Sponsored

Best Tent Option (CVT, Roofnest, FSR)

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
I'm planning to buy a RTT in the next month for some summer/fall camping. I've narrowed it down to 3 options based on what my needs are. Low profile being one of the main considerations. Need it to fit 2-3 people and have quick set up and tear down. I also don't want it to have too much over hang on the sides. I've been looking everywhere but cannot find good pictures of how they look on a JL. My options are:

CVT Mt Hood (medium): Interior 82"x 53"x 55" /Exterior 85"x 56"x 9.75"
https://cascadiatents.com/mt-hood.html
Roofnest Falcon XL: Interior 88"L x 58″W /Exterior 90"L x 60″W
https://roofnest.com/product/falcon-xl/
Freesprit Recreation: Interior 55"W x 83"L x 43"H /Exterior 60"W x 87"L x 7.1"H
https://gofsr.com/collections/rooftop-tents/products/odyssey-series

The CVT seems the sweet spot with good width almost flush with JL sides. Falcon and FSR have more space but the 60" width has some over hang I don't know if I'd like. The FSR has the best price.

If there are any pics of the Falcon XL on a JL please point me to it. Want to see if the width is a no go for me.
Sponsored

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have hands-on experience with any of them, based on YouTube etc. for 3 person (depending on size etc.) you might need Condor or something bigger?

Also since you are in Denver you could check out the Falcon XL in Boulder at Roofnest's storage facility, see link below.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d/boulder-new-scratch-and-dent-roofnest/7301673782.html
That's an interesting angle. Thanks for the suggestion. The reason why I'm considering these is because of the slim profile. None of them are taller than 9" closed. Need to be sure of clearance for my set up.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I know it's not on your list but the BunduTec standard is only 53" wide (82"L), it may be a little tall compared to the others though.

OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that suggestion. One of my requirements is that closed its no taller than 9" or less to account for lift and garage entry.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Thanks for that suggestion. One of my requirements is that closed its no taller than 9" or less to account for lift and garage entry.
You must have a tall garage door, our Sport barely fits with the bars on, couple of inches.

If you aren't sure you can make it, getting away from the clamshell but staying hardtop gives you some nice options. You have a lot more room inside with something like the Sparrow or Sparrow XL. Don't know if the 3rd person is a kid, but you may appreciate having some more room to move around for changing clothes and such.

Also, if you want to add a mattress pad and such, not so much free space at the top in a clamshell. I like being able to close our Hybox down on an extra mattress pad and our blankets without having to throw everything back in the car.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Check out the GoFastCampers Superlite if you are able to wait through the current lead-time. The first batch started shipping recently so you can find people on youtube and instagram with them to get some real world usage info. Mine should ship in May. I had a CVT Mt Hood last summer and drove from MA to CO & UT with it. That weight up top was a big deal to me on the highway and the trails so the 80# of the Superlite has me excited to try it. Plus it is about half the price of the Mt Hood, but the Superlite is only 50" wide. Not a 3 person tent. Here are some shots of the Mt. Hood on the JLUR from the trip last summer.

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must have a tall garage door, our Sport barely fits with the bars on, couple of inches.

If you aren't sure you can make it, getting away from the clamshell but staying hardtop gives you some nice options. You have a lot more room inside with something like the Sparrow or Sparrow XL. Don't know if the 3rd person is a kid, but you may appreciate having some more room to move around for changing clothes and such.

Also, if you want to add a mattress pad and such, not so much free space at the top in a clamshell. I like being able to close our Hybox down on an extra mattress pad and our blankets without having to throw everything back in the car.
Those are good points. And yes the 3rd person is my 9yr old and my wife is small. I'll take a look again at the roofnest options. I have a Rubicon and plan for 2.5" lift and 37's. I think my garage entry is about 8' or little over.

Leaning towards the FSR Odyssey. Saw some reviews where people were able to leave blankets or sleeping bags inside of it. Not so much with the others.

OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out the GoFastCampers Superlite if you are able to wait through the current lead-time. The first batch started shipping recently so you can find people on youtube and instagram with them to get some real world usage info. Mine should ship in May. I had a CVT Mt Hood last summer and drove from MA to CO & UT with it. That weight up top was a big deal to me on the highway and the trails so the 80# of the Superlite has me excited to try it. Plus it is about half the price of the Mt Hood, but the Superlite is only 50" wide. Not a 3 person tent. Here are some shots of the Mt. Hood on the JLUR from the trip last summer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Tent Option (CVT, Roofnest, FSR) IMG_0665

That looks great. Did you have the small or medium Mt. Hood. Glad you brought up the weight. Is it really 220lbs as the website says? That is much heavier than the Roofnest or FSR.

I have been checking out the Go Fast. Don't think they have one that could fit two adults and a child though.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
So CVT-wise as well as some of the GFCs, it was difficult to close stuff within it. Graeme (GFCs #1) is a stellar dude who does the stuff we all love to do and has a great following to support that. The Superlite will either require you to provide your own mattress or you can get one from them for it. Youd be surprised how big their RTT is. Bobby (CVTs owner) can get stuff to you fast if you stay on him. AreaBFE (Robert owns it) is pretty same level as CVT. My buddy has a Roofnest and loves it but again you have to take everything out to close it.

Personally, based on experience and knowing some companies and their warranty/ease of use + assistance, I'd vote in this order: GFC RTT (not superlite), Roofnest, Freespirit, CVT. And yea you could also go down to spirit 1876 and check some of the options out down that way too. Or wait for a rigs and coffee and kill 2 birds with one stone (a car show and viewing the tent options)

Sponsored

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
That looks great. Did you have the small or medium Mt. Hood. Glad you brought up the weight. Is it really 220lbs as the website says? That is much heavier than the Roofnest or FSR.

I have been checking out the Go Fast. Don't think they have one that could fit two adults and a child though.
I had the medium Mt Hood and really don't think it weighed 220 lbs. More like 150 lbs, but mine was before they added the double channel side mounting track. Last year the Roofnest Falcon and the Mt Hood were basically the same tent, available in slightly different sizes, probably made in the same factory, but since then CVT has made some changes to differentiate theirs.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll lose a bit of height when you put it on, depending on tent weight and your suspension.

It kind of sucks you can't more easily try these out, because you buy something and you'll find you need an extra pad to sleep comfortably or something else really bugs you.

Good luck with whichever you choose. We bought a Tepui Hybox because it was available on REI coupon, but we haven't been super impressed with it. Still waiting for them to replace it because the roof liner was falling down. Being local to Roofnest is nice, if something goes wrong you could likely just cruise over and yell at them in person. Don't know about the other manufacturers.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And adjust your headlights after you install it, Jesus, I've never been flashed so much in my life...

OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll lose a bit of height when you put it on, depending on tent weight and your suspension.

It kind of sucks you can't more easily try these out, because you buy something and you'll find you need an extra pad to sleep comfortably or something else really bugs you.

Good luck with whichever you choose. We bought a Tepui Hybox because it was available on REI coupon, but we haven't been super impressed with it. Still waiting for them to replace it because the roof liner was falling down. Being local to Roofnest is nice, if something goes wrong you could likely just cruise over and yell at them in person. Don't know about the other manufacturers.
That true this is a lot of money to spend to find out it’s not what you want.

OP
OP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up ordering the FSR Odyssey 55". Few reasons like footprint, ease of setup/take down, interior space (small wife and 9yr old), price compared to CVT medium and Roofnest XL. Then the biggest....availability lol

It really checks all the boxes for me. The tri layer seems like it should be good in various weather. Is a sweet spot between fitting well on my roof, slim profile and price. Have heard good reviews so I'm excited.
Sponsored