Best time to buy current/outgoing model year and how to get >13% off MSRP

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota in the past, just started owning a JL :D
Greetings! Have been lurking on this great site for some time. I'm looking to buy a JLRU 2020 sometime this or next year. Generally speaking, when would be the best time of year to buy to get deepest discount? Tried using the Search but couldn't find the exact info.

I don't have preference for buying from online or from the dealer lot. Suppose if 2020 model year becomes available in September 2019, so between 9/2019 to 12/2020, is there usually a best time? Christmas, July 4th, or wait until the 2020 becomes outgoing or previous model year i.e. anytime after 9/2020? Or maybe the best discount can randomly happen any time of the year? My guess is spring/summer get most orders thus less likely to get best deals but maybe that's not true.

Also saw some posts mention there could be ~13% off MSRP if buying from a dealer in Idaho. Has anyone gotten >15% discount for current/outgoing model year?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The best time to buy a new car is when you don't need one immediately. You can socialize with the dealers in your area, tell them what you're interested in, and have the time to negotiate with them. Otherwise, sometimes there are additional incentives on last model year's cars when the new year starts to arrive at dealers, it depends? There's a few incentives on 2018s right now, but nothing that'll set the world on fire lol.

The 2020MY should be interesting because the 3.6 switches to a BSG drivetrain (etorque, like the 2.0T), and then there's the PHEV drivetrain. Stuff changes.

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
The 2020MY should be interesting because the 3.6 switches to a BSG drivetrain (etorque, like the 2.0T), and then there's the PHEV drivetrain. Stuff changes.
Do you have a source for this or are you assuming?

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
The best time to buy a new car is when you don't need one immediately. You can socialize with the dealers in your area, tell them what you're interested in, and have the time to negotiate with them. Otherwise, sometimes there are additional incentives on last model year's cars when the new year starts to arrive at dealers, it depends? There's a few incentives on 2018s right now, but nothing that'll set the world on fire lol.

No it doesn’t the 3.6 you are assuming will switch to the BSG drivetrain but the consensus here is it will not yet so unless you have absolute proof of this please let us know??

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thank you for the helpful suggestions! :)

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
lol sorry for getting the 3.6+BSG thing wrong, I was under the impression that was a sure thing. Guess it isn't.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The greater the cost of the jeep the higher percentage off of MSRP you can get.

For example 6% off invoice on a Rubicon with few options may be 10% off of MSRP.

That same 6% off of invoice on a fully loaded Rubicon may be 12% off of MSRP.

The Idaho dealership you speak of requires you to finance the entire vehicle, no down payment, no trade ins. You must use their financing and members have said the rates are high.

Remember there are many aspects to a good deal. The highest percent off doesn't always equal the best deal. Trade in value, finance rates, dealership fees etc all need to be factored in. Also time and cost to travel if you choose an out of state dealership.

Often when you see a high percentage off the dealership makes it up on trade in, financing, or high dealer fees.

You won't get 15% off unless you take a leftover 2018 that is almost two model years old.

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The greater the cost of the jeep the higher percentage off of MSRP you can get.

For example 6% off invoice on a Rubicon with few options may be 10% off of MSRP.

That same 6% off of invoice on a fully loaded Rubicon may be 12% off of MSRP.

The Idaho dealership you speak of requires you to finance the entire vehicle, no down payment, no trade ins. You must use their financing and members have said the rates are high.

Remember there are many aspects to a good deal. The highest percent off doesn't always equal the best deal. Trade in value, finance rates, dealership fees etc all need to be factored in. Also time and cost to travel if you choose an out of state dealership.

Often when you see a high percentage off the dealership makes it up on trade in, financing, or high dealer fees.

You won't get 15% off unless you take a leftover 2018 that is almost two model years old.
Thank you for the insight. Yeah I'd be worried about any hidden cost that don't show from the "1x% off". I would probably looking for a Rubicon with MSRP close to 50k, and don't plan to bring a trade-in. Will definitely watch for financing terms and dealer fees. Between 15% off a 2018 model vs. 10% off a 2019 model, I would probably go for the 2019.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
This is just a data point, it may be helpful to you. There are probably other considerations like it being the first model year JL, etc.

I bought a 2018 JL Sport, orange, 6-speed MT. It had a few options like the dark tint on the soft top, limited slip diff, etc. Mfr date 8/18, so I imagine it was on the dealer lot some time after Labor Day? I bought it June 1st of this year, so let’s say it was sitting for 8+ months. It had 60 miles on the odometer (test drives, etc, I assume). I paid 12.17% under MSRP. Minimal doc fees, loan of my choice, etc. I also got a promotional extra $500 for FCA’s Memorial Day sale event. I didn’t dealer shop, I just started working with the one dealer who had the configuration that I wanted on the lot and they seemed reasonable, so I went with them.

