Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A couple weeks ago, I removed the hardtop and installed my new 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Bestop Trektop NX Soft Top (Black Twill) - 56862-17 (here's a link: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bestop-trektop-nx-soft-top-black-twill-56862-17/_/R-BDKW-56862-17

The install was a bit tedious and more involved than the NX I had installed on my '04 TJ some years ago. However, after living with the top for a couple weeks, it was definitely worth the trouble. The Sunrider feature on the JL version of the NX is far, far superior than it was for the TJ version, because it has a hinge in the middle. The TJ version folded back as one big unit, while the JL version accordions- which means I can open or close it in the garage with the garage door open, AND I can reach up and close it while driving without even unbuckling. Likewise, the twill material (which I went back and forth on) was definitely worth the premium. This top is quiet and looks super black.

However, into each life a little rain must fall, and- after driving for the first time in rain- I have encountered a problem. As you can see in the pictures, the tinted vinyl windows on the back and side immediately became streaked (and these white lines are not coming off- they are etched right into the vinyl in the form of whitish, fuzzy areas... the yellow lines are just reflections from some yellow strings that hold up a cushion that goes between my Jeep and Mustang to avoid door dings).
tumblr_prevpd5XL91tkp167o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_prevpd5XL91tkp167o3_1280.jpg

I haven't even washed the Jeep since installing the top (having washed it immediately prior), so I've put nothing on the windows. After looking at the windows for a while, it became apparent where the problem came from. Apparently, they must have put some sort of chemical on the twill (guessing it is a waterproofing or some sort of UV protectant), because it is obvious the streaks on the windows have appeared wherever water has dripped from the ledge formed by the top fabric.

The distributor I purchased the top from is contacting Bestop tomorrow to inquire about getting replacement windows (and I purchased the warranty, so I'm fairly confident I will get this resolved). So, I decided to see if I could remove the stains (since they will drive my OCD-self absolutely nuts- plus, I just wanted to see if I could reduce their appearance). I tried vinegar (no effect) a small amount of Goof-Off (no effect), some carnauba wax (very little effect), and finally- some of the cream from a Turtlewax headlight restoration kit (somewhat effective, but left fine scratch lines all over my new windows). I found that waxing the windows after scrubbing with the headlight restorer toned down the scratches somewhat, but then I tried applying some TopCoat F11, and viola!
tumblr_prevpd5XL91tkp167o1_1280.jpg

You can still see where the streaks were at the very top edge of the window, but- for the most part- they are gone from the window itself. I can still see them distinctly enough that I really would like to have replacements (they're only two weeks old, they shouldn't have haze on them). Still- if for some reason Bestop doesn't replace them- I can "live with" them as is and will probably just purchase another set of windows (but then would probably not purchase another Bestop, but only if they don't resolve the issue).

Having somewhat "cured" the issue, I decided to give the Jeep a bath with dish detergent. When I sprayed down the top of the soft-top, it quickly became apparent there WAS some sort of chemical in the twill- because for the first 15 seconds or so the water completely beaded up. Then a whitish foam formed on the droplets of water, and- once that was sprayed away- the water started to lay on the top. I would be willing to bet whatever that chemical was causes a reaction with the vinyl that leaves the etched-in streaks.

Didn't post this to complain (because I'm fairly confident Bestop will make it right), but I wanted to suggest to others that- once you get your Bestop installed- you give it a good initial washing to remove any chemicals that might be in the material. Also, I will probably be treating my windows with the TopCoat F11 every time I wash the Jeep (I use this surfactant on a number of other vehicles and surfaces, and it does a great job of sealing and protecting surfaces- plus it leaves a very nice lasting shine).

I really do love my Bestop Trektop NX, and will probably never reinstall the hardtop (if I feel the same way once winter arrives, I'll probably just sell it). It's a great top, very quiet, and as mentioned the Sunrider feature is the bomb. I don't recall seeing a recommendation to immediately wash the top after installation- it might be something Bestop could add to the instructions.
tumblr_pqqgycPYoF1tkp167o1_1280.jpg
Sponsored

Ammo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Varilux, any update from Bestop. I am looking to buy the same top and am curious what Bestop had to say.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
Getting ready to install ours this weekend .
Any insider info or issues we should know about ?

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
One question I have about the NX - how difficult is it to go topless with it on? I've seen plenty of sunrider pics, but does the main top fold back into the trunk like a factory soft top?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
One question I have about the NX - how difficult is it to go topless with it on? I've seen plenty of sunrider pics, but does the main top fold back into the trunk like a factory soft top?
No, nothing folds into the trunk.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Varilux, any update from Bestop. I am looking to buy the same top and am curious what Bestop had to say.
Bestop has been really good to deal with (working through the distributor from whom I purchased the top). They are still currently catching up with the orders on the NX for the JL, so they don't have "spare parts" available yet (everything they produce is going into full sets to fill those orders). However, I have been assured I will get replacement windows eventually.

As I mentioned on the first post, I was able to scrub most of the white spots down Turtlewax Headlight Restorer (just the polishing cream- don't use the included sanding blocks), and then fill in the resulting scratches with F-11 polish. I then washed the fabric on the top down really well with dish detergent. This seems to have removed whatever chemical was causing the spotting from the top, because it has rained since and the white spots have not reappeared.

As for the function of the top, I love it. As previously noted, you can't easily go truly topless, but- at least on the two-door JL- once you open the Sunrider feature, there is no top over the front seats (personally, I want the back of the Jeep to remain covered to reduce sun damage). This is the best soft top I've ever had, hands down.

Hope this helps,
Pete (aka "Varilux")

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
Do it outside in the sun as if the tops cold it's tough to get it on properly.
Thanks, we are waiting until Sunday . Going to be our first day of sun and 70.
Sponsored