Sponsored

Best way to “limit” dust with top and doors off?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Obviously it’s going to get dirty. But has anyone experimented with ways to keep dust down?

We spent 10 hours on the McGrew Trail Saturday (amazing by the way) and my Jeep is trashed similar to 3 days on the Rubicon.
118830B84E424F6797DE.jpg

My friend also had his doors off, but the full hardtop was on. His interior was MUCH cleaner. I definitely want the top off, but wondering it having the windshield down would change the wind swirl pattern? What about half doors?

Thanks!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
one trick i have learned is if you don’t have passengers in the back seat fold those seats down. Then i lay a blanket down in the back.

also close your vents if you are not using the A.C.

also around here most of the dust is on the dirt roads getting out to the trail and not the trail itself. Because the dirt is looser and we are driving faster on the road. The lead Jeep doesn’t get nearly as much dust in it because mostly it comes from getting kicked up by theJeep in front of you. So try to be first.

Things like seat covers and covers for the cup holders will help too. Basically cover things and then pull the covers out and wash them.

If you like to wheel naked then your Jeep is gonna get dirty. There’s no way around it

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
I do not have an answer to your question, however, I am inquiring if you just blow out the interior with a leaf blower or spray it out and let it dry.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Narrower tires or wider fenders. If you are in a group, don’t follow so close. Keep speeds down on easy trails. Use a leaf blower to dust it out when you’re done.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Following b/c I’m still scarred from last time I went top down windows down on an all day trail here in AZ :headbang: Soooooo muchhh dust. Took over 3 hours cleaning it up after.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I’m well aware of how to clean it after the fact, thanks though. My process is 85+ down the road, then blower, maybe even air compressor nozzle, then vacuum carpet, then wipe everything down multiple times. At least JLs don’t have rollbar padding and now I have leather seats

I was hoping some of y’all had experimented with half doors or windshield down???

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
to get to my house I have 5 miles of dirt road. The dust swirls at the back of the Jeep and then comes in from the rear. My SXS did this same thing once I put a windshield on it. The SXS has a windscreen on the back of the down roll bars and that stopped the dust swirl into the cab. The Jeep does the same if you cover the back portion with a screen. I have used a spyder shade and wrapped it around the rear roll bar area and that did the trick but you cant drive at highway speeds with that on. Basically dust sucks.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Finally a thread that's not about the Ford Bronco.

In before I see;
I heard the new Bronco doesn't get dusty inside like the old Wrangler. I gotta get me one of those...in 2 or 3 years. Never buy the first year anything...I love my Wrangler and I'm a Jeep guy through and through, but I already put down my deposit. That 12 inch screen really pushed me over the edge.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe our top physicists have proven the best thing to do to solve for this is to buy a cow since it is more aerodynamic and won’t get as dusty.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to “limit” dust with top and doors off? 1594701945858

Windshield up or down won’t make a difference. The only thing I have found to reduce dust accumulation is this combo: roof off, doors on, windows down. Speed and wind are obviously major factors. It certainly doesn’t eliminate dust (nothing will) but it definitely doesn’t take as long to clean up afterward either.

I don’t know about half-doors because Jeep won’t take my money to build me some yet.

Last edited:

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Air compressor. Best advice for dust in nooks & crannies in this video - FF to 6:00 min mark.

Sponsored