First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
So I have been researching ways to carry some extra gas and it seems that there is no easy way on the JL. I can find lots of stuff for JK. Most things involve roof rack, new tire carrier, mounting stuff on back of spare (lose back up cam).

Ideas?
Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Morryde jerry can/Rotopax fender attachement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to carry extra gas? 1610290499560

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
Taco Bell Bean and Rice burrito?
Get enough fiber in your diet and you are on to something. I remember when fiber one bars first were introduced. I could have given an orchestra a run for their money.
Now if there was only technology to harness the fart for vehicle fuel.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I tried the rock slide engineering around the spare tire rotopax strap, but felt it was too heavy when full of gas. I ended up with lod rear bumper and tire carrier. I’m not sure of any easy way to carry it on the back without adding a ton of weight to the spare.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I do like the trailpax, I think that's the one that goes on the side windows, but not sure yet about the way it digs into the hard top. I get enough trail damage just from the trails alone, not liking the self inflicted kind.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I wanted the AEV fuel caddy and bumpers when I got my Jeep.

3 years of waiting later, I'm a bit bitter. So subscribed for other ideas as well.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Check out the Titan Trail Trekker fuel tank. Mounts on the rear between the tailgate and spare tire, and holds 12 gallons. Uses a super siphon to transfer the fuel into the Jeep. Compatible with most spare tire carriers too.

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the Titan Trail Trekker fuel tank. Mounts on the rear between the tailgate and spare tire, and holds 12 gallons. Uses a super siphon to transfer the fuel into the Jeep. Compatible with most spare tire carriers too.
That is 12 Gallons of liquid weight added to the tailgate. Considering the average weight of 6 lbs per gallon for common gas, that means that this 12 gallon would add up 72 lbs of weight to the tailgate...thats a lof of added weight especially if you put it up high like in their photo and thats not counting the spare which in the end would make up both to be approx 150+ lbs on the tailgate. personnaly, I like all my liquid weights to be as low as possible on my rig and that would be too much for my taste on a stock tailgate.

Its a neat product albeit expensive a bit, but I think is better suited to custom made tailaget assemblies or bumpers.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
That is 12 Gallons of liquid weight added to the tailgate. Considering the average weight of 6 lbs per gallon for common gas, that means that this 12 gallon would add up 72 lbs of weight to the tailgate...thats a lof of added weight especially if you put it up high like in their photo and thats not counting the spare which in the end would make up both to be approx 150+ lbs on the tailgate. personnaly, I like all my liquid weights to be as low as possible on my rig and that would be too much for my taste on a stock tailgate.

Its a neat product albeit expensive a bit, but I think is better suited to custom made tailaget assemblies or bumpers.
Yep, definitely carrying extra fuel is gonna add extra weight that has to go somewhere. Where.... that's up to the individual.

Not sure if he has beefed up his tailgate with an aftermarket brace or wants to add one... He could also just add 5 gallons instead of the full 12 to keep weight down. Personally, I don't like the look of Jerry cans or the plastic RotoPax containers hanging off my Jeep.

If it were me, I would go the Long Ranger route and an add the auxiliary tank underneath the JL. It's just expensive. But then again, so is a JL.

None of these options are cheap.

I also have a TJ and I went the larger fuel tank route with a Genrigh tank, went from 19 to 24 gallons. I heard they were working on a larger fuel tank solution for JL's but haven't heard any updates.

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Long Range America makes an auxiliary fuel tank that mounts in the open area under the jeep body. Once you're below a quarter tank, you press a button and a pump sends the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank over a few minutes. No idea on pricing, but saw a nice little video showcasing it on YT.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
You need to decide what is best for your Jeep. My friends and I go on a week long trip at least once a year. Carrying extra gas is mandatory. I would really like the Long Range America tank, but it is very expensive, and it looks to me like it hangs lower than the stock fuel tank. That doesn't work for me because I play on rocks, and my aftermarket fuel skid gets scraped up as it is.

Other options include mounting Rotopax behind the front tires, a roof rack, where the rear side windows go, or on the spare using straps. I prefer to mount them to my tire carrier. I went with LOD.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to carry extra gas? IMG_4499

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Long Range America makes an auxiliary fuel tank that mounts in the open area under the jeep body. Once you're below a quarter tank, you press a button and a pump sends the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank over a few minutes. No idea on pricing, but saw a nice little video showcasing it on YT.
$2,255 delivered + 8 to 10 hours to install. Did it myself.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to carry extra gas? 20210401_191004
Sponsored