Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I often think about that kind of stuff when traveling...

I like parking as close to the front door as possible.

If I don't get a good parking spot when I arrive, I'd go back later and check for better parking...it's that important to me.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
Let me ask you this, how many times has someone tried to steal it??

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If a law enforcement officer does it on or off duty, no problem if it's justified. However, if a citizen (in many states) uses a lethal force in a defense situation, they can be arrested first (they sure will in the greater Chicago area) and then get released after the facts get sorted; it depends where you are, the circumstances, and the zealousness of the DA. However, It will cost the citizen a small fortune in legal fees if they exercise a lethal defense. It's a lousy system, IMHO.
Stand your ground laws. Vehicle is considered your property, even when you're out of state.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Stand your ground laws. Vehicle is considered your property, even when you're out of state.
Got to be careful with that state to state, if you weren’t in your vehicle and you saw someone stealing it, I don’t believe you could go pop them to stop a theft (in California at least).

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
There’s a special place in hell reserved for Jeep thieves.

First they get sent down…
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? 1674786739835

They meet the Devil…
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? 1674787127414

And then they burn…
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? 1674787046050

With their friends.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? 1674787499198

😈

Last edited:

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Got to be careful with that state to state, if you weren’t in your vehicle and you saw someone stealing it, I don’t believe you could go pop them to stop a theft (in California at least).
Correct, property is not defensible with deadly force, unless your life is also in danger. Physical force maybe, deadly force, no. CO law:

Use of Physical Force in Defense of Property
A person is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt to commit theft, criminal mischief or criminal tampering involving property, but he may use deadly physical force under these circumstances only in defense of himself or another.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Correct, property is not defensible with deadly force, unless your life is also in danger. Physical force maybe, deadly force, no. CO law:

Use of Physical Force in Defense of Property
A person is justified in using reasonable and appropriate physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt to commit theft, criminal mischief or criminal tampering involving property, but he may use deadly physical force under these circumstances only in defense of himself or another.
I read that just last week as I’m in CO and thinking about carrying on trips. It makes sense that just property theft doesn’t count. Even if that’s stricter than in other states I don’t think I’d even consider it if I didn’t feel like I was personally in danger.

Sponsored

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
Like getting covid there might be other things to worry about first.

for me getting towed isn't one of them.

I have insurance. Want my jeep? take it. I'll have another very shortly.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Bumper sticker for overnight parking:

“[Insert highly infectious disease] patient transportation vehicle.” 🤷‍♂️