Sponsored

Best way to stop a thief from towing your Jeep?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
When I picked up my Jeep from the dealer in November they helped me set up the Jeep app on my phone, but they also set up a program called Theft Patrol. Does anybody else have this? One of the features is that you can always see the location of your Jeep and you can set up a Geofence around it. Basically it's a prescribed perimeter and if the Jeep leaves that perimeter you get a message and you can call 911 and track where it goes. Obviously it won't stop somebody from stealing the Jeep but it might help recovering it afterward.
Elo is a similiar setup that dealerships install as a profit add on. Mine was free since they accidentally installed the package after I told them not to. I also got free green valve stem caps :).

IIRC Sirius Guardian works the same, but is probably even more expensive to keep active. I'd assume, like Elo, you'll get an email to pay to continue your service on Theft Patrol after a few months.
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Elo is a similiar setup that dealerships install as a profit add on. Mine was free since they accidentally installed the package after I told them not to. I also got free green valve stem caps :).

IIRC Sirius Guardian works the same, but is probably even more expensive to keep active. I'd assume, like Elo, you'll get an email to pay to continue your service on Theft Patrol after a few months.
Could be. If it's still there when my wife and I take our road trip in June, though, I'll be using the Geofence when we stop for the night.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Could be. If it's still there when my wife and I take our road trip in June, though, I'll be using the Geofence when we stop for the night.
Definitely useful, sorry, wasn't trying to knock it.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I grew up in an economically depressed rust belt shithole of a city, so I can say this: Stay the F out of shitty areas. I did my time, and don't ever want to go back. Likewise, I played in a somewhat active Punk band for years (Lots of dive bar shows in questionable areas), and know lots of friends who are traveling musicians and have to consider this, so their gear doesn't get stolen.
Based on that experience, and having actual hood rat friends: 9/10 times, it's about making it a less appealing target. They'll move on and find something easier to take. Effort vs. Reward, Thieves need to move fast and not attract attention.

Don't park and leave it unattended. Always lock it.
Park next to nicer, more expensive vehicles (Seriously).
Maintain a low profile (I know, Ironic coming from someone with a Big BRIGHT ORANGE Jeep)

You can get a TAZER and set up the PIN code to make it harder to move, especially with the feature that locks all 4 wheels via building brake booster pressure.

In the end, if they want it, they're going to figure out a way to take it. Doesn't mean you need to make it easy for them, or put effort into deterring them. I think you've got a good start to the list OP, and there are some good additions here.

BTW: Love reading your travel posts and living vicariously from my desk. You're living your best life for all of us.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I grew up in an economically depressed rust belt shithole of a city, so I can say this: Stay the F out of shitty areas. I did my time, and don't ever want to go back. Likewise, I played in a somewhat active Punk band for years (Lots of dive bar shows in questionable areas), and know lots of friends who are traveling musicians and have to consider this, so their gear doesn't get stolen.
Based on that experience, and having actual hood rat friends: 9/10 times, it's about making it a less appealing target. They'll move on and find something easier to take. Effort vs. Reward, Thieves need to move fast and not attract attention.
Reminds me of an experience we had on our cross county wheeling trip last Fall. We were bombing from Charlotte to Wyoming and decided to stop for a few hours of rest at probably 3 in the morning, and picked a $75 old motel, the Lake View Inn in Marion, IL.

We pull in, and it turns out to be the hub for the guys fishing the local lake. Must have been a million dollars in bass boats in the parking lot, and I'm confident there were more CCL holders than not. Never felt safer.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Just to throw some stuff out there.

Would 4LO increase the tire leverage on the transmission parking pawl, making it more likely to damage the internals than 4 hi without significant increase in difficulty?

From the 4WD/AWD tows I've seen (or 2wd backed in), they'll literally drag the truck out with the tires skidding. If it's in 2wd, they'll swap sides for the tow, in 4wd, they'll throw rollers under the other side.
Actually having it in 4 Lo reduces the forces going into the park pawl in this situation. When power is going in the normal direction that originates in the engine the low range in the transfer case multiplies the torque by the low range ratio as it goes to the axles and tires. When power is going in the opposite direction, so starting in the tires and through the transfer case the low range ratio does the opposite and reduces the torque seen by the park pawl.

In regards to having the vehicle in 4wd with the front tires cranked all the way, just keep in mind that since they are locked up the vehicle will just slide straight back. Yes, the fact the front tires are locked up makes it a little more of a pain but not sure having them straight or turned all the way would make that much difference. Now if you were in 2wd and the fronts tires can rotate it would cause the front end of the vehicle to swing over and possibly not be able to get it out of the spot without hitting the vehicle next to it.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
The friend of a friend caught a thief trying to steal his Jeep via the tow truck method one evening in the early 90s in WI. He acted like a passerby and the "tow truck driver" all friendly-like shrugged and said it was a bank repo. Given that my friend's friend didn't owe anything on it he knew this was a theft in process but played it cool until the timing was right.

Once the Jeep was all hooked up, the Jeep owner jumped into the tow truck and truck-jacked the unsuspecting thief. He drove it and his hooked-up Jeep to the local PD and filed a report. I don't know the particulars of how he ever talked his way through it without getting his brass balls busted but they did find and arrest the "tow truck driver" for grand theft that night.

This tactic would only work if you can stay awake all night, though.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Stay at decent hotels that valet your Jeep and have their own lot.

Sponsored

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I love my family and try to avoid shitty areas as possible as I can.
I love my jeep and try to avoid shitty areas as possible as I can.

Spending more money on hotel and parking garage (if possible and available) buys me a piece of mind and lowers the risks.

Even if they fail to tow the rig, it may get damaged.
Even if the tracking device may find the rig back, it'll be a hassle/trouble/frustration.

swedeviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2-door
I know it's not always an option, but I try to book hotels in more populated areas, higher quality locations, etc.

I try to also always park as close to the front door as possible, or under a street light, well-lit areas, etc. Make'em do it in the daylight if I can, so to speak.

Also try to park in a place that would be hard to get a tow truck into - curves, turns, etc.

At the end of the day, if they want to steal it, they're going to.
Parked in front of the door, locked up, very nice hotel with security and lights all over.. Didn't get stolen but broken in to along with about a dozen other vehicles so no matter what you do it doesn't make you invulnerable.. All you can hope is cross fingers .

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Boot a rear and front wheel. Can’t be towed frontwards or backwards.
Sponsored