Best Tire Carriers regardless of price?

Amramir

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I bought a Rough Country bumper an off the door tire carrier. From day 1 it has rattled like #$#@. If cost was of no concern, what are the best tire carriers out there?
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have the body armor set up. its a plain and simple set up. no rattles.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Rough Country bumper an off the door tire carrier

Just curious but did Rough Country have any suggestions or thoughts on why it rattled so much?

Is this what you are talking about

OP
OP
Amramir

Amramir

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just curious but did Rough Country have any suggestions or thoughts on why it rattled so much?

Is this what you are talking about
Yes, there is a rubber bumper that is supposed to sit securely on the door plate,, There is a 1/2 inch gap that allows it to rattle..

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, there is a rubber bumper that is supposed to sit securely on the door plate,, There is a 1/2 inch gap that allows it to rattle..

By design or is it a defective part? Would be interesting if Rough Country knows and give a BS excuse. Trying to be less negative these days so maybe they would want to know and will send a fix for you or at least a gift card

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LoD is awesome as well but less extras on the RockHard for example the integrated License plate, hi-lift mount, etc. Either is a solid choice

Desert Raptor

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I'm happy with my Motobilt carrier, I have friends with the Maximus, Rusty's and the RR/TF combo above.

Seems like they all kinda suck in their own ways.

Motobilt (Mine, I've had it for almost 3 years, 34,000 mi, wheeling/overlanding every 3 or 4 weeks):
Pros: sits very flush to the tailgate, no rattles ever, looks good, smooth operation. I thought it was pretty easy to install, I've never needed to make any adjustments.
Cons: No "stays" (at least when I bought mine a long time ago), if I'm on the wrong hill my tailgate wont stay open. You have to get it powder coated. I think the license plate/camera/3rd brake light solution is eh.

Maximus (3ish months old):
Pros: I personally like the idea of the tire hinge and tailgate hinge being separate. Lots of accessories. I think it looks cool. It seems really sturdy, he has no rattles
Cons: Buddy said it was an absolute beast of an install. Its super finicky, and requires really precise adjustment. The "stay" (sorry I dunno what to call this) notch clicks really loud when he opens it too far, like there is something wrong, apparently you have to make sure its PERFECTLY adjusted. He did some metal shaving which helped a bit but it still does it. Tire sits pretty far off the tailgate. The 3rd brake light looks goofy w his 34s

He kinda regrets his purchase

Rusty's (3ish months old):
Pros: Looks nice, seems sturdy, comes powdercoated. "Stay" works, can hold the tailgate in position
Cons: You have to drill into your tailgate. A lot of people don't do it, but my brother started to get a rattle that was alleviated when he added those bolts. He has a pretty hard time getting it adjusted just right.

I don't think he has too much buyers remorse but I've fairly certain he'd go a different route if he had the opportunity.

Rugged Ridge + Teraflex (Just installed):
Pros: Simple, easy to install, works. The Teraflex bits are awesome, I think they have by far the most elegant solution for the 3rd brake light/camera. I think this ended up being the cheapest route of the 4. No rattles.
Cons: If I were to take a guess, I'd say its probably the weakest of the 4, although, I doubt anyone would start to hit its limitations until it got to 40s and a bunch of tailgate accessories.

My sister in-law seems to really like it, I think my brother probably wishes he went this route.

Me, if I were to do it all over again I'd do one of the 3:
1) Stick w Motobilt. I think its a really nice tire carrier, I'm happy with it. Id probably go this route since it matches my bumpers but even if it didn't I'd consider it top 3

2) Buy once cry once and wait for the complete Teraflex kit to finally be available. Its super expensive, but I'd feel pretty confident that TF built the most thought-out solution as they, in my opinion, usually do. Tire carriers suck, just be done with it and never think about it again.

3) Do the Rugged Ridge + Teraflex combo. You get a lot of the benefits of the TF carrier, and if one day you decide to upgrade to the TF hinges (if its even an upgrade), its cheap enough that it wouldn't be too devastating. Not to say that I've heard anything negative about the Rugged Ridge hinge yet either. Seems like a good solution to me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been pleased as punch with the Cavfab Elite hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier. It comes in bare steel, so it's up to the consumer to coat it, but my chosen shop did an amazing job. I also got a rear bumper from Cavfab, so had both parts powder coated in the same fine textured black as the mopar front steel bumper. I had the logo plates done in a gloss red that matches the tow hooks.

The carrier is very strong. With the 38x13.5 spare mounted and the gate swung open, I hung my full 180lb body on the end of the gate and couldn't get any flex out of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 20201206_161213
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 20201218_153654
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 20201223_135529

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been pleased as punch with the Cavfab Elite hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier. It comes in bare steel, so it's up to the consumer to coat it, but my chosen shop did an amazing job. I also got a rear bumper from Cavfab, so had both parts powder coated in the same fine textured black as the mopar front steel bumper. I had the logo plates done in a gloss red that matches the tow hooks.

The carrier is very strong. With the 38x13.5 spare mounted and the gate swung open, I hung my full 180lb body on the end of the gate and couldn't get any flex out of it.

That thing looks super beefy and strong. If lowered all the way down does it interfere with sensors? Definitely room to go bigger if needed. :like:
Sponsored