Sponsored

Best weekend warrior/DD non spacer suspension?

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I ran a Long Arm TF kit on my JK. Great for wheeling, not so great for DD.

I'm now only going to take my JLU Rubi for camping and the Vermont Overland Rally.

What's the best solution for me? Stock Suspension with 35s?

What's the best non spacer but DD/Weekend warrior friendly lift out there? Opinions strong, negative, good, bad - all are welcome!
Sponsored

First Name
Bradford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl Rubicon
I can only tell you what I went with, and that's the metalcloak game changer 3 1/2" rocksport...

I did a bunch of reading, googling, YouTubing... I haven't installed mine yet, it's sitting at my house and I'm at work, but reports are that it handles better than stock, it's got a crazy amount of flex, and the duraflex joints are amazing.

You sound kinda like me... Weekend warrior, I'll probably go on 3-4 real wheeling trips a year, but the rest of the time the jeep will get me back and forth to work, Walmart and maybe (in my case) find a date!

BTW, the date thing does work... chick's dig cool jeeps lol

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've changed my preferences over the years. I used to be a proponent of all 8 adjustable arms, the most flex in joints etc. I've come to the conclusion that this is not necessary for the majority of people.

The stock bushings/joints, for most people, are the best by far. They are maitenance free, absorb vibration, ride best on road, and last forever.

I strongly suggest going with a kit that keeps your stock arms. Add Rancho geometry correction brackets. These result in an amazing on road ride. You will need a front adjustable track bar. Rough Country and Teraflex use stock like joints/rubber bushings.

If you like Teraflex, go with their basic 2.5 kit, add an adjustable track bar, and the Rancho geometry brackets with your choice of shocks. Alternatively, JKS just came out with a heavy duty spring kit that would be good for over landing. Just need to add the geo brackets and ditch the cam bolts.

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've changed my preferences over the years. I used to be a proponent of all 8 adjustable arms, the most flex in joints etc. I've come to the conclusion that this is not necessary for the majority of people.

The stock bushings/joints, for most people, are the best by far. They are maitenance free, absorb vibration, ride best on road, and last forever.
I'm not wed to one particular vendor or another - as admittedly i wouldn't be able to tell the difference in quality between different vendors because i've never run different lift kits on one vehicle.

What's your opinion on RK? They seem to have a "weekend warrior" focused Adventure Series kit.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'm not wed to one particular vendor or another - as admittedly i wouldn't be able to tell the difference in quality between different vendors because i've never run different lift kits on one vehicle.

What's your opinion on RK? They seem to have a "weekend warrior" focused Adventure Series kit.
I ran their X-Factor kit in 3.5 and 5.5 inches on previous jeeps. If you live where there is winter, the coating doesn't hold up and the parts rust instantly. There springs are also very stiff. A lot of people like them but I wouldn't choose RK again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you live where there is winter, the coating doesn't hold up and the parts rust instantly. .
good to know. NE winter driving for me.

Waiting patiently for SEMA to review options. Leaning towards AEV.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
good to know. NE winter driving for me.

Waiting patiently for SEMA to review options. Leaning towards AEV.
I like that AEV uses many of the stock parts, plus their kits ride nice. Haven't gotten any word when they will release them.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Check out JKS. My DD is still almost as smooth as stock.

JeepFX

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Wrangler
I just added the Teraflex sport drop bracket to my 2.5 inch lift and it made a big difference with the ride quality. Took a lot of harshness and chatter out of the ride. I highly recommend this for jeeps that are DD’s.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Ride is totally sibjective. Ive had rk springs on 2 different jeeps and loved the ride with the right shocks. We also get several snows a year and heavily salted roads and I never had issues with rust.

Every company out there has their horror stories if you look. As long as the companies take care of you when you have a issue is what matters to me so long as the product is solid. I think all of the companies listed will take care of you.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
After tons and tons of reading and watching videos. I live in Buffalo, NY and like you I plan on 3-4 wheeling trips a year (Bantam (Pa), Rausche, and Southington (Ohio) and my JLUR is also a DD, I’ve pretty much set on the 2.5” MetalCloak Rocksport True Dual Rate lift kit. Rubber bushings and the zinc coating will be better for handling salt and dampening vibrations. I also have a friend who got the RK Xfactor 2.5, and he loves it but does say it’s quite stiff.
Sponsored