Sponsored

Best time to sell my TJU Rubi to get a JLU?

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Need some advice! I love my 2005 TJU Rubicon but I'll definitely be getting a JLU. The back bench of the TJ doesn't support 2 child seats. After adding 2 young kids that's a major problem. The JLU looks great, has 4 doors, and has more family friendly features I now apparently need as well.

1st - when is a good time in the next 6 months to sell my TJ? Doubt there is high demand for a used Jeep this time of year? Should I wait until march/april? Right now I use my WRX as my daily driver. My TJ is great on snow days and when I need to carry big things around but otherwise sits parked. I'm concerned the JL reviews are so good it will drive down the demand & value of of the TJ's if I wait until JLU's are on the lots.

2nd - should I sell privately or go for trade-in? Seems like my TJU Rubi is more rare since it was only a 2 year production run until the JK came out. But I doubt dealers will recognize that value? Prices online range from $13k all the way up to $23k. I've only got 60k original miles and she's in good shape. A JLU Rubi is going to be a stretch on the wallet but the better sell price I get the easier that pain will be.

Thoughts!?
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Sell it yourself. You'll take a huge hit to trade it.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I would think that going into winter would be the ideal time to sell your Jeep. The price of the JL will help support your TJ's price. Everyone knows that a 4.0 with 60k miles on it is barely broken in.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
It depends on how vehicle sales are taxed (or not) in one's locale. Where I live there is a sales tax calculated on the NET of the transaction. So whatever trade-in value is given is deducted from that transaction amount and lowers the tax. I've seen people dick around and crow about getting a few hundred more at CarMax than their dealer offered but not realize that their net was actually higher once they factored in the higher tax rate. Now if it's a matter of thousands in difference between private sale and trade-in then that private sale makes sense. It's just another case of the standard IBM answer to all IT questions . . . "It depends".

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm agree that I likely won't get top dollar in a typical dealer trade-in situation. I doubt they would look much past the mileage & and its a wrangler. They probably wouldn't recognize that it is more sought after by certain crowds looking for a trail rig build. This may explain the wide spread of value I've seen when trying to do price research online.

I have talked to a local Jeep specialized dealer that only buys/sells Jeeps. They were willing to do a straight purchase outside of a trade-in. I still need to clean things up and take it in for an appraisal there. Might be easier/safer than dealing with a private party sale with the concession I won't cash out quite as high since they need to make money as well. But at least they will recognize the value of the specific model.

I'm not aware if Colorado has a special tax on vehicle sales so I'll have to research that. Thanks for that tip.

As much as I want to hang on to my TJU until I have a JLU ordered the more I think about it the time to get top dollar sale for it seems sooner than later...

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
But you could possibly offset that hit by applying your trade to the cost of the JLU, reducing your taxes. Price both options and see what benefits you more.

Dubya

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2000 TJ
It’s an LJ not a TJU! :like:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Colorado has a 2.9% sales tax when you buy the JL. And trade-ins aren't taxed.

A 2005 Unlimited Rubi with 150,000 miles is worth about $9,000 trade-in according to KBB.com. 2.9% is about $260.

So while trade-in tax is a consideration, I think you can get a better price with a private sale.

Now some caveats:

- Apparently according to google city/county taxes may be added to the 2.9% so I would look into that.
- Your jeep may be worth more or less.
- Selling private party is a pain

Most cars are bought when people start getting tax refund checks, but it only takes one buyer. If you know the price you want I would go ahead and list it.

Last edited:

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
@Arkewn You are better selling it on your own than trading it in. Dealerships look at reselling a trade and usually anything with 100k miles or over 10 years old isn't something a bank will finance so it's worth less to the dealership. It may be pristine but most likely, you will get a better value selling it yourself even if you are in a state that gives you a tax break for the trade difference.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Sell it yourself! You'll get a lot more than on a trade-in. My '01 TJ, that was (sadly) totaled in 2014, resulted in an insurance check of ~$14,000. I was shocked, and pleasantly surprised at the same time! I priced it on KBB right after the accident and it was way under $14K, about $9K. Even the insurance companies know Jeeps have incredible resale value.

Sell it when you are ready. I don't think there is a bad time to sell a Jeep.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Mid to late spring is the best time to sell in the southeast- When the weather starts getting warm. Other parts of the country may differ.

LJ’s have held their value well. I sold mine (non-Rubicon) for $15,000 about 2 years ago and the guy who bought it has had several offers to buy it for that and more.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
1st - when is a good time in the next 6 months to sell my TJ? Doubt there is high demand for a used Jeep this time of year? Should I wait until march/april? Right now I use my WRX as my daily driver. My TJ is great on snow days and when I need to carry big things around but otherwise sits parked.
You will absolutely have no trouble selling that TJ yourself, here in Colorado, any time of the year. I can't imagine it lasting longer than a couple weeks on Craigslist if you've got it fairly priced. Granted, you're gonna deal with typical scammer BS, but I don't see a time that isn't good to sell it.

Got any pics of it?

I'm concerned the JL reviews are so good it will drive down the demand & value of of the TJ's if I wait until JLU's are on the lots.
The JL will affect the JK, but not the TJ. The TJ is arguably the best Wrangler ever produced, regardless of how fantastic the JL will be. People love the engine, its perfect size, and most importantly, its reliability and confident performance. The fact it's an Unlimited Rubi will make it even more desirable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
KBB says trade-in value is $14.4k. Private party $16.3k. I've see higher on some car sites but I'm not sure why. CO does tax based on final sale price so there is some advantage to trade-in but based on 3% sales tax probably not quite as much as I would make private party. Reading everyone's input it sounds like I can list whenever over the next few months but should be a little patient and hold out for a best offer.

Now... will my winch xfer to a new JLU?

Here are my pix of my TJU er.. I mean LJ :)

2012-Roosevelt 045.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG
003.JPG

20150711_144052.jpg

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Be patient and sell it yourself. The little bit of hassle will be worth it in the end. The LJ are creeping up in value due to the rarity of them and especially low mileage ones. If you have another car take your time and find the right buyer. There is quite a while before JLs start hitting dealer lots.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, that is a thing of beauty. I understand the appeal of wanting something much more modern, but it'd be hard to let that thing go.
Sponsored