Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone,

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. This thread isn't about a problem as much as it is about trying to on-board the local dealer in case we have problems down the road. (I looked a little for other threads with this same general question; but, I didn't find anything.)

The short version of this story is that we are lifting the 2021 JLUR 3-1/2" (complete Metal Cloak Game Changer), increasing the tire size to 37" MT/Rs with new wheels, replacing both drive shafts and some other exterior components. We have the 3.0 diesel so my plan is not to regear; but, I'll wait to do some crawling before making that an absolute statement.

I've also purchased a Tazer Mini to use for various things, including changing the tire size setting.

My question is about how to roll up to the dealer for both normal (e.g. oil changes) and any warranty type service.

1. I had the service manager at a dealer where we considered ordering our Jeep tell me that we should keep the stock tires and wheels and install them before doing any trips to the dealer. I kind of see the point; but, it would almost insult the dealer's intelligence to come in with stock tires/wheels on a 3-1/2" lift.

2. We had a friend suggest that we have the dealer set the new tire size in the onboard computer. Is there any reason why we should do that instead of using the Mini?

I've heard the horror stories about (maybe just a few) dealers refusing to honor warranty work if a lift other than the Jeep 2" lift is installed. I decided to have it installed by a shop with ASE mechanics and experience in Metal Cloak lift installations just to make sure those points don't become part of any problem discussion.

I'm just looking for any honest evaluation of any warranty work should there ever be a problem. I have no problem owning anything that directly related to the modifications. I just don't want to be penalized for unrelated work.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
for them to not fulfill any warranty claims, they have to prove that the lift/tires didn't cause the problem. Ie. if your on board nav stops working (me on my grand cherokee) they can't really blame the fact that you have a 3.5in lift....

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. This thread isn't about a problem as much as it is about trying to on-board the local dealer in case we have problems down the road. (I looked a little for other threads with this same general question; but, I didn't find anything.)

The short version of this story is that we are lifting the 2021 JLUR 3-1/2" (complete Metal Cloak Game Changer), increasing the tire size to 37" MT/Rs with new wheels, replacing both drive shafts and some other exterior components. We have the 3.0 diesel so my plan is not to regear; but, I'll wait to do some crawling before making that an absolute statement.

I've also purchased a Tazer Mini to use for various things, including changing the tire size setting.

My question is about how to roll up to the dealer for both normal (e.g. oil changes) and any warranty type service.

1. I had the service manager at a dealer where we considered ordering our Jeep tell me that we should keep the stock tires and wheels and install them before doing any trips to the dealer. I kind of see the point; but, it would almost insult the dealer's intelligence to come in with stock tires/wheels on a 3-1/2" lift.

2. We had a friend suggest that we have the dealer set the new tire size in the onboard computer. Is there any reason why we should do that instead of using the Mini?

I've heard the horror stories about (maybe just a few) dealers refusing to honor warranty work if a lift other than the Jeep 2" lift is installed. I decided to have it installed by a shop with ASE mechanics and experience in Metal Cloak lift installations just to make sure those points don't become part of any problem discussion.

I'm just looking for any honest evaluation of any warranty work should there ever be a problem. I have no problem owning anything that directly related to the modifications. I just don't want to be penalized for unrelated work.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff
It all depends on the dealer/service department and their outlook on Wrangler modifications.

In my city, there's A LOT of Jeep Wranglers and at least half of them (or so it seems) are modified to some degree. There is one Jeep dealer and I've never had an issue with warranty work on any of my lifted/modified Wranglers. Although, the only warranty work I've ever needed was a rear main seal and new upper catalytic converters on my TJ and the steering TSB on my 18 JLUR.

When I had the steering TSB done, I talked it over with the service manager and tech first. I outlined all of my mods (lift, aftermarket tie rod, drag link, track bar brace, etc.) which could affect the warranty work. They didn't have a problem with any of it, only stated they may have to charge me for some labor due to having to R&R non-stock parts. What I did was print out all of the manufacturer instructions for those parts and left them on the seat (also included $40 cash tip). When I picked it up, the tech spoke to me personally, thanking me for the instructions and bonus I left him. They also didn't charge me extra labor.

