Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I don't understand some of these comments/commenters about not caring if someone steals their Jeep, insurance will cover it, etc.
Fuck that.
What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours. Touch, damage or steal anything and the offender (not insurance) should reap the consequences.
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Lock your winch cable to the concrete parking stop or light pole in front of the jeep...just don't forget to unhook it before you back out...
I think this may be the best solution suggested. That's fairly simple and a strong deterrent.

Eddies

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
ok, gotta sound stupid but I need to ask - where are you guys that this is a concern ? do thieves really tow cars away, instead of simply driving away with them ?

Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
If you have a real cable...not synthetic.
I don't know, maybe you load up the winch line on the pole and watch the fun as the idiots cut the synthetic. That is a candidate for a Darwin Award for sure! :like:

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
ok, gotta sound stupid but I need to ask - where are you guys that this is a concern ? do thieves really tow cars away, instead of simply driving away with them ?
I have no experience with steel winch lines, but wouldn’t a bolt cutter go through it fairly quickly?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Would 4LO increase the tire leverage on the transmission parking pawl, making it more likely to damage the internals than 4 hi without significant increase in difficulty?
No it's the opposite- 4LO reduces the force applied to the transmission.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Whoever said air-down was genius. Takes a few seconds per tire to just pull all the stems and go to bed. bring the compressor into the room if it's a portable, or at least the hose for a hard mounted one. No sense in giving a thief the tools to steal your rig.

When towing your rig, pull one side of the towbar off the hardpoint and put a huge padlock through the hardpoint pin hole. When I was towing my JL, I removed the towbar at night and stowed it in my truck. I hated the idea that any pickup with a hitch could tow off my JL with MY towbar or if a thief just stole the towbar while I overnighted in Tonopah NV, I'd be hosed, since I was traveling alone and it'd be a huge logistics issue to get a replacement towbar with the correct ends, not to mention the cost and time.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Well we are taking the Jeep into Mexico next week to wheel on the Baja Peninsula for four days. The extra insurance is kind of pricey. It was $140 for the trip.
It's been a few decades since I traveled in Baja but our first strategy was to never stop in Tijuana, keep an eye on the vehicle in Ensenada and other larger towns. In the rural areas the people were very nice and respectful. If staying in a larger town then look for fenced in parking with security.