Sponsored

Best suspension options for JL Rubicon Unlimited

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Heard good things about this kit, but what in particular do you recommend about the AEV 2.5 lift kit? I mean, for the OP’s shitty Quebec roads lol, Metalcloak is reported to offer quite a compliant ride, and it is zinc coated for protection, like from their salt sprayed wintery roads.

AEV is great, but what do they bring to the table compared to Metalcloak’s 2.5 inch lift?
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
My response on AEV is based on experience with AEV. Have never driven a Metalcloaks so I cannot compare. However, AEV Engineering is as close to Mopar/Jeep and it will get. Their systems are top notch and fit good.

I think one thing that makes theirs so compliant is the relocation brackets. It keeps the angles and despite what some have said it is unlikely you will hit them on rocks to damage them. Yes, you can hit them but you can also avoid it. They also use good springs and Bilstein shocks. Install is easy and instructions are spot on. It includes the tire size calibrator to boot.

The caveat to the AEV is it is made for overlanding type weights, It works better the more weight it has on it. So if you have steel stuff and other heavies (gear, people, kayaks, trailers, etc.) it will still ride great on road. Some of the others get mushy when under load. Have had it on my JK for 70k miles and still like new. Lots of hard trails - not a rock garden crawler.

Will be putting on the JL shortly.

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
The AEV kit will handle rock crawling just fine. I had their kit on my JKUR and it handled Moab and the Rubicon quite well.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The AEV kit will handle rock crawling just fine. I had their kit on my JKUR and it handled Moab and the Rubicon quite well.
Other than a creep avatar, Porkchop is right. Did not mean to infer that it is not a rock crawler - because it is one. I just did not use it for such. Their design is more overlanding oriented.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just for the spring rates alone, I would say the most compliant or plush ride is the Mopar with Fox. But the Teraflex ST2 is a better kit... ANd they have not fixed the spring bow to my satisfaction... Buy the Rock Krawler spring pads if you want to go that route.

To get best all around at that height, go Teraflex ST2 with the 3 series Falcons. 1512031

TF JLU ST2.jpg

Sponsored

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Just for the spring rates alone, I would say the most compliant or plush ride is the Mopar with Fox. But the Teraflex ST2 is a better kit... ANd they have not fixed the spring bow to my satisfaction... Buy the Rock Krawler spring pads if you want to go that route.

To get best all around at that height, go Teraflex ST2 with the 3 series Falcons. 1512031

TF JLU ST2.jpg
How would you rate the ST2 kit's ride comfort relative to the Mopar's with Fox shocks? Is it noticeably firmer, the same, or better?

Ideally, what I'm aiming for is a good all around system with a comfortable daily ride with 35" (K02 C load) on a JLU Rubicon. While I may be searching for a unicorn system, I'm trying to find something that's well damped and can sustain higher frequency impact with good heat dissipation.

Lastly, neither the Mopar nor the ST2 include an adjustable track bar, but it seems one should be used to get things totally square, and likely an adjustable drag link too.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Teraflex ST2 kit with the Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust shocks installed a few weeks ago, riding on 315/70/17 KM3s love the on road ride and they were great on miles of washboards, have not had a chance to do any serious trails yet but very happy so far
Ala%20J%204_zpshrmlnbtt.jpg

Last edited:

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
How would you rate the ST2 kit's ride comfort relative to the Mopar's with Fox shocks? Is it noticeably firmer, the same, or better?

Ideally, what I'm aiming for is a good all around system with a comfortable daily ride with 35" (K02 C load) on a JLU Rubicon. While I may be searching for a unicorn system, I'm trying to find something that's well damped and can sustain higher frequency impact with good heat dissipation.

Lastly, neither the Mopar nor the ST2 include an adjustable track bar, but it seems one should be used to get things totally square, and likely an adjustable drag link too.
Noticeably firmer? That's hard to quantify... I do believe you would notice that it is firmer, but that's not always a bad thing. The TF rates aren't drastically higher than the Mopars... And the low speed damping on the Falcons is also slightly higher than the Fox in the Mopar kit. So I do think it would hit your goals better. The TF kit rides great and will better handle additional accessories like skid plates, etc. The C load 35's ride pretty damn good so combined, it would be a very nice setup.

