Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Correct, property is not defensible with deadly force, unless your life is also in danger. Physical force maybe, deadly force, no. CO law:

Use of Physical Force in Defense of Property
A person is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt to commit theft, criminal mischief or criminal tampering involving property, but he may use deadly physical force under these circumstances only in defense of himself or another.
I have investigated many, many shootings over the last three-plus decades, so I have several lessons to share:
1) Even those who “win” in deadly force encounters invariably lose In the years that follow. The experience of shooting another person isn’t natural, no matter how many times you’ve seen it on TV. The experience lives in your head and it takes a lasting toll that seems to compound over time — even when the justification is a no-brainer, and the person who got shot is a violent asshole with no discernible redeeming value.
2) Being clearly justified is almost irrelevant when it comes to how it will be portrayed/interpreted by the media, which will spin the story to maximize controversy and drama, and many of the new generation of DAs, many of whom are more invested in protecting criminals than protecting their communities. Historically, the non-criminal got the benefit of the doubt, but you can’t count on that anymore. I’ve seen kind, mild-mannered, well meaning cops publicly vilified when they did everything right, because the media has an axe to grind and no clue about what is required to survive violent encounters. Many, many times the media has used exculpatory evidence to suggest guilt, and the community at large has bought the narrative.
3) Regardless of what the DA deicides to do with the potential criminal case, there will always be a tort lawyer waiting to step forward and sue the heck out of you. The adorable 1st grade class picture of the career criminal you shot will be shown to the media (and the jury), as his tearful Mom explains what a ”good boy” he always was. (The Ferguson case jumps to mind).

The old saying “Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six” is still true, but just barely. I’m well equipped to defend myself, but if push came to shove I’d let the asshole have my jeep.
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Ultimately, to me, the Jeep is a thing... a replaceable thing. And as angry as I would be if someone tried to steal it, I can't justify taking their life for it whether the law permits it or not.

And every time someone starts a thread like this and all the Rambo wannabes weigh in about how they would handle the situation I am reminded of a line from Unforgiven: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have." to which I would add you also take away all he's done and all he's ever going to do... forever.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I have no experience with steel winch lines, but wouldn’t a bolt cutter go through it fairly quickly?
If I were to actually do this, I wouldn't use the winch but just carry heavy duty chain and padlock and chain the frame to a light pole, etc.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
That's what I do. Cheapest insurance there is, especially when I pulled in to Albuquerque at night on a cross-country trip and within 90 seconds of stepping out of my hotel was solicited, pan-handled and came upon a literal pile of human excrement with an abandoned shoe stuck in it. Albuquerque is a s**thole. Was never happier to have paid a valet fee in my life.
“That’s” where I left my shoe. Thanks. I’ll go get it.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It's been a few decades since I traveled in Baja but our first strategy was to never stop in Tijuana, keep an eye on the vehicle in Ensenada and other larger towns. In the rural areas the people were very nice and respectful. If staying in a larger town then look for fenced in parking with security.
sounds just like the US, stay out of large cities and everyone in the rural area are nice people.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
How likely is this to actually happen.... I feel it is way more likely to forget the jeep is in 4lo than getting it towed by some random lowlife lol. At least for me.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Nice rural areas sure. But ive been to plenty rural areas that are full of of meth-heads.
Ditto.

Generally better odds than inner cities, but many of the rural areas around Oregon’s larger towns have a pretty low tooth-to-head count.

I dunno. Every part of the country has some crime, but it sure seems like the worst of the crime cancer spreads inward from our coasts, notwithstanding Chicago.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Careful of the gun laws in Mexico. No pistol calibers over 9mm/38, no ARs (from what I've heard/read), no short shotguns (length?). Gun violations are big time prison sentences.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Careful of the gun laws in Mexico. No pistol calibers over 9mm/38, no ARs (from what I've heard/read), no short shotguns (length?). Gun violations are big time prison sentences.
Not 100% sure, but I've always heard that civilians aren't allowed to own/use weapons with calibers that are used by military or law enforcement (while the cartels use everything under the sun).

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not 100% sure, but I've always heard that civilians aren't allowed to own/use weapons with calibers that are used by military or law enforcement (while the cartels use everything under the sun).
Heard the same lore. Not sure about the accuracy, but seems to have some truth.

A few years back in the news, there was a young man that was arrested in Mexico for having a short shotgun and his parents were trying to get the State Dept to help spring him from a long prison sentence.

I'd been solicited by hunting outfitters to go to Mx a number of times, but always avoided travel down there, especially in the past 20 years or so. I did travel to Mexicali repeatedly in the early 90s, since I was the quality manager over a plant there as well as socal. Things are very cheap there, but that's not enough enticement for me.

Southern California has enough Mexico for me. I suppose I should add Arizona to that statement as I type this from Sierra Vista, on an 2 week quail hunt, after having had a plate of tacos for dinner. 😄

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ditto.

Generally better odds than inner cities, but many of the rural areas around Oregon’s larger towns have a pretty low tooth-to-head count.

I dunno. Every part of the country has some crime, but it sure seems like the worst of the crime cancer spreads inward from our coasts, notwithstanding Chicago.
'Follow the money'. The money is where the people are.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? United States Population Ma

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Whoever said air-down was genius.
Honestly, thinking about it, stem pulled from one tire might do it. With 37s, it's an obvious "someone messed with it" look to have one tire deflated. Makes the Jeep less attractive.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Get an eyelock, best locks ever.
Sponsored