Bestop Sunrider JL in winter...?

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I installed a Bestop Sunrider on my 2018 Wrangler JLU earlier this year (late Spring) and have really enjoyed having it. With winter approaching in NE Wisconsin I was contemplating putting my freedom panels back on.

How do these tops hold up in the snow, ice and frigid winter conditions? Do others go back to the freedom panels in the winter?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.....
Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
We get 4-5 months of snow with a few weeks here and there if -30C, and 1-2 months of sub-zero (C) degree weather. I’m super nervous about those cold northern Canada winters... (so I’m following. Haha)

July-Sept will run the soft top. If there was a way to load my kayak without having to install a cage, I’d run it from April.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think you'll be fine with the Sunrider. Most of us leave entire soft tops on for winters even in the northeast/upper Midwest and we're fine.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Jeeps also have a heater that’s second only to the sun when it comes to heat output. Staying warm will not be an issue.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The soft top actually keeps heat better than the hard top - so I have seen.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The soft top actually keeps heat better than the hard top - so I have seen.
I have both, and I need to totally disagree with that statement lol

I'm a huge fan of the soft top and would run it year-round if it were just me, but my wife and daughter insist on hard top in the winter lol the hard top noticeably holds heat better, no question.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Jeeps also have a heater that’s second only to the sun when it comes to heat output. Staying warm will not be an issue.
:CWL: definitely true! As the saying goes, "It's a Jeep thing!" Our Jeeps have always had amazing heat, even the '03 Liberty. We've had a few mornings already with temps in the low 20s, and my JL is toasty warm in probably less than ten minutes. I have a 2-door with the base soft top.

I'm a huge fan of the soft top and would run it year-round if it were just me, but my wife and daughter insist on hard top in the winter lol the hard top noticeably holds heat better, no question.
I think the hard top does retain some warmth overnight a little better since it's more sealed from the elements - the soft-top side windows have the channel to keep the windows in, but there's definitely room to sneak your hand up inside there, and same with the seal over the doors. Any place that's that exposed can let cold air in overnight obviously. It's not an issue with driving though, as it does warm up quickly inside.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one on my JL, but did install a Sunrider on my daughters JK. I took it off for the winter because up here in NY the road salt gets on everything and there was really no need to keep it on over the winter and make a mess of it. It only takes a few minutes to swap it off so it can be stored safely inside.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
One thing to consider if you have dual tops, if you switch back and forth for the winter/summer, each one should last longer and be in better shape. especially if you plan on keeping your Jeep long term.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I'm in MN and am keeping my Sunrider on my JK for the winter. It also doesn't leak like the freedom panels. On my JL, though, I have a full soft top with the plastic windows and took that off for the winter and replaced it with the hard top so I wouldn't crack the soft windows.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I don't have one on my JL, but did install a Sunrider on my daughters JK. I took it off for the winter because up here in NY the road salt gets on everything and there was really no need to keep it on over the winter and make a mess of it. It only takes a few minutes to swap it off so it can be stored safely inside.
I took mine off too. Here in CT the crap they put on the roads destroys everything. So rather than have it kill the Sunrider too I swapped it out to help it last longer.
Sponsored