Best time to sell

s1000pre

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara UL
I have a 2018 wrangler JLU Sahara with only 14k miles. I’m heading out of town for six months in December and plan on sellling my wrangler prior to leaving. Is there a better time to sell between now and then? Is it worth selling directly to a dealer?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

try vroom carmax and the other online place. people have been geting over blue book

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Rumor has it that used prices are gonna jump again soon.

Powers that be and all that. Do what you will.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The holiday season is always tough, as people’s priorities change away from car purchases.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The best time to sell is at 1:42 PM.

That’s when dealer staff finished their bag of chips and is ready for a nap.

OP
OP

s1000pre

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara UL
My Jeep still has 9 months of factory warranty left on it. I have checked with dealers and carmax, they are in the 42k range. kBB shows a 43k trade & 45k retail, NADA is 47k trade & 50k retail. …52k certified, whatever that is. If I sell it privately, am I realistically going to see KBB, NADA or something in between? That’s a 5k discrepancy.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The best time to sell is when you can get the most money for it.

If you don't want the hassle, check carmax, carvana, and vroom. All can be done online and all will provide you with an instant cash quote.

I sold my truck to Carvana earlier this summer and it was seamless. 3 days from quote to cash, and the funds were in my checking account before the guy even had it loaded up on his truck. Easy peasy.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
My Jeep still has 9 months of factory warranty left on it. I have checked with dealers and carmax, they are in the 42k range. kBB shows a 43k trade & 45k retail, NADA is 47k trade & 50k retail. …52k certified, whatever that is. If I sell it privately, am I realistically going to see KBB, NADA or something in between? That’s a 5k discrepancy.
I used Carvana to sell my truck.. I was very happy with the price. They show up with a flatbed at a date / time you pick, and take the vehicle and leave. no haggling, no nit picking .. I would highly recommend them.

I've tried KBB instant offer through a dealer, and every time ( tried 3 times) they play games, saying your tires are bald, front end has been painted (false) to try and take another $1,000 or so off.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@s1000pre
I was shooting the breeze with a salesman this morning, while my JLU was having the annual State inspections done. As we stood next to a small row of 5 new Wranglers, he said all of them were sold before the truck ever arrived at the dealership.

It seems that the buyers, not wanting to wait months for a custom build, are calling to ask what's incoming. If there's a vehicle in the Dealer Order Book that matches their preferences closely enough, they provide a CC # for a $500 deposit and it's done.

The effects of the stimulus payments, money saved by working from home, etc. on discretionary income are still being felt. That, and Vroom, for example, remains eager to build market presence, so they're making very generous offers for used vehicles (in May, they offered me $5K above sticker for my Jeep). We are in a seller's market, and an aggressive one at that.

Sell now or forever hold your fob. ;)
Sponsored