Best way to handle ruts?

euler

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i, '22 Willys 2.0T
I was out on a trail while raining and there was quite a bit of rain. The path had significant ruts, up to ~1 ft deep. What is the best practice for traversing? I was trying to avoid them by straddling them. This worked out OK, but traction was an issue and at times I had to cross them.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You're either in the ruts or you're straddling them. There's really no other way.

Which way is better depends on the terrain. Sometimes you want to be in the ruts for lateral stability, sometimes they're too deep and you risk getting hung up on the center hump. Knowing which line is best to take comes with experience so do what you think is best for the situation. The more you do it the better you get at it.

When you have to cross them try to pick a spot where the rut walls are the least vertical. As I'm going down a rough trail I envision two lines ahead of me the width of my tire track and where I'm going to put my tires when I get there. Everything in between those two lines can be ignored until there is something large enough there that can't be ignored. Then you pick another line.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Learning exactly where are your tires on the terrain is your quest.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
This. You drive in ruts (esp water filled ones) you WILL eventually get stuck when you high center. Best policy for driving in ruts is to avoid them. If that fails, straddle ‘em. If That fails, proceed slowly so you can slowly back out when you eventually high center the front end.
Sponsored