info.
Took it through the car wash, and nary a drop of water anywhere near the Sunrider. It passed!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I adjusted both latches to give me a bit more tension to compress the front seal just to make sure and drove thru a light rain and today I washed and waxed and while washing I sprayed water on any possible point for water to get thru and not a single drop 👍🏻

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Sunrider even though I have one of the original ones with a busted z clip. Only leaks if I wash it and spray directly in the side. Otherwise doesn't leak at all.

I put the freedom tops on around October and the SR in April. By suggestion of others here I clean it with 303, let it dry, then spray it with the 303 protectant once a year at the begging of the warm season.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Sunrider even though I have one of the original ones with a busted z clip. Only leaks if I wash it and spray directly in the side. Otherwise doesn't leak at all.

I put the freedom tops on around October and the SR in April. By suggestion of others here I clean it with 303, let it dry, then spray it with the 303 protectant once a year at the begging of the warm season.
Guessing no easy way to repair the broken Z clip

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My Sunrider arrived today. Fedex really abused it. The box arrived all taped up (front snd back). It even had a sharpie sticking out!

Everything looked ok but we realized one of the supports is bent when we tried to install it. Ugh.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review 20210421_115822
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review Screenshot_20210421-230350_Gallery
Sponsored