Sponsored

Bestop Sunrider Review

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those doing the install.... You want to follow the printed instructions that come with the Sunrider. They are Revision C (Rev. C)instructions. The Rev. number is printed on the last page of the instructions.

Do not follow older instructions and old videos you find on the internet.

I've attached the Revision C instructions in pdf form, to this post.

Important: There is an error in the Rev C install instructions!
You will NOT as the instr. state, find 2, M8 Hex Nuts, Part #573.10, in the box with the SR. (unless you maybe get an old stock SR)

The SR's now shipping have built into the SR, M8 inserts(2) that the bolts screw into.... so, no longer needed is the M8 Hex nuts.

@Bestop
Sponsored

Attachments

Teleman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Altitude
Great writeup and great comments/hints. I'm going to be buying one of these sometime in the next month. Does anyone happen to know how high the folded Sunrider sits above the hard top when it is open? I'm wondering about clearance to drive in and out of garage without hitting the bottom of the open garage door.

Won't be a big deal if I have to close the top each time I pull into the garage but it would be a nice bonus to be able to leave it open.

OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
For those doing the install.... You want to follow the printed instructions that come with the Sunrider. They are Revision C (Rev. C)instructions. The Rev. number is printed on the last page of the instructions.

Do not follow older instructions and old videos you find on the internet.

I've attached the Revision C instructions in pdf form, to this post.

Important: There is an error in the Rev C install instructions!
You will NOT as the instr. state, find 2, M8 Hex Nuts, Part #573.10, in the box with the SR. (unless you maybe get an old stock SR)

The SR's now shipping have built into the SR, M8 inserts(2) that the bolts screw into.... so, no longer needed is the M8 Hex nuts.

@Bestop
Good point but fairly easy to see the built in threads in the rails too for those non manual readers ;)

OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great writeup and great comments/hints. I'm going to be buying one of these sometime in the next month. Does anyone happen to know how high the folded Sunrider sits above the hard top when it is open? I'm wondering about clearance to drive in and out of garage without hitting the bottom of the open garage door.

Won't be a big deal if I have to close the top each time I pull into the garage but it would be a nice bonus to be able to leave it open.
I did not measure it but I would say 6 to 8 inches above the hardtop. May not fit into the garage opened.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Tip for you Sunrider users. If you have the top open and windows up, crack the rear windows on the 4dr Jeeps about an inch or so and it drastically reduces wind turbulence in the front seats and makes the Jeep way quieter going down the road with the Sunrider open.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point but fairly easy to see the built in threads in the rails too for those non manual readers ;)
@RobAmy

When I post, I post info that may be helpful to a Novice... I reduce the info down to the basics lets say.. With that said......

Some people are smart enough.. savvy.. wise .. seasoned... enough, to look over the instructions... research in regard to pending install before they do the assembly/install.

This way you know what should be in the box, tools needed and adjustments (like I mentioned earlier, in regard to adjustments for the latches) that can be made.

I for one, when I open a shipment, the first thing I do is check the parts list / Instructions to see what I need hardware wise and were all the parts that I was suppose to have actually in the box. I do this BEFORE, I start/do the install.

This last Sunrider, I received I checked included parts per parts list and noted right away that 2, M8 nuts were missing. Said shit, I have to get a couple of nuts before I can do this install.. Thought maybe they had started to send out SR with inserts and looked and yes, they did.

I mentioned the no M8 nuts needed in my earlier post as there are guys/gals that don't have a clue what a threaded nut insert is... they would be in a lurch, thinking they did not have the nuts that the instructions said were included...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@Teleman
@RobAmy

I measured it awhile back... the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop JL/JT, when open, is 7.0" higher then the hardtop itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RobAmy

When I post, I post info that may be helpful to a Novice... I reduce the info down to the basics lets say.. With that said......

Some people are smart enough.. savvy.. wise .. seasoned... enough, to look over the instructions... research in regard to pending install before they do the assembly/install.

This way you know what should be in the box, tools needed and adjustments (like I mentioned earlier, in regard to adjustments for the latches) that can be made.

I for one, when I open a shipment, the first thing I do is check the parts list / Instructions to see what I need hardware wise and were all the parts that I was suppose to have actually in the box. I do this BEFORE, I start/do the install.

