First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Jeep traditionalist here! 2 door. Wife and I traveled from Nebraska to KC then across Kansas to Dillon CO then down to Durango then back to Silverton with off-roading along the way and then back to Nebraska. Loved traveling in the 2020 JL Rubicon. Very comfy!✌
Sponsored

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JK
Occupation
Writer, editor, nature lover
IMO, any Wrangler with a hardtop and all-terrain tires will suit your needs.
I'm researching this and seeing that "best" years are said to be 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020 - and certain models in each of those years - and these have shown up across several articles. If basically any 4-door Wrangler with a hard top and all terrain tires in those years will do well, then that's what I'll focus on. I really don't think I can afford anything newer than 2018, though I'll keep all options open.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm researching this and seeing that "best" years are said to be 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020 - and certain models in each of those years - and these have shown up across several articles. If basically any 4-door Wrangler with a hard top and all terrain tires in those years will do well, then that's what I'll focus on. I really don't think I can afford anything newer than 2018, though I'll keep all options open.
In that case I’d focus on 2013 through 2018.

2007 through 2011 were total dogs: they had the minivan 3.8 V6 and ancient 4-speed automatic. The new 3.6 V6 appeared on the 2012 model year, buy there was an original run that had engine head problems.

2012 - 2018 JK Sahara 4-doors rode VERY nice. I owned 2 of them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Wrangler for Long Road Trips 1630191711465

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
For a road trip? And you insist on a Jeep?

From a long-time Jeep Wrangler owner...unless you are a masochist, get a Grand Cherokee and forget about the Wrangler. Wranglers feel at home on dirt trails. Grand Cherokees feel at home on pavement. You'll have your choice of 3 different V-8 engines that will just loaf along at whatever speed you choose, over any mountain pass, with no strain. A quiet and relaxing experience compared to the noise and drama of driving a Wrangler at speed.

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
with used car prices being so high at the moment, it can be one of those times where buying A new current model may work better for you.

in deciding what you can afford, you may have seen there are dealers on here that you can order from and they will do 4-6% under the invoice price (which is less than the MSRP). I may be telling you something you already know, just wanted to throw it out there.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-225

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I love my Jeep, but it would not be high on my list of comfortable cars for a long road trip. Just about anything else would be superior … better steering, less bumpy and likely better gas mileage. If you were to venture down the Wrangler path, a 4 door is somewhat better in terms of stability and comfort and has more room to carry stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, the JL is much better than previous generations on the highway and I have done 4 hours without too much issue … but, my wife’s CX-5 is much more comfortable.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Gonna throw this out there. 1000 mile one way trips with gear. A Gladiator with some sort of bed cover.

Last edited:

Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Grand Cherokee is not a Wrangler... just saying :)
We all know that. Just wanted to save the OP some pain...had a very good friend who fell in love with the Wrangler image so she bought a beautiful Sahara Unlimited. Kept it about a year before she couldn't stand it any longer and traded it off for something more road trip friendly (she never went off-highway).

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you're doing a ton of highway driving I'm not sure what the point of using all terrains over all seasons is. They'll be noisier and wear out faster, no? I guess if you're planning to off-road with it sometimes anyway, it makes sense.

Good luck on your purchase, and I wish you many years of happiness!

Deleted member 59498

We all know that. Just wanted to save the OP some pain...had a very good friend who fell in love with the Wrangler image so she bought a beautiful Sahara Unlimited. Kept it about a year before she couldn't stand it any longer and traded it off for something more road trip friendly (she never went off-highway).
She has a CJ5, is like going to luxuary car with a JL. I travel just fine in my JLUR comfortable enough for me. Mine drives as well as anything else I ever owned.
Sponsored