DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet mother of god.. That's a nice soft top.
Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I ended up getting the OEM Premium soft top for my 2 door. I love it. Compared to my YJ soft top its awesome.

JoeW

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I’m looking really hard at the Ultra or the Supertop. My biggest concern is driving with it fully down on the highways. It looks like it could be a parachute and catch a lot of wind. What is everyone’s experience? Haven’t seen any videos of it on the highway.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking really hard at the Ultra or the Supertop. My biggest concern is driving with it fully down on the highways. It looks like it could be a parachute and catch a lot of wind. What is everyone’s experience? Haven’t seen any videos of it on the highway.
If it has the locks like the OEM, it won't have a chance. However, it won't, anyway, because wind behavior is a funny thing. It is out of the slip stream. Even when folded back on top in the sunrider position, it doesn't do it because air coming off the windshield bows up and over the top. It does not run exactly straight across the top. It will slightly bow over it, including the top in the sunrider position.

Also, much of the air flows backward from the rear of the Jeep. The windshield creates a vacuum behind it. So air at the back of the Jeep becomes disturbed with some of it actually blowing forward. Ever notice with the top down on a dusty road that the dust comes right up to the front of the Jeep, covering the dash and you and everything else? The air around that folded soft top is really going all different directions, including forward, so it will ruffle a bit in the wind, but it won't come up like a parachute. I've had 3 Jeeps with soft tops over almost 30 years with many, many top down highway drives up to 80mph. (Yes, even my old 4 cyl YJ could cruise at 80. The gulp gas, but they can do it.)

JoeW

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
If it has the locks like the OEM, it won't have a chance. However, it won't, anyway, because wind behavior is a funny thing. It is out of the slip stream. Even when folded back on top in the sunrider position, it doesn't do it because air coming off the windshield bows up and over the top. It does not run exactly straight across the top. It will slightly bow over it, including the top in the sunrider position.

Also, much of the air flows backward from the rear of the Jeep. The windshield creates a vacuum behind it. So air at the back of the Jeep becomes disturbed with some of it actually blowing forward. Ever notice with the top down on a dusty road that the dust comes right up to the front of the Jeep, covering the dash and you and everything else? The air around that folded soft top is really going all different directions, including forward, so it will ruffle a bit in the wind, but it won't come up like a parachute. I've had 3 Jeeps with soft tops over almost 30 years with many, many top down highway drives up to 80mph. (Yes, even my old 4 cyl YJ could cruise at 80. The gulp gas, but they can do it.)
Dan,
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Your response was one of the most thorough responses on a post I’ve read. Appreciate your time and it helped me to make a decision!
Sponsored