Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I don’t think putting it in 4low or 4high is going to change anything. All they have to do is remove the cover of the pull string and it puts the transfer case into neutral. The hellcat guys are making plates that cover the pull string with security bolts. Which is something I would like to fab up as well.

LoJack and tazer aren’t going to help much either since all they have to do is look at the OBD II and remove them. (Not 100% sure if it stays pin protected if the tazer is removed) I’m putting an AirTag in my jeep, but removing the speaker first so that it doesn’t make the chirp sound.

Hood lock, kill switch, and a cover for the pull string are probably the best way to keep someone from taking your jeep.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Trunk Monkey!!
That lot is semi local to me, I bought a Chevy 3500 Duramax from them awhile back. They weren't afraid to admit they were the trunk monkey lot.
Too bad they recently sold the business to another dealership. I've dealt with the new dealership in the past on a couple occasions, while they weren't bad, they weren't quit as good as the Trunk Monkey lot was.

Some of those commercials are a bit on the edge by today's standard. Still pretty funny though.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That lot is semi local to me, I bought a Chevy 3500 Duramax from them awhile back. They weren't afraid to admit they were the trunk monkey lot.
Too bad they recently sold the business to another dealership. I've dealt with the new dealership in the past on a couple occasions, while they weren't bad, they weren't quit as good as the Trunk Monkey lot was.

Some of those commercials are a bit on the edge by today's standard. Still pretty funny though.
I hope the guy that came up with that made it huge.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
A few thoughts on suggestions being made.
There is a lock box or the Tazer, while it probably won't stop them, it will slow them down. Then you can do the pin lock and hood alarm. Also need to do something about the horns, or atleast the wiring.
Airtags, won't those show on any iPhone in the area? I thought they popped on all I-products to stop people from tracking people they should. I've heard of people hard wiring cheap cell phones to the vehicle battery so they can be pinged anywhere any time.

May toss a few spent 45 Colt rounds on the dash.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
We travel a lot and often park in hotel and motel lots. Is there anything that you do to make ulyour jeep harder to tow away?

I park between two vehicles, nose in first. Turn the wheels to full lock one direction, put the transfer case in 4low. This makes it very difficult to get it out of the parking spot and difficult to tow. Not saying these obstacles can’t be worked around, just saying it make the process way more difficult.

What strategies do you use to make your Jeep harder to be stolen?
I like your style. In Colorado we are blessed with an usually high vehicle theft rate. It’s my wife’s JLURD, but I‘d be bummed if it disappeared.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I pay the meth-head outside the Motel 6 $10 at night and tell them another $10 in the morning to watch my Jeep all night.
I’ve found it’s better to stock your own dime bags for funding. Otherwise you risk exposure while the meth head is sourcing your initial investment.

EDIT: Check that. I feel like this is a risky approach. Give a mouse a cookie, right? What if the Meth Head takes that Hamilton to his dealer, and then asks how much he can get for a whole Jeep?

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I make sure to put it in neutral and use a parking block, just in case of emergency and I need to push it out of the way. I park where there aren't any lights, because I'm a private person and don't like people seeing me come and go. I leave the doors unlocked because my kids are always forgetting stuff in there and it's easier if they can run out and grab it real quick. I leave the keys in the cup holder because I'm always losing them, and I know if they're always in the jeep I'll always know where they are. I leave my radios, gps, and recovery gear out on the seats because it's easier to inventory when I get in the next time. I keep the title in the glove box because you never know when someone will offer to buy it, gotta be prepared!

Most importantly I NEVER leave my sunglasses in the jeep. They're nice, wouldn't want someone getting any ideas...

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I know it's not always an option, but I try to book hotels in more populated areas, higher quality locations, etc.

I try to also always park as close to the front door as possible, or under a street light, well-lit areas, etc. Make'em do it in the daylight if I can, so to speak.

Also try to park in a place that would be hard to get a tow truck into - curves, turns, etc.

At the end of the day, if they want to steal it, they're going to.
I spend a lot of nights, staying at a LOT of hotels, in a wide variety of demographic representative areas...

The one and only time I have had a vehicle broken into or tampered with, it was literally out front of the main door of the hotel in a decent middle-class type area, well lit and I was in the hotel for about 6 hours that overnight. They smashed the back window of my truck anyway to try and get the empty storage crate out of the back...

Just saying, all of the "this is best practice" etc is horse shit when it comes to "protecting" you against thieves in hotel parking lots. Your stuff will get stolen, or it won't it's basically that simple... Literally the only thing that helps sway those odds in favor of it won't is to not have it look like there's even a remote possibility of something being in your vehicle. Not even an empty storage crate...

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
When I picked up my Jeep from the dealer in November they helped me set up the Jeep app on my phone, but they also set up a program called Theft Patrol. Does anybody else have this? One of the features is that you can always see the location of your Jeep and you can set up a Geofence around it. Basically it's a prescribed perimeter and if the Jeep leaves that perimeter you get a message and you can call 911 and track where it goes. Obviously it won't stop somebody from stealing the Jeep but it might help recover it afterward.
Those things won't be available on my Willy's Sport I'd imagine right?

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Those things won't be available on my Willy's Sport I'd imagine right?
I don't know. Sorry. You might check with your dealer to see if it's something they offer. Most of the time my Jeep lives in the garage, but I'll definitely be using it when we do our road trip this summer.
Sponsored