Not open for further replies.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
When we hear about folks selling their cars on Craigslist, we generally don’t recommend it because so much can go wrong, plus if you don’t know what you’re doing, it can be a very frustrating process. However, we know plenty of people have had perfectly fine experiences. We wanna hear about your best or worst experiences selling on Craigslist. If you want to hear from us first, you can also check out our blog for some helpful steps and tips for selling on Craigslist, and this short video about one of our memorable experiences. Looking forward to reading everyone's stories!

Blog: https://www.carmigo.io/2023/05/30/sell-my-car-on-craigslist-safely/
Video:
Sponsored

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I sold both pre-Jeep vehicles on CL. Never put your phone # or email in the post, use CL contact buffer. You will get scam bots or BS offers. I always reply through CL asking their location. Depending on the reply it usually will tell you if that person is real. I found my Jeep through CL.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I sold both pre-Jeep vehicles on CL. Never put your phone # or email in the post, use CL contact buffer. You will get scam bots or BS offers. I always reply through CL asking their location. Depending on the reply it usually will tell you if that person is real. I found my Jeep through CL.
Good tip. If you know what you're doing and can figure out the difference between real people or scammers, it's a great tool.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Not selling, but buying...$500 NIB premium soft top FTW!
Not bad at all! Selling on there gets sort of tricky, my one and only experience ended up costing me 4k because it was a scam, but buying on the site goes well so long as you're safe!

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does it have to be a car? My worst Craigslist experience was buying a puppy from a drug dealer in Compton while almost being robed by a homeless person and then accidentally running a lady off the road trying to get out of town.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I've sold three vehicles on CL. In each case, the first guy who came along to actually see them in person, bought them.

But I put LOTS of photos in my ads and got all 3 vehicles detailed inside and out, including the engine compartment.

Of course, I got a handful of really stupid responses each time.

Example:

Responder: "What's the absolute minimum you'd sell for?"
Me: "What's the absolute maximum you'd pay?"

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Sold and bought a few bikes and bike parts via CL. So far, no issues. If selling just take good photos, describe your item accurately, and list it at a fair price. Either buying or selling, definitely use the CL buffer between your e-mail and the potential buyer/seller.

dstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX
Sold a truck on CL.

Was contacted by someone out of the country where they wanted to pay with a (fake) bank check for more than the asking amount and then get me to pay a freight company to load the truck on a ship with the difference. But the time the bank tells you the check is bad the vehicle is long gone and also you are out $4000 or so for shipping. The foreign bank is usually complicit in the scam so you will not get anything back.

Pretty easy to detect and prevent these scams.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Back when they had the Adult Gigs section, some catering company wanted to hire little people to wear sombreros full of chips and salsa and butler them around for a Cinco de Mayo party. We were a proper country.

• Haha
Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Does it have to be a car? My worst Craigslist experience was buying a puppy from a drug dealer in Compton while almost being robed by a homeless person and then accidentally running a lady off the road trying to get out of town.
wait what?? all in one day? also, what happened to the puppy?

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I've sold three vehicles on CL. In each case, the first guy who came along to actually see them in person, bought them.

But I put LOTS of photos in my ads and got all 3 vehicles detailed inside and out, including the engine compartment.

Of course, I got a handful of really stupid responses each time.

Example:

Responder: "What's the absolute minimum you'd sell for?"
Me: "What's the absolute maximum you'd pay?"
Sounds like you're a craigslist pro!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Sounds like you're a craigslist pro!
Hardly

Just seems like if you're really interested in selling your vehicle, you'd post lots of good photos and have it clean as a whistle to show off to potential buyers.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Back when they had the Adult Gigs section, some catering company wanted to hire little people to wear sombreros full of chips and salsa and butler them around for a Cinco de Mayo party. We were a proper country.
Honestly not sure if that's politically incorrect or anything, but it sounds like a pretty awesome party! So.. did you have fun, or get the job? 🥳

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Work in an area that has a lot of H-1B VISA immigrants from India. Had one guy willing to pay full asking but only if I taught him and his wife how to drive.

Have gotten a couple of women asking for the "single mom" discount.

Then there is always the handful of mouth breathers that ask questions that could have been answered if they fully read the ad and looked at the pictures.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.