Bestop Mesh Safari (bikini) Top

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
So.. I was on the hunt for a mesh bikini top. Seems everyone is making them for the hard tops, but few options for the softop. Had ordered the Rugged Ridge Full Eclipse, but I found it was almost impossible to close the soft top with the eclipse in place. I came across the Bestop Safari bikini (also available in a targa style for two door JLs.) I had the version of this top on my JKU so I jumped on it. The installation is a little more involved than the JKU version - remove torx screws and replace with snap screws - but overall fairly simple. Because the JL windshield doesn't have footman straps the connection to the windshield is handled by strong magnets. Which means you have to get the top situated and aligned just right. It took me a few tries, but I got it right in the end.

The portion with the magnets folds back on itself to allow VERY easy access to the top latches. I'll post photos soon, but I really like it. Seems a lot more durable and better made than Rugged Ridge's.

Just wanted to let everyone know there is a great option for mesh bikini tops for those with soft tops.
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to see pics was just looking at there website, figure since they make the softtop for Jeep it would be a good and compatible product

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Maybe a silly question, but it's honest and I am not trolling...why do you need a bikini top for a soft top? When the sun is hot, I just flip the top up and run in safari mode. What does the bikini top get you that safari mode doesn't?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The mesh still lets in quite a bit of light and some air, but it blocks the sunburning UV rays, and breaks the wind a little , so you feel a light breeze.. my JK is a hardtop but i have the top off all summer since i am in Cali and it never rains.. and I love the top. So when my JL gets delivered i am going with a softtop so i can lower the top more often and more easily and never worry about weather.. and enjoy the mesh top still

OP
OP
TPFilm1994

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Maybe a silly question, but it's honest and I am not trolling...why do you need a bikini top for a soft top? When the sun is hot, I just flip the top up and run in safari mode. What does the bikini top get you that safari mode doesn't?
Because I go topless as much as possible. The mesh gives some sun protection but still allows for the open air. Added bonus: the mesh bikini keeps leaves out of the front. It's a comfort thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TPFilm1994

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
An update on my experience with the top:

The top has magnets at the the front corners and in the center. The magnets in the front of the top (this is Bestop's answer to the JL not having a footman loop on the windshield to tie off too) are strong, but the magnets in the center land on the windshield at an awkward spot and do not sit flat (the windshield frame isn't 100% flat in the center, either.) The center lifts at speeds over 40mph. Because there are side straps almost at the corners and the magnets on the corners, it was never in any danger of flying off, just annoying to have the center flap in the wind and hearing the magnets tapping the metal as the center flapped. I remembered the Rugged Ridge Full Eclipse top - that I had for all of 5 minutes - had velcro in the center. So, I bought some heavy-duty velcro at Lowe's and attached it to the top and the windshield frame. The Velcro combined with the magnets have worked beautifully, keeping the front of the top in place.

NOTE: I keep the side and rear straps tight, I can't stand to have a bikini top sagging.

The Bestop is, in my opinion, the best option for a bikini top for soft top owners. You can lower and raise the soft top and do not have to remove the bikini top - just simply fold the front 2-3" of top over, lower the top and secure the latches. Done. Headroom is reduced, but not drastically. The bikini sits on the top of the roll bars and the side and rear straps are unobtrusive.

It definitely reduces the sun exposure in the cabin.

Installation Note: the included instructions are a little vague on the mounting points for the side straps (you remove some trim screws and instal some screws that accept snap heads in their place) so it might take a little trail and error.

Otherwise: buy the Bestop bikini, install it, and forget about it!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you can’t leave it fully installed you have to flip it back?

OP
OP
TPFilm1994

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Yes you leave it on under the soft top. You just fold back the first three inches or so - it is actually designed that way - to access the soft top latches.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ya i just got mine in the mail, but still waiting for my jeep
Sponsored