I think others here have done better in terms of % off MSRP but I think on higher end models and as someone pointed out earlier there is more margin on the higher end models.

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is just a data point, it may be helpful to you. There are probably other considerations like it being the first model year JL, etc.

I bought a 2018 JL Sport, orange, 6-speed MT. It had a few options like the dark tint on the soft top, limited slip diff, etc. Mfr date 8/18, so I imagine it was on the dealer lot some time after Labor Day? I bought it June 1st of this year, so let’s say it was sitting for 8+ months. It had 60 miles on the odometer (test drives, etc, I assume). I paid 12.17% under MSRP. Minimal doc fees, loan of my choice, etc. I also got a promotional extra $500 for FCA’s Memorial Day sale event. I didn’t dealer shop, I just started working with the one dealer who had the configuration that I wanted on the lot and they seemed reasonable, so I went with them.

I think others here have done better in terms of % off MSRP but I think on higher end models and as someone pointed out earlier there is more margin on the higher end models.
Thanks! That's helpful example :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems it's extra hard to get sweet deals in California because Wrangler is way too popular (especially in summer) in both NorCal and SoCal.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
when my 07 grand cherokee motor took a dump at he beginning of may of this year, i started looking around locally (on the internet) at different dealers to see what they had for 2019 jl and jlu in all models. i also built the jeep on the jeep website. i waited till memorial day week. i went to one dealer and test drove the jlu sport s that was listed $41,820. i choked when the salesperson told me the out the door price was $46,000. i asked on what deals was being offered and they said none. they told me we sell them at or above msrp. i walked out the door. a 2 door jl with 4 options (built in 1/2019) was sitting at another dealer. i went on memorial day, test drove it and got it for $32,000 with finance (msrp 34.325). so wranglers by me are not giving much off. the 2 door will see a better deal than a 4 door. as far as when to go out and buy, i don't think there will be much of a deal one way or another. you might get lucky and see a $1-2000 dollars of the 2018-19 models when the 2020 hits the lot.

Szy_szka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
when my 07 grand cherokee motor took a dump at he beginning of may of this year, i started looking around locally (on the internet) at different dealers to see what they had for 2019 jl and jlu in all models. i also built the jeep on the jeep website. i waited till memorial day week. i went to one dealer and test drove the jlu sport s that was listed $41,820. i choked when the salesperson told me the out the door price was $46,000. i asked on what deals was being offered and they said none. they told me we sell them at or above msrp. i walked out the door. a 2 door jl with 4 options (built in 1/2019) was sitting at another dealer. i went on memorial day, test drove it and got it for $32,000 with finance (msrp 34.325). so wranglers by me are not giving much off. the 2 door will see a better deal than a 4 door. as far as when to go out and buy, i don't think there will be much of a deal one way or another. you might get lucky and see a $1-2000 dollars of the 2018-19 models when the 2020 hits the lot.
As long as you're happy with the deal you got; that's all that matters. Numerous folks here report getting significant $$ off of the JL and JLUs, both off the lot and even custom orders. If the dealers around you have been selling them at MSRP or above, you should expand your search area and try a dealer that is willing to cut you a deal. You're absolutely not correct by stating that seeing "$1 - 2000 dollars off the 2018 - 19" should be considered 'getting lucky.'

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
As long as you're happy with the deal you got; that's all that matters. Numerous folks here report getting significant $$ off of the JL and JLUs, both off the lot and even custom orders. If the dealers around you have been selling them at MSRP or above, you should expand your search area and try a dealer that is willing to cut you a deal. You're absolutely not correct by stating that seeing "$1 - 2000 dollars off the 2018 - 19" should be considered 'getting lucky.'
like i mentioned, been to a few dealership and walked out with no deals. ny doesn't do good deals on wranglers. i've considered in driving 4.5 hours down to criswell in md. i was somewhat in a bind in not having ride. i found this one in nj and grab it because it had what i wanted. and got the best deal from where i'm at. so its all good,

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
like i mentioned, been to a few dealership and walked out with no deals. ny doesn't do good deals on wranglers. i've considered in driving 4.5 hours down to criswell in md. i was somewhat in a bind in not having ride. i found this one in nj and grab it because it had what i wanted. and got the best deal from where i'm at. so its all good,
Maybe NY is just like SF/LA areas where too many people want to own a Jeep (mostly for mall crawling) and have extra cash to buy one at any time, so dealer are much less motivated to give good deals :CWL:
Sponsored