Sponsored

Best way to smooth out Undercarriage Burrs and Scratches before treating with Rustoleum or similar?

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
I Drive me Jeep hard and Enjoy the Rocks.

Needless to say my undercarriage is taking a beating.

How do you spot treat undercarriage damage to Prevent Rust?
How do you remove the rust that has already show up?
How do you Smooth out the Burrs?
What do you use to prevent rust?
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to smooth out Undercarriage Burrs and Scratches before treating with Rustoleum or similar? 20200913_122901

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to smooth out Undercarriage Burrs and Scratches before treating with Rustoleum or similar? 20200913_122419

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to smooth out Undercarriage Burrs and Scratches before treating with Rustoleum or similar? 20200913_122613
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
DeWalt rubber backing pad w fiber sanding disc on 4.5" grinder. Flapper wheel will work, too, but more expensive in the long run.

Wire cup brush or wire wheel on a grinder will reach into most cracks.

Then for tighter areas I use 2" or 3" sanding pads and woven abrasive Rolocs on angle grinders.

I just use Rust-Oleum - it's readily available and works well even though their "new improved" tips are horrible. You can upgrade with tip adapters from Art Primo (well worth it).

Some people like Krylon but I can't understand how. Oh also you could just buy a quart or gallon of Rust-Oleum black and brush it on. The quarts and gallons aren't thinned like rattle cans must be to spray

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
I use a $11 Harbor Freight grinder and a 120 grit flap disk for rough spots and heavy rust removal. For light rust I spray over it with Rust Reformer with no pre-treatment.
For areas that are smooth I use a coat of rattle can primer followed by rattle can flat or satin black. For skid plates I use brush-on Rust-Oleum because it's a heavier coat and I don't care if it's smooth.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Oh also you could just buy a quart or gallon of Rust-Oleum black and brush it on.
Just finished doing this recently with mine. Prep is everything, use flappers, wheels, and discs. Ultimately, whatever you use needs to adhere and protect the underside, until you scrape it again off-roading. I highly recommend the Rustoleum in a can and brushing it on. It’s worth the time and looks a lot better than overspray all over the bottom of your Jeep.
Sponsored