Sponsored

Bestop sunrider for hardtop JLU feedback?

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
Anyone install a bestop sunrider for hardtop on jlu and how did it work out Does it leak water? Is it noisy?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Lincoln

Why would you think the install of a Bestop Sunrider for JL would be any different installed on a 4 dr. JLU versus a 2 dr. JL ? There would be absolutely no difference.

With that said, there are multiple forum threads regarding the SR. Read those and you will hear the good and bad in regard to the SR. Mostly you will hear good but yes, the SR is a tad noisy when it is closed...at speeds of say 65 mph+.

One forum member did report water leaking in at the rear of the SR when he had the JL parked on a steep incline and ran hose water on the SR. Bestop sent him out soft foam rubber stick-ons, that apparently did the deed.... stopped the leaking.

As for my SR. It's installed properly, and any and all possible adjustments to it have been made.. No leaks, Yes, is noisy at speeds over 65 mph when it is closed. The Twill material on my SR could be a tad tighter toward the passenger side rear... has a little wrinkling there but not much. Has been subjected to snow a bit and no problems then...

Anyway, I have over 5,000 miles on my JL with the SR installed. Terrific addition to my JL. It will stay installed til I part with the JL.

Note: I would not install a vinyl SR, if Bestop gave it to me free. IF the twill fabric is noisy, I can't imagine how much more noisy the vinyl would be.

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
@Lincoln

Why would you think the install of a Bestop Sunrider for JL would be any different installed on a 4 dr. JLU versus a 2 dr. JL ? There would be absolutely no difference.

With that said, there are multiple forum threads regarding the SR. Read those and you will hear the good and bad in regard to the SR. Mostly you will hear good but yes, the SR is a tad noisy when it is closed...at speeds of say 65 mph+.

One forum member did report water leaking in at the rear of the SR when he had the JL parked on a steep incline and ran hose water on the SR. Bestop sent him out soft foam rubber stick-ons, that apparently did the deed.... stopped the leaking.

As for my SR. It's installed properly, and any and all possible adjustments to it have been made.. No leaks, Yes, is noisy at speeds over 65 mph when it is closed. The Twill material on my SR could be a tad tighter toward the passenger side rear... has a little wrinkling there but not much. Has been subjected to snow a bit and no problems then...

Anyway, I have over 5,000 miles on my JL with the SR installed. Terrific addition to my JL. It will stay installed til I part with the JL.

Note: I would not install a vinyl SR, if Bestop gave it to me free. IF the twill fabric is noisy, I can't imagine how much more noisy the vinyl would be.

Thanks for your reply I know the jl & jlu take the same top I will definitely be going with the twill top on my JLU I only want to use the sunrider from April till November and then I will use my freedom top for the winter because we get a pretty solid winter here in the northeast Thanks again

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lincoln

My guess is you in Mass, will install and leave it on year round.

One of my digs is in Upstate NY and my Bestop Sunrider's for JK and now JL, have absolutely, no problem handling the Winter weather.

Winter comfort level with the SR installed is not much unlike when the Freedom panels are installed. The SR is no different then a convertible top and obviously the SR has no plastic window.

Anyway, you'd be aok year round in Mass. Also, do know the SR can be uninstalled in less then 10 min. A previously installed SR can be reinstalled in 10 min.

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lincoln

My guess is you in Mass, will install and leave it on year round.

One of my digs is in Upstate NY and my Bestop Sunrider's for JK and now JL, have absolutely, no problem handling the Winter weather. Winter comfort level with the SR installed is not unlike when the Freedom panels are installed. It is no different then a convertible top and obviously the SR has no plastic window.

Anyway, you'd be aok year round in Mass. Also, do know the SR can be uninstalled in less then 10 min. A previously installed SR can be reinstalled in 10 min.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again for your reply It’s makes it easy to make a decision on whether to get a sunrider I don’t have a problem with spending the money on one if it works well because they get $700-$800 dollars for a sunrider depending on where you buy it I had the dual top on my JK and it was a pain in the ass to change from top to top so I just went with the hardtop on my jlu

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lincoln

My Bright White with the SR.... I see you also have a Bight White..

