Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? 25db316544a875912234573de0106a80-2621676803

He goes where I go, He sets on the drivers seat waiting for fresh meat.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Gonna cut and paste a post I made elsewhere.

We currently have a theft ring running from Toronto to Montreal. There is a major port in Montreal ran by corruption so it's easy to get them sent to Africa.
Oddly enough, we have seen 4Xe's get abandoned once the piece of shit thieves realise they're electric cause Africa doesn't have infrastructure to support charging them. Lol

They have the same computers that the dealers have.

They pop hood. Pull fuses for horn and head unit. Punch passenger side door lock. Remove glove box and connect just like the dealer to STAR connector. Create a new key and drive away. In about 5 min.
They also know about the Tazer brake lock and pull Tasers out of OBDII.

For some reason Jeep doesnt enable the hood pins to sound alarm. That alone has saved at least one JT in the area. I have enable like 7 different Jeeps for people in my area. Dealers STILL can't enable them for some reason.

People are using a U shaped bike lock from steering wheel to holy shit handle.

Unfortunately, I wish it was as easy as a OBDII weakness. I would just leave bypass cable connected all the time. The STAR connector made OBDII security moot.

Currently dealers are pulling fuel pump fuses on their lots to combat this shit. Jeep told them to do that. 2 dealers in the area have said they can't enable hood pins like JScan and Tazer.
I'm actually surprised we aren't seeing this in US port cities as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
Towing is quick and you need to be quicker.

As for doing something to your Jeep to deny getting it started, that is easy. Take a single wire that if broken your Jeep will not start. Put a single switch on it and turn off when you leave.

The towing thing you might try this: What I like about it, is it shoots a .50 Cal, if that does not work you can beat them to death with it as it weights about 6 lb with a full mag.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep? IMG_3122.JPG

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Mine was stolen once already. I hope it doesn't happen again, but whatever, I guess. I'm using the Tazer PIN lock, and honestly, I just do not enjoy it as much as I used to, so I don't drive it if I'm going to a bad town or will have to stay in a hotel. I won't park on the street, drive it to the store unless someone is waiting inside it....... Kinda sucks. If they want it, they will get it. I really despise most people.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

Something like this ? tire boot

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I haven't read all 5 pages so some of this may have been mentioned.

1) turning the wheels isn't really effective since there is no steering lock.
2) apple air tags work great if you have an iPhone. I have used it to track my daughter's ski bag when she flies to competitions. It's not real time, but close enough. And at $25 with zero monthly fee, you would be crazy to not use it.
3) Leaving the truck with the transfer case in neutral will stop some less experienced thieves dead in their tracks if they intend to drive it.
4) Leaving the truck in 4L will help if they try to tow it because lifting the back end won't make it roll easy. If they try to drive it, it will also force them to go really slow unless they know how to get it out. Ha.

Sponsored

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Nobody is going to tow it, they will make a key in a few seconds and drive it away.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

I'm not sure if you're aware of dollies or not. But they go around the wheel and when closed lift the tire up. Most tow truck guys have these. It would take less time to set them for towing than it takes you to do all these things. I think what you are doing is giving you peace of mind, but don't under estimate the cleverness of a thief.

Best thing to do is to pick locations wisely and park in areas that don't give nefarious characters opportunity. Having a good dash cam that can send to the cloud (like blackvue) is a good option for helping catch thieves, but I don't know if the presence of said camera works as a true deterrent.

Smash and grabs are more common than vehicle thefts, so it is important to not leave things of value in the car. Also anything bluetooth should be brought in, since people will scan for bluetooth signals to see if someone is hiding a laptop or electronic in the vehicle. These signals also identify what the product is so they know what they're getting out of the deal. Just powering something off doesn't always kill the signal, so best bet is to bring it in with you. When I take my laptop and other such high value resale items like cameras, I keep these things in 1-2 bags all together so it is super easy to grab and bring in with me.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Is this really happening? I guess maybe if its a 392 but I don't see or hear often of Jeeps being stolen let alone towed by thieves. Just surprising to me.
FBI crime statistics in 2022 proved that a minimum of 21 Wranglers were stolen weekly across the country…

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Who remembers "The Club"? With the front wheels turned and no steering wheel lock its easy to turn them back to center, unless you have "The Club". LOL
I had a vehicle stolen that had a Club on it back in the late-90's. They actually tried to steal it once as they punch the door lock out to get inside and almost ripped the entire steering wheel off and broke the steering column trying to get the club off (you could see where they were beating on it with a hammer or something). About a year later they actually stole it. When it was recovered we found they had simply cut a notch out of the steering wheel to slide the club off. While it's very difficult to cut the Club itself, especially while trying to steal a vehicle, it doesn't take much to cut the steering wheel. Not saying the Club is not a deterrent, but just another example of if they want it, they will take it.

In regards to other posts about 4 low, I do agree that it would make it a little harder to steal by towing. Mainly because it would make it much more obvious something is a little unusual and make more noise as it dragged the front tires around.....would be pretty noticeable.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I had a vehicle stolen that had a Club on it back in the late-90's. They actually tried to steal it once as they punch the door lock out to get inside and almost ripped the entire steering wheel off and broke the steering column trying to get the club off (you could see where they were beating on it with a hammer or something). About a year later they actually stole it. When it was recovered we found they had simply cut a notch out of the steering wheel to slide the club off. While it's very difficult to cut the Club itself, especially while trying to steal a vehicle, it doesn't take much to cut the steering wheel. Not saying the Club is not a deterrent, but just another example of if they want it, they will take it.

In regards to other posts about 4 low, I do agree that it would make it a little harder to steal by towing. Mainly because it would make it much more obvious something is a little unusual and make more noise as it dragged the front tires around.....would be pretty noticeable.
I've heard the brake pedal locks are better than The Club for that reason. Can't cut the brake pedal.
Sponsored