When I had the upper cats replaced on my TJ, they did charge me 1 hour of labor since they had to R&R an aftermarket belly skid system.

I try to always use the same service advisor and/or tech whenever I go there, be it for a free Wave oil change, warranty, etc. I've done this for years and has helped foster a very good relationship.

On this forum, I've seen other owners being turned down warranty work due to having modifications. Maybe it's due to geographical location.......some areas don't see many modified Jeeps vs. out West where they're everywhere. Most of the techs at my Jeep dealer drive modified Jeeps and I've wheeled with a few of them.

I'll echo what @rts4714 said, the modifications have to be the cause of the failed part(s) for warranty work to be denied (see the Magnusson Moss Act). That law doesn't keep some service departments from initially refusing to do warranty work though.

For setting tire size, use the Tazer. If you need to have any software updated at the dealer, just unmarry and remove the Tazer.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
for them to not fulfill any warranty claims, they have to prove that the lift/tires didn't cause the problem. Ie. if your on board nav stops working (me on my grand cherokee) they can't really blame the fact that you have a 3.5in lift....
That works on paper. That doesn't work in practice. A dealer can and will give the OP the run around for every single aftermarket part on his vehicle.

OP, the only way you can ensure the dealer wont fuck you is to ask if they will install it for you, and agree ON PAPER that it doesn't void your warranty. Otherwise you are literally gambling. Dealer service departments are absolute low lifes.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

One of the local dealerships out here has a customs shop attached. It's not just a "branded" customs shop - the dealership is a bit more "out in the country" so it's an unaffiliated offroad shop that worked out a way to be "attached" but separate. I'm sure there's some rev share or something, but they're a legit shop.

I would surmise that getting warranty work done on a modded Jeep there would be significantly easier than at one of the downtown dealerships.

Any chance you could expand your search perimeter a bit and find something similar in your area? Otherwise, I would find your local Jeep Club chapter and see if anyone in there can recommend a local dealership service person. My local club has 2-3 that they recommend (DFW is a big place), especially for folks with modded Jeeps.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
If you want to be assured the warranty is in effect, take the lift and tires off when you take it in. This has been gone over a million times (well maybe not a million, but a BUNCH). Bottom line is sure, if the window motor or AC Compressor fails, a lift and bigger tires will not cause an issue. BUT, and this is the caveat, you break a diff, t case, transmission or other powertrain related item they can void your warranty. Plain fact. Black and white. Every dealer is an independent and said dealer is paid for warranty work from FCA. FCA has strict guidelines as do other manufactures regarding payment for warranty work. If a vehicle has been modified it can be deemed void of warranty. Sure the dealer can try and get it covered by not disclosing said modification. And many dealers are able to do warranty work. That is why having a good relationship is paramount. But if said vehicle has been in another dealer and it is in the "system" as being modified it will NOT be paid for by FCA. And absolutely the dealer can do the warranty work for you, but they will not be paid for it. An we all know how often that will happen.

And regarding the MM act. It is up to YOU, the consumer to prove that said failure was not caused by the modification. The dealer says the larger tire, or increased driveshaft angle or other mods caused it. That is all they have to say. The ball is in your court then. Not many have deep enough pockets to play that game. Plus the time involved is nuts.

Sam

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can only tell you what I do.

1 - Don't go too crazy or exotic on mods during warranty. Bring Jeep to dealership looking clean and well cared for. (i.e. if something broke when you were off-road in mud, wash it first)

2 - Build a relationship with dealer by bringing Jeep for the free oil changes, etc, so I'm in the system.

3 - If I have a warranty problem, I'm upfront and tell them: "if you need to remove/reinstall any aftermarket parts to complete the repair, I'm willing to pay the shop rate for it. If you can't remove/reinstall, just let me know and I'll do it". That alone tells them that you are a reasonable person and take their time into account and not a lunatic that will scream to have everything done for free.

4 - Don't be unreasonable, if you don't get along or don't like a dealer, don't argue - go to another one.

Has always worked for me on Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Jaguar, other dealers. In fact except for one, was never even charged to remove/reinstall the non-OEM parts. Just the gesture was enough.
Sponsored