Best tire carrier when you have the Mopar HD Hinge option

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
Have a new Recon on order, which includes the HD tailgate hinge bracket. Also includes the steel bumper group - which isn't ideal for running 35's and up.

I am aware of the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier of course. And, it does work with the Mopar hinge option.

Outside of the Teraflex alpha, are there any other carriers or relocation brackets that work well with the Mopar Hinge bracket? What else should I be looking at?
Sponsored

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
I have the Rough Country relocation bracket with the Mopar reinforcement and its working great with a 37" tire. I had the rough country at first and still had a little rattle so I added the Mopar reinforcement

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Honestly, outside of the Teraflex Alpha HD (which I have, along with the MOPAR reinforcement), there's not much to distinguish one relocation bracket from another. Basically all are manufactured the same, save for how high or how far our each one carries the wheel. I was in your shoes before and asked a ton of questions about this as well. However, at the end of the day I still went with the Alpha HD. Nothing else is going to allow you to fine tune your placement given the myriad of tire and wheel sizes out there - not to mention offsets. I just wanted to bring my heavy ass wheel and tire combo as close to the tailgate as possible to diminish leverage on the tailgate. I was not confident I could do that without a different solution and still retain the MOPAR bit thereby saving me money - not to say the Alpha HD is cheap.

So there, that was unhelpful! You asked for another alternative to the Alpha HD and I failed miserably. Sorry homie! :)

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
Honestly, outside of the Teraflex Alpha HD (which I have, along with the MOPAR reinforcement), there's not much to distinguish one relocation bracket from another. Basically all are manufactured the same, save for how high or how far our each one carries the wheel. I was in your shoes before and asked a ton of questions about this as well. However, at the end of the day I still went with the Alpha HD. Nothing else is going to allow you to fine tune your placement given the myriad of tire and wheel sizes out there - not to mention offsets. I just wanted to bring my heavy ass wheel and tire combo as close to the tailgate as possible to diminish leverage on the tailgate. I was not confident I could do that without a different solution and still retain the MOPAR bit thereby saving me money - not to say the Alpha HD is cheap.

So there, that was unhelpful! You asked for another alternative to the Alpha HD and I failed miserably. Sorry homie! :)

I realize the alpha is probably the best option. I just feel it might be more than I need.

Thank you for the feedback. Hope there is more.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase

Farrish1237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB JLU
I had the Rough Country Tire Relocation Bracket with the Mopar HD hinge bracket (with 35) and it mounted the tire too high and off the tailgate for me, so I replaced it with LODs tire relocation bracket. The LOD bracket mounts the tire lower and I like the tire bump stops that come with it. Only drawback it that it occasionally sets off the back up sensors. Turned that off....problem solved.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have the Teraflex Alpha with the Mopar reinforcement. It’s now sagging and the tailgate scrapes my JCR bumper as I close it if I don’t lift it as I close.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Teraflex Alpha with the Mopar reinforcement. It’s now sagging and the tailgate scrapes my JCR bumper as I close it if I don’t lift it as I close.
Yeah, unfortunately the mopar tailgate reinforcement only strengthens the actual panel, while just adding additional weight to the hinges. Only remedy is replacing it with a hinged tailgate reinforcement. I'm also an owner and fan of the Alpha HD, and patiently waiting for Teraflex to release their hinged reinforcement.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Results may vary. I have a very heavy 37x1350R20 wheels and tire combo w Alpha HD and MOPAR reinforcement. I've had zero noticeable sag or squeaks.

My wife and kids all know that it barely takes any swing to close (due to heavy momentum, so we're all very careful as not to slam, but use only as-needed force. I don't want to cause any unnecessary damage to the latch mechanisms.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
My wife and kids all know that it barely takes any swing to close (due to heavy momentum, so we're all very careful as not to slam, but use only as-needed force. I don't want to cause any unnecessary damage to the latch mechanisms.
Same for me, and in fact EVERY single time I close it, I grab the underside of the tire and lift up as I close it with just enough force for it to latch.

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
Have a new Recon on order, which includes the HD tailgate hinge bracket. Also includes the steel bumper group - which isn't ideal for running 35's and up.

I am aware of the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier of course. And, it does work with the Mopar hinge option.

Outside of the Teraflex alpha, are there any other carriers or relocation brackets that work well with the Mopar Hinge bracket? What else should I be looking at?
@RubiCoug

I have a 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon and went thru the same dilemma. The Go Rhino 372000T Rockline Spare Tire Relocation Kit was the least expensive alternative I could find. It cost me $144 at Quadratec. It lets me mount a 37" tire and uses the stock 3rd brake light. The stock camara mount works great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tire carrier when you have the Mopar HD Hinge option 20200809_132349

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tire carrier when you have the Mopar HD Hinge option 20200811_093605

Screenshot_20200830-095847_Chrome.jpg

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RubiCoug

I have a 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon and went thru the same dilemma. The Go Rhino 372000T Rockline Spare Tire Relocation Kit was the least expensive alternative I could find. It cost me $144 at Quadratec. It lets me mount a 37" tire and uses the stock 3rd brake light. The stock camara mount works great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tire carrier when you have the Mopar HD Hinge option Screenshot_20200830-095847_Chrome

Jeep Wrangler JL Best tire carrier when you have the Mopar HD Hinge option Screenshot_20200830-095847_Chrome

Problem with that solution is it places undue force on the components by spacing the tire so far from the tailgate. All that weight is levered way out there and could eventually cause issues.

Beating a dead horse here and OP stated he was specifically looking for alternatives other than the Alpha HD, but I still say cry once.

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
Problem with that solution is it places undue force on the components by spacing the tire so far from the tailgate. All that weight is levered way out there and could eventually cause issues.

Beating a dead horse here and OP stated he was specifically looking for alternatives other than the Alpha HD, but I still say cry once.
@Fire Burns
I agree with you 100%. However, I was in a spot. I just dumped a huge amount of $$$ on the ICON Stage 8 full suspension lift and I couldn't afford the new LOD rear bumper and LOD tire carrier that I want to (and will eventually) get. So, since I already had the heavy duty reinforced tailgate hinge (it is included with the Recon package), I figured I could get away with the Go Rhino Spare Tire Relocation Bracket for awhile. It's sturdy and I havent heard or felt any clunking around when I've been out on the trails.

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Has anybody looked at the Metal Cloak? Rated for 150lbs and fully adjustable like the Alpha HD. $419 with back up camera mount included. Option for 3rd brake light and license plate relocation for $154.

The downside of the Teraflex to me is that it doesn't have an option for the license plate relocation so it makes it more difficult to purchase a rear bumper like the Ace Pro which also doesn't have an accommodation for the license plate
Sponsored