This last Sunrider, I received I checked included parts per parts list and noted right away that 2, M8 nuts were missing. Said shit, I have to get a couple of nuts before I can do this install.. Thought maybe they had started to send out SR with inserts and looked and yes, they did.

I mentioned the no M8 nuts needed in my earlier post as there are guys/gals that don't have a clue what a threaded nut insert is... they would be in a lurch, thinking they did not have the nuts that the instructions said were included...
Hope you did not take my post wrong. I have no problem with the info you are giving. I love this forum for the knowledge. Post away my friend.

OP
OP
RobAmy

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Teleman
@RobAmy

I measured it awhile back... the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop JL/JT, when open, is 4.5" higher then the hardtop itself.
@Teleman I just measured mine and it is 7 1/4 inches may even be 7 1/2 as I could not hold the tape tight and take the pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review 55229F67-2B17-4BA3-87F9-5322CE1EF28D
Not sure if they settle down or not.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just measured mine and it is 7 1/4 inches may even be 7 1/2 as I could not hold the tape tight and take the pic.
55229F67-2B17-4BA3-87F9-5322CE1EF28D.jpeg
Not sure if they settle down or not.
@RobAmy
@Teleman

Just went and measured. Yes, it is 7 1/4" at the ends. If you measure in the center of the SR, it is 4.5"

SO, for going in and out of the garage, etc.. you need an additional clearance, of at least 7 1/4"

Note: I edited my earlier post.

Sponsored

Teleman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Altitude
@RobAmy
@Teleman

Just went and measured. Yes, it is 7 1/4" at the ends. If you measure in the center of the SR, it is 4.5"

SO, for going in and out of the garage, etc.. you need an additional clearance, of at least 7 1/4"

Note: I edited my earlier post.
Really appreciate the responses guys. Thanks.

I have a friend who forgot his expensive mountain bike was on his roof rack and he drove into his garage. Literally. Well the bike did, that is. Destroyed the bike, damaged the siding above the garage door, dented the roof of his car.

I don’t intend to do that with my Sunrider ;)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove Before Flight

I have a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon lying in the little change holder under the JL's Ebrake handle. Little magnet placed there, holds the flag in place til I need it.

When I have my Bestop Sunrider closed but not latched, I place that Remove Before Flight, ribbon on my magnetic cellphone mount to remind me to either secure or flip open my Sunrider before driving..

Often when in Florida, when I leave the JL unattended in a parking lot, I flip closed the SR but do not secure it / fasten it down with the latches.

I just flip it closed in case it rains and or to block the sun.

IF when I come back to the vehicle and forget to flip the SR open, it will fly open at speeds above say 30 mph. Did this x 2.

This wakes you right up 8-) and for sure is not good for the SR.

SO, the Remove Before Flight is a visual reminder and YES, it does work to remind me.
I also, place the flag when I have the battery maintainer/tender hooked up. 8-)

Notice the ribbon is color coordinated with the JL's interior.. 8-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035CXLLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Sunrider Review oooo

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for all the real- world comments and pix. I would like to see the underside in a light gray, off white, so the cabin isn't so dark. Would a spray paint meant for vinyl or cloth work, if I get one I'll try this. I like everything except the price.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the real- world comments and pix. I would like to see the underside in a light gray, off white, so the cabin isn't so dark. Would a spray paint meant for vinyl or cloth work, if I get one I'll try this. I like everything except the price.
@four low

A guy/gal that installs a Sunrider will soon after installing be wanting to install a sunshade. The installed sunshade gives you more dark. The sunshade stays in place year round.. Does not impact use of Sunrider or Freedom panels..

Hint: For those with a Bestop Sunrider and a sunshade......... When you go on a long trip that has you doing many many miles, at speeds in excess of 65 mph, the cabin can be a tad more noisy at those speeds... you can lessen immensely, the in cabin noise, by placing a light weight, black Harbor Freight, shipping pad in between the closed Sunrider and the sunshade. This shipping pad will sound insulate very effectively...

Also...... between the closed Sunrider and the sunshade is a good place to store jackets, etc..
Sponsored