Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased my first Jeep last summer and would like some input on wheel and tires sizes. I use my Jeep mainly for street driving but go off-roading a few times every month in mud, rocks, snow, etc. I want a 3.5 inch lift and I’m also trying to decide between 35 and 37 inch tires but don’t know much about the size wheels that work best for what I’m doing. What combination of lift, wheels, and tires have you found to work best for off-roading and daily driving? What brands are best for 3.5 inch lifts?
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I purchased my first Jeep last summer and would like some input on wheel and tires sizes. I use my Jeep mainly for street driving but go off-roading a few times every month in mud, rocks, snow, etc. I want a 3.5 inch lift and I’m also trying to decide between 35 and 37 inch tires but don’t know much about the size wheels that work best for what I’m doing. What combination of lift, wheels, and tires have you found to work best for off-roading and daily driving? What brands are best for 3.5 inch lifts?
35s for sure. 37s will require some beefing up if you're going to do anything more than street driving, not to mention Sport gearing isnt "geared" for it (pun intended), which means anything more than a dirt road wont be super fun. my jeep struggles a little with 35s. plus your mpg will go to shit. even with street driving, you'd want to seriously reinforce your tailgate with 37s. they are heavy.

and that's if you have an 8spd. with a 6spd.... not even sure about the 35s. lots of people complain about the manual on 35s.

ive got a super sick set of wheels for sale in the marketplace. i have them on my jeep on 35" patagonias which are a hybrid tire. a hybrid of mud terrain and all terrain. ive used them in the snow and they work fine. also great for daily driving. very quiet. and very affordable. my 2nd recommendation would be BFG KO2s. both in 315/70/17.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/forgestar-edge-weld-racing-bnib.64850/

OP
OP
rockclimber

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
35s for sure. 37s will require some beefing up if you're going to do anything more than street driving, not to mention Sport gearing isnt "geared" for it (pun intended), which means anything more than a dirt road wont be super fun. my jeep struggles a little with 35s. plus your mpg will go to shit. even with street driving, you'd want to seriously reinforce your tailgate with 37s. they are heavy.

and that's if you have an 8spd. with a 6spd.... not even sure about the 35s. lots of people complain about the manual on 35s.

ive got a super sick set of wheels for sale in the marketplace. i have them on my jeep on 35" patagonias which are a hybrid tire. a hybrid of mud terrain and all terrain. ive used them in the snow and they work fine. also great for daily driving. very quiet. and very affordable. my 2nd recommendation would be BFG KO2s. both in 315/70/17.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/forgestar-edge-weld-racing-bnib.64850/
I’ve been looking at wheels and tires all night and I think I settled on Fuel Wheels Vapor Matte Black Wheel 18x9 and NITTO Ridge Grappler All-Terrain Tire 35x12.5xR18. If anyone has any better ideas of wheel and tire combinations I won’t be ordering these for awhile..about $3200 and that’s after I have a 3.5 lift installed. Speaking of lifts any recommendations?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Hmmm...

A lot depends on the kind of off-roading you want to do. As @JLUin818 has said, Sport models are not designed for extreme off-roading. They are designed for bad roads, old mining trails and medium level off-roading.

If you put 37" tires on a Sport or Sahara, you are likely to see a significant drop in power and gas mileage. A 2" lift and 35" tires would be a better choice.

If you really want a big lift and 37" tires, I would recommend a Rubicon. If not, you will need to make some significant upgrades to your Sport.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you really should upgrade a Rubicon as well. i have D44 on my Sport which is what Rubi has. only thing a rubi has over me, as far as running 37s goes, is the gearing, and even then 4.10 isnt really sufficient for 37s. thats just for running 37s. as for hardcore off roading, the rubi has some meh skid plates, transfer case and lockers. i bought much better skid plates for my Sport and eventually will do gears/lockers. ill grab a transfer case when one comes for sale, when a rubi owner upgrades.

ive seen guys with Sports doing medium grade off roading on 37s. ive considered them myself and eventually may run them for offroading excursions some day.

as far as the lift goes, it depends on your budget, and how serious of off roading you want to do. from what OP is describing i would recommend rubi suspension with spacer lift. gives you nice BIG lift for cheap. maintains good stock like ride and is cheeeeap.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Wheel/Tire setup for 2020 JLUS 302E06D0-2223-4162-8745-390803D9CF64

zeebos sport next to mine. We have same wheels and tires. 315 Patagonias.

i have stock rubi suspension with runi fenders.

he has rubi suspension plus RC spacer lift on stock sport fenders. His jeep towers over mine
Sponsored