First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JK
Occupation
Writer, editor, nature lover
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and thinking about getting another Jeep. I currently have a 1980 CJ5 which I'll be selling so I can get something more road-worthy, as in long road trips. I have no idea where to start, but I do love the looks of the Wrangler, so am thinking this is a good place to ask: which might be best for long trips (1000 miles back and forth), not as much noise on the interstate, more comfort, and a reasonable price. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, but reliability is necessary. I will make sure it has regular maintenance. Also, which year (nothing new)? The longer wheel base of the 4 doors may be a better fit too. I won't use it off-road that much, and when I do it'll be for light off-roading, nothing heavy. Then why a Jeep? Because I do love Jeeps & because I want one. To me, that's enough of a reason. Why have something you don't love?
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The newer Jeepā€™s are pretty plush if youā€™re coming from a CJ. Even the soft tops offer an acceptable road trip experience. If you arenā€™t doing any crazy off roading youā€™ll do fine with just about any Jeep that has the features you want. My wife and I have been road tripping a few times a year out to Utah (around 2-3,000 total depending on where we go) with our base model two door and while itā€™s not super luxurious itā€™s comfortable enough that it doesnā€™t feel like itā€™s draining

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
A four door will have a nicer ride vs a two door, and certainly recommend the hard top for a bit less road noise on a longer trip.
Any JL should be fine and a significant step up from the previous gen JKs.

azulwavesJL

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU hydro blue
Occupation
Flight Planning Supervisor
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and thinking about getting another Jeep. I currently have a 1980 CJ5 which I'll be selling so I can get something more road-worthy, as in long road trips. I have no idea where to start, but I do love the looks of the Wrangler, so am thinking this is a good place to ask: which might be best for long trips (1000 miles back and forth), not as much noise on the interstate, more comfort, and a reasonable price. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, but reliability is necessary. I will make sure it has regular maintenance. Also, which year (nothing new)? The longer wheel base of the 4 doors may be a better fit too. I won't use it off-road that much, and when I do it'll be for light off-roading, nothing heavy. Then why a Jeep? Because I do love Jeeps & because I want one. To me, that's enough of a reason. Why have something you don't love?
Check out the Sahara trim for a more luxury experience...Jeep wise.

Or check out the Willys option. A little more off-road capable than the Sport S, but doesn't have any of the true off-road options that a Rubicon has. Which by your post, you will never need.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I admit that I am biased. I have the diesel Rubicon and have never looked back. One of my rides was up by Lone Pine CA. I filled up the jeep in El Cajon and drove non-stop to Lone Pine on 2/3 tank of fuel. I have over 400 mile range on an 18 gallon tank. I am running 35 Inch tires on a 3.5 inch lift and still get 23 to 25 mpg. I have 28k on the engine and have had zero problems. The diesel jeep is doing everything I wanted and more.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Wrangler for Long Road Trips 20210731_084917
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Wrangler for Long Road Trips 20210729_191217

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JK
Occupation
Writer, editor, nature lover
These are great replies, and give me a good place to start. I'll see if anyone else has input, then I suppose my next step is to actually test drive a few. Does anyone know what year or price range I should be looking at?

I really can't afford anything new, so something a little older.

Thanks much,
Maggie

azulwavesJL

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU hydro blue
Occupation
Flight Planning Supervisor
These are great replies, and give me a good place to start. I'll see if anyone else has input, then I suppose my next step is to actually test drive a few. Does anyone know what year or price range I should be looking at?

Thanks much,
Maggie
Go with 2021 as Jeep worked out most of the bugs from the 2018-2019 JLs.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Welcome to the forum, @MaggieGirl

FWIW, coming from a CJ5 means you're only going Up, in terms of capability and refinement.

The JL-generation Jeeps begin with model year 2018, and the Sahara trim, as mentioned, has any number of popular creature comforts that make it a popular choice. The JL generation is, by popular consensus, a material improvement over the JK-generation Wrangler that preceded it. Food for thought.

Wranglers retain their market value remarkably well, so expect pricing that might otherwise be a bit surprising (to put it politely.) ;)

An enduring bit of advice I've received through the years, and that I pass along now, is to suggest that you purchase the newest vehicle that you can reasonably afford. Test drive as many vehicles as can be arranged to get the best perspective on what your choice(s) can provide for you.

Best of luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

Sahara comes up often as the most roadworthy Wrangler because of the 18-inch wheels and unique shocks, but I find the ride and handling differences small. IMO, any Wrangler with a hardtop and all-terrain tires will suit your needs.

Iā€™d focus on these options:
  1. Automatic transmission - it is one of the best in the industry. Period
  2. If you are going to be driving long distances through all types of weather, Iā€™d get a Wrangler with the Selec-Trac and rear LSD. They will give you added peace of mind when the weather turns unpredictable
  3. Hardtop. Both the One-Touch Sky and either soft top will add wind noise.
  4. Hardtop headliner - adds more noise suppression
  5. Cold Weather Group - just makes winter driving much more comfortable
Everything else is a matter of personal preference.

If you are going to be driving in snow, a Wrangler with Selec-Trac, rear LSD, and a set of snow-rated ATs, like KO2s, Duratracs or Grabbers, is going to be hard to beat.

Wranglers hold their value well. You will find that a new Wrangler can cost the same, and sometimes even less, than a slightly used one.

For the best bang-for-the-buck, Iā€™d order a Sport S with the 2.0T, automatic, Selec-Trac (LSD is required), hardtop, headliner, and Cold Weather Group. Thatā€™d put you in the $40,000 to $45,000 range, before any dealer discounts.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
For longer trips, I would recommend a 4-door without reservation. I do a lot of back-and-forth with my sister's 2-door, and hers is much more squirrely on high ways.

The obvious answer if you want more comfort is to go for the Sahara trim, too. I think the suspension is a bit more cushy, but I may be wrong on that. I would also recommend the leather seats for longer trips. I don't have them, but I hear good things.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Welcome to the forums!! šŸ‘‹šŸ»

If you can manage a JL financially, Iā€™d say, go for it.
you know your needs best. A 4 door will give you a good ride and decent range. As a road trip vehicle, you canā€™t go wrong. 4 door sport or if you can, a Sahara with LED package. Iā€™m fond of the cold weather pack too. Iā€™ve had no issues with my 2.0T.

finally, windshields on these are prone to crack easily. Be prepared for that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just tried building a Sport S on Jeep.com: it appears if you want Selec-Trac, you are forced to get the V6.

Both the automatic and the V6 are very reliable.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

I really can't afford anything new, so something a little older.

Thanks much,
Maggie
You are almost better to buy new in the current market because decent used JLs are sell at close to their original MSRP.

On a new JL you will have better finance options and durations as well.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You are almost better to buy new in the current market because decent used JLs are sell at close to their original MSRP.

On a new JL you will have better finance options and durations as well.
And, more room to haggle. As strange as that sounds.
Sponsored