First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
I installed a Bestop Sunrider on my 2018 Wrangler JLU earlier this year (late Spring) and have really enjoyed having it. With winter approaching in NE Wisconsin I was contemplating putting my freedom panels back on.

How do these tops hold up in the snow, ice and frigid winter conditions? Do others go back to the freedom panels in the winter?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.....
Leaving mine on, winter in Northwest Colorado can get as cold as -30F and I don't anticipate any issues. It's garaged at night, but we are planning on making it our daily driver. So far we have not had much super cold weather, but as stated by others, the heater in this Jeep is second to none.
if and when we get our typical cold snap mid January to early February I will be able to give a more accurate assessment of winter performance . I'm sure others will be able to weigh in by then also.
Sponsored

Simsy71

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I would think the swap takes less than 30 mins? Unless I could see myself opening the top on nice days in the winter I would personally swap it out for the coldest months if for no other reason than reduce wear and tear. Wear and tear would not be visible day to day but I imagine over a few years you'd be able to clearly see the difference. BTW I have a Sunrider as of about a month ago and after initially being a skeptic I'm now a believer that it's one of the best accessories, albeit an expensive one. Enjoy those Jeeps my friends!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I have both, and I need to totally disagree with that statement lol

I'm a huge fan of the soft top and would run it year-round if it were just me, but my wife and daughter insist on hard top in the winter lol the hard top noticeably holds heat better, no question.
I concur, I ran my Bestop through the winter last year, it held up fine, but it definitely makes it colder inside and the steel metal piece that runs across the front of it gives off a cold chill especially in 25 and below temps (its harder to adjust the auto climate control because the upper part of the cabin the head area is much colder then below your shoulder), I plan on putting my panels on after Xmas, I'm in Maryland...

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I concur, I ran my Bestop through the winter last year, it held up fine, but it definitely makes it colder inside and the steel metal piece that runs across the front of it gives off a cold chill especially in 25 and below temps (its harder to adjust the auto climate control because the upper part of the cabin the head area is much colder then below your shoulder), I plan on putting my panels on after Xmas, I'm in Maryland...

I should clarify that during the week I do not wear a coat or hat (unfortunately I wear a suit and tie at work) so I get in my jeep with a dress shirt and tie on even when the temps are in the teens but my jeep is in my garage and I park in the garage under my building (so no need to have a winter coat and hat). On the weekends I have a coat and hat and the chill inside is not an issue.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
For those of you who run them all winter long, may I ask if you park outside, carport or garage, and also what is the lowest temperatures you get (and for how long)? I have to ask because my winters consist of several months of extreme cold (a few weeks a couple times a year at -30 is not uncommon) and I have a carport (everything still ices up).
Sponsored