20181230_113553.jpg
Nice looking Rubi I love the white with the black top Really don’t care for the body color tops To much white Looks like you have much nicer weather where you are Pretty cold and windy here in Massachusetts today

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lincoln

I'm in Upstate NY right now..

DO read other threads in regard to the Bestop Sunrider. Read the opinions of other's that have one.

I get in lets say salesmen mode when I like a product and ... Anyway, even when I get into salesmen mode I still make a point of it to be honest and forthcoming if there are issues with the product I am spewing about. Still though, do your homework before you buy.

In regard to the Bestop Sunrider for JL... it's a joy in the Sunny Weather is an understatement.

dblack222

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I’m still in the honeymoon phase with mine but as of now I would say it’s the best mod I’ve ever done to a vehicle.

Weather is crazy around here at the moment. Thursday I was riding with SR open and windows down at 75*. Yesterday it was raining with a high of 38* so the SR was closed and heat on. No leaks, no real perceptible difference with inside temps. Wind noise is a bit more than with the freedom panels, but just barely enough to mention.

This should really be a factory option.

**Edit**

If I had to state a complaint it would be the sides on mine are a bit wrinkly compared to some others I’ve seen pictures of. It’s not that bad and it hasn’t been outside in super hot weather yet so maybe it will get better with time. That is really nitpicking though just trying to find a complaint.

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lincoln

I'm in Upstate NY right now..

DO read other threads in regard to the Bestop Sunrider. Read the opinions of other's that have one.

I get in lets say salesmen mode when I like a product and ... Anyway, even when I get into salesmen mode I still make a point of it to be honest and forthcoming if there are issues with the product I am spewing about. Still though, do your homework before you buy.

In regard to the Bestop Sunrider for JL... it's a joy in the Sunny Weather is an understatement.
I have read a lot of the posts about the sunrider and I think with a good installation I won’t have any problems I am a perfectionist when it comes to doing anything It’s either in your dna or it isn’t Kind of bear with me on the reply’s cause I am new to the forum and not to tech savvy I’ll get better I really appreciate another Jeep owners input on the sunrider I’ll definitely be ordering one and installing it when the good weather gets here Check out NHOU oil undercoating if you have to drive on salted roads I have put this on all my vehicles for the past ten years and have never had a speck of rust The stuff is great

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m still in the honeymoon phase with mine but as of now I would say it’s the best mod I’ve ever done to a vehicle.

Weather is crazy around here at the moment. Thursday I was riding with SR open and windows down at 75*. Yesterday it was raining with a high of 38* so the SR was closed and heat on. No leaks, no real perceptible difference with inside temps. Wind noise is a bit more than with the freedom panels, but just barely enough to mention.

This should really be a factory option.

**Edit**

If I had to state a complaint it would be the sides on mine are a bit wrinkly compared to some others I’ve seen pictures of. It’s not that bad and it hasn’t been outside in super hot weather yet so maybe it will get better with time. That is really nitpicking though just trying to find a complaint.
We are having the same weather as you here in Massachusetts If you are on salted roads definitely check out the NHOU I can’t say enough good things about this stuff My Jeep is still very new to me Just traded my JKU for the JLU and love it Only have about 850 miles on it

dblack222

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
No road salt here in North Alabama haha. That’s one thing I’m glad I don’t have to deal with.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The top itself is great. Instructions for initial installation could be better, but can be figured out quickly. The only problem I have with it, isn’t with the top at all. A cat has decided that when it’s closed, it makes a comfortable place to sunbathe. Shedding sticks to the twill like it’s glued!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The top itself is great. Instructions for initial installation could be better, but can be figured out quickly. The only problem I have with it, isn’t with the top at all. A cat has decided that when it’s closed, it makes a comfortable place to sunbathe. Shedding sticks to the twill like it’s glued!
A few years ago, I had a soft top Wrangler for a while. Friggin feral cats /cats wanted to use the convertible top, as a sun bathing platform.

I found a product that within a day or two made them totally stop the sun bathing on my Wrangler. I bought a smaller one of these for about $20+.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Cat-Repell...49725402&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=scat+mat&psc=1

OP
OP
Lincoln

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I shouldn’t have a problem No cats here but I have four German Shepherds That would be a big problem if they get on the sunrider

916FC89A-4B2A-44F6-A386-3792360B60D8.jpeg
Sponsored