Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

I've had the Teraflex RT3 long arm suspension with Falcon 3.3 for about two years now. Since installation the track bar has had some 'play' in it that makes a slight clunking noise. I've read this is not an isolated case and that others have experienced the same thing.

I'm looking to replace it and while doing the work having other components upgraded. I'm looking at the Street Smarts Yeti product line currently, but there are a ton of options out there.

What's the best of the best? I suspect given the relatively simple design nature, many perform near identically or does a company have a 'secret sauce' design that truly sets them apart?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Rock krawlers newst track bar, i believe its 1” heim on axle end. As for steering rpm or steersmarts

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Rock krawlers newst track bar, i believe its 1” heim on axle end. As for steering rpm or steersmarts
RPM does track bars now as well and look pretty good - they use Johnny joints.

Also the Apex Chassis steering stuff I just installed was really nice. I believe Apex makes the TRE's that RPM uses.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
RPM does track bars now as well and look pretty good - they use Johnny joints.

Also the Apex Chassis steering stuff I just installed was really nice. I believe Apex makes the TRE's that RPM uses.
Did you install the Apex Chassis tie rod? How do you like it? I looked into their tie rod after seeing your post and like the bracket they use for the steering stabilizer mounted in the stock location.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
This is my first Jeep, and i hated my sloppy steering. My dealer refused to do my Gearbox TSB so i was looking for something to help stiffen things up till i could do it myself. I went with Steersmarts. Front and rear track bars, tie rod, drag link without the attenuator, sector shaft and SS. Everything is clearly written on install and easy to assemblE. Andrew over there is super helpful and quick to respond.

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Thanks all for the recommendations. Follow up question. I see options for steel vs aluminum. I assume this is the usual tradeoffs where AL is more expensive, lighter, and corrosion resistant (live in the salt belt) but steel is stronger?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all for the recommendations. Follow up question. I see options for steel vs aluminum. I assume this is the usual tradeoffs where AL is more expensive, lighter, and corrosion resistant (live in the salt belt) but steel is stronger?
I can only speak of Steersmarts and RPM. The former is constructed of 1/4" wall thickness 4130 chromoly steel tubing with a 1-5/8" outer diameter. They are rated for 1-1.5 ton. The latter is constructed of 2" solid 7075-T6 aluminum which is rated for 2.5 ton.

I didn't officially weigh them both, but they felt very similar in weight as I handled them. If anything, the RPM's may be slightly heavier.

The main benefit of the aluminum versions is their "memory". If run aground, they will return to their original straightness vs steel which would stay bent in the same situation. Weather resistance and being rated for vehicles and loads that far surpass the weight of our Jeeps plus their full load capacity, are added pluses. Since our Jeeps are lighter and don't carry/tow much weight, that higher rating means we could do some serious rock bouncing and not have to worry about damage to steering linkages. The same goes for the SteerSmarts, just with a lower ceiling. 2.5 vs 1-1.5 ton.

Both SteerSmarts and RPM are my favorite high quality options. Full disclosure: I recently beefed up my front axle, which included having to separate the drag link from the Pittman arm. I knew the pickle fork would probably tear the grease boot and would need a new one. I intended on ordering a new one, but that snowballed into a new set of linkages. The SteerSmarts are already a bit of overkill, proved by Litebrites Step Child. The excuse that I used on myself for going with even further overkill, is the northeast being a very wet and rocky environment. I figured it's inevitable that I'd be slipping off of rocks and hitting the tie rod, so I wouldn't have to worry about bent linkages.

Sponsored

2019 JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you play on the rocks you WILL bent the SteerSmarts tie rod end. I have bent two of them. The two I bent was where the threads transition into the casting.

OP
OP
Willing&Able

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Thoughts on Apex Chassis? I like the thought that I can get all components from one source - track bar, tie rod, drag link, and ball joints. Looks like its available in aluminum as well.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Steersmarts and RPM Performance. I'll 2nd that recommendation.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Track Bar / Draglink / Tie Rod? 20211013_132423
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Track Bar / Draglink / Tie Rod? 20211013_132423
Don't know when you will see this, but I noticed you didn't drill the second hole into your steersmarts relocation bracket. I have the same bracket and have yet to drill the hole. I was wondering if it's totally necessary since I didn't want to drill into my Jeep if possible.

I'm also quite certain I'm overkilling with the stuff I put on

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know when you will see this, but I noticed you didn't drill the second hole into your steersmarts relocation bracket. I have the same bracket and have yet to drill the hole. I was wondering if it's totally necessary since I didn't want to drill into my Jeep if possible.

I'm also quite certain I'm overkilling with the stuff I put on
I've had zero issues with not adding that extra bolt. It's been on there for over 2 years. Funny thing is that several months back when I had the drill out for something else, I drilled that extra hole but the bolt is still in a misc box in the cargo area. I originally felt the same, as far as doing non reversible things to Baby. Chopping fenders and other things finally broke me of that.

I'll never hesitate to choose overkill over question marks in the back of my mind. Every time, without hesitation. Overkill keeps away the after the fact wishing.
Sponsored