Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That thing looks super beefy and strong. If lowered all the way down does it interfere with sensors? Definitely room to go bigger if needed. :like:
Honestly, I never tried it any lower because my goal with both the carrier and bumper was to maximize departure angle. The height position shown in the 2nd pic is how I finally installed it. I could easily go to a 42" tire without contacting this bumper.

From what I've found, the trick with the rear bumper sensors is to keep the spare as close to the tailgate as possible and minimize the amount of spare bordering the camera image. The sensors and camera work together. You've no doubt read about a number of members who were able to fix false backup alerts by rotating the valve stem up top. That's because they were skating that fine line of too much tire border in the camera image.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, good news is his rear tub is now armor plated from the rear!
I still have to trim about 2" of pinch seam to fully clear the rear tires. While at it, I may take a bit off of the lowest section in between the wheelwell and bumper. And unless someone else comes out with a 1 piece rear facia armor plate, I may have to go with Rusty’s 2 piece.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I never tried it any lower because my goal with both the carrier and bumper was to maximize departure angle. The height position shown in the 2nd pic is how I finally installed it. I could easily go to a 42" tire without contacting this bumper.

From what I've found, the trick with the rear bumper sensors is to keep the spare as close to the tailgate as possible and minimize the amount of spare bordering the camera image. The sensors and camera work together. You've no doubt read about a number of members who were able to fix false backup alerts by rotating the valve stem up top. That's because they were skating that fine line of too much tire border in the camera image.
Didn’t think about departure angle. I totally get your reasoning now. Thanks for explaining. I do remember now sensor discussions.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@Headbarcode - I have had good luck with the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement and Tire relocation, with the change to 37's and although the weight is only slightly more for the tire/wheel than the 35's they replaced (2.8 pounds heavier), I am shopping for a new tire carrier.

Overall, I think the CAV will get the nod, but I was curious how the hinges are lubricated. I am assuming that you replace the bolts with "grease zerk" bolts and do it that way, but was wondering what you are doing for that.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Maximus-3 is rock solid. A second person would really help for the install, but it is only 1 step and they just have to hold it while you thread the new hinges.
My catch also made god awful racket the first time. I loosened it on the door, opened/closed a few times, and re-tightened. That got rid of the noise, no shaving needed.
It gets comments all the time, and frees you up to do whatever bumper you want since it mounts to the tub.
It is off center, some people don’t like that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? AA1EF4A7-C460-4FE5-8914-9B9926550A71
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 910F4BB9-5C49-4639-8610-BA7C859AF224
Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 842B0EE5-625F-449A-896C-C9CB09A8997C

Last pick is partial install.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Headbarcode - I have had good luck with the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement and Tire relocation, with the change to 37's and although the weight is only slightly more for the tire/wheel than the 35's they replaced (2.8 pounds heavier), I am shopping for a new tire carrier.

Overall, I think the CAV will get the nod, but I was curious how the hinges are lubricated. I am assuming that you replace the bolts with "grease zerk" bolts and do it that way, but was wondering what you are doing for that.
The hinge plates have heavy-walled oiled bronze bushings pressed into them. It's a very high quality material that self lubricates, while also work hardening with use. These characteristics work in tangent to drastically reduce wear to both the bushing and the hinge bolt. It's use was actually 1 of the main reasons that led me to choosing it over other similar options.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The hinge plates have heavy-walled oiled bronze bushings pressed into them. It's a very high quality material that self lubricates, while also work hardening with use. These characteristics work in tangent to drastically reduce wear to both the bushing and the hinge bolt. It's use was actually 1 of the main reasons that led me to choosing it over other similar options.
Thanks! I am leaning really hard towards the Cav.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I am leaning really hard towards the Cav.
Always glad to help!

In this application, oiled bronze bushings are far better than a greased joint. Greased tailgate hinges would be a magnet for all the dirt and grit that accumulates on the rear of a vehicle, essentially turning the lubricant into an abrasive paste. Plus, it runs in hot weather and can make a mess. Grease is more at home in a higher speed, heavy cycle rate situation like wheel bearings, ball joint, and u-joint needle bearing caps.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I went with the cavfab carrier as well after seeing headbarcodes thoughts on it. I like that it replaces the factory hinges, most of those that do not are still using the tailgate as a stressed member to hold the spare to the vehicle, which is the whole point of upgrading the stock one.

This pretty much narrowed my choices down to a few, and when comparing them the cavfab seemed to me to have the best design, super stout, and good hinge bushings that won’t wear out in a year like poly/urethane will

10/10 would buy again

08A7FC8B-42D8-45DF-B474-FBB8FED7F9B6.jpeg

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I went with the cavfab carrier as well after seeing headbarcodes thoughts on it. I like that it replaces the factory hinges, most of those that do not are still using the tailgate as a stressed member to hold the spare to the vehicle, which is the whole point of upgrading the stock one.

This pretty much narrowed my choices down to a few, and when comparing them the cavfab seemed to me to have the best design, super stout, and good hinge bushings that won’t wear out in a year like poly/urethane will

10/10 would buy again

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 08A7FC8B-42D8-45DF-B474-FBB8FED7F9B6
Is there any place behind the tire to center a CB mount?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I bought a Rusty’s. Still waiting for jeep to get here so I havent installed it yet and have no first hand experience with it.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I had the Mopar HD hinge /mount. My tailgate kept drooping despite multiple trips to service dept. I switched AEV bumper but I wish it had the additional functionality of the LOD to add components.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Always glad to help!

In this application, oiled bronze bushings are far better than a greased joint. Greased tailgate hinges would be a magnet for all the dirt and grit that accumulates on the rear of a vehicle, essentially turning the lubricant into an abrasive paste. Plus, it runs in hot weather and can make a mess. Grease is more at home in a higher speed, heavy cycle rate situation like wheel bearings, ball joint, and u-joint needle bearing caps.
So mine is in fabrication mode and should be delivered within the next week or so. A couple of other questions:

1. What did you do for the brake light?
2. What did you do for the license plate light? My bumper is OEM steel and I could leave the license plate where it is, but then I would have this large empty space (not sure what to do with it).

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
So mine is in fabrication mode and should be delivered within the next week or so. A couple of other questions:

1. What did you do for the brake light?
2. What did you do for the license plate light? My bumper is OEM steel and I could leave the license plate where it is, but then I would have this large empty space (not sure what to do with it).
See @Upsidwn above, no additional plate relo like Mikes. For the third brake light you could use something like mopar relo kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tire Carriers regardless of price? 9255C87B-AE94-49D8-B3DD-55B5F300C3B3
Sponsored