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5

TF JLU ST2.jpg
Installed the same ST2 kit w/Falcon 3.3's shocks and had the same issue of bowing front coils. Apparently Jeep has been changing the coil pad design trying to resolve some of the bowing spring issues and Teraflex has not kept up with the changes from their initial design for the kit. They are in the process of developing new pads, but sent Daystar brand to my shop to fix the issue. It helped, and straightened the bowing coil, but the axle was still not centered. Added the new Teraflex adjustable track bar and that fixed the issue to get the axle back over center. Seems like the adjustable track bar should be included or at least mentioned that it needs to be added with the kit to resolve the issue.

I am very happy with the kit now and the ride quality on and off-road. On road handling is much tighter and no lean from side to side. If you hit a bump that jolts you from side to side, it now much less. Off-road it is very noticeable on washboard roads how smooth the ride now is.

Also upgraded the bump stops the the Teraflex speed bump front and Falcon progressive rear bump stop kit. Had to remove one of the pads so the bump stop didn't hit on every road bump, but now it rides great. The encased bump stop on the front does make some noise when they hit, but now it is only on a pretty good hit to the suspension. Needs about a 2" gap or larger if you don't want them to engage on every bump.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
I'm curious about lift, as well... It'll be my DD w/ some occasional off-roading. Trails, mud, but no rock climbing.

I'm considering the following:
-TF ST2 w/ the 2.1 Falons
-RK 2.5 Stock Mod System - Stage 1
-RK 2.5 Flex System - Stage 1

I'd prefer to keep the cost under $2k, but that's not set in stone.

Reading what you all have said about the TF springs binding, I may have to reconsider TF altogether.

Thoughts? Thanks

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about lift, as well... It'll be my DD w/ some occasional off-roading. Trails, mud, but no rock climbing.

I'm considering the following:
-TF ST2 w/ the 2.1 Falons
-RK 2.5 Stock Mod System - Stage 1
-RK 2.5 Flex System - Stage 1

I'd prefer to keep the cost under $2k, but that's not set in stone.

Reading what you all have said about the TF springs binding, I may have to reconsider TF altogether.

Thoughts? Thanks
Im considering the rock krawler stock mod 2.5 aswell. I already have mopar lca and sway disconnects to go with the lift.

Pretty sure i will go with the fox 2.0 2-3” lift shocks aswell.

Anyone know how well the rock krawler carried weight? Im pretty light, small steel bumper 40lbs and synthetic winch, 60lb fridge in the back with camping stuff etc.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You guys really should give Rancho a closer look. The 2 in lift with adjustable shocks can be had for under 700 dollars right now. I have had it on my JLUR for a few months now. The ride is very smooth. It has great road manners. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip down to Windrock loaded with tools, cooler, misc stuff and four people in the JLUR. Everyone in the Jeep was impressed with the ride.

The Jeep Flexes and crawls like it should. I just turned the shocks up some for the off roading and turned them back down for the roads.

45po7-NSD_XitwwYF2rnRVZCVc0NRMYkbBeRnz7Gf5uQgdZwzkSbq8r3VGPtrO4ZFSf6KF1E&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

GcXN6CyD05sAcZqHRr3vvBMwJlfgG4NrI9DfriSwlqN-774vS4D23pOP67kQr1LeuyGcZP6G&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

9s3Zlwyf7yKefhrUN7TWqkfwnC8eoRv1ItA16GUA6_L9yRkaYzsQcTeGZhM8rCF-AQFkPBjN&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

FvePoA3XfZ5j2c6ME43I2jq2iBmcrixPfFZpVZiWH5xdwZvB0ct4pw20A7jS9K74OoEl8F2W&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
You guys really should give Rancho a closer look. The 2 in lift with adjustable shocks can be had for under 700 dollars right now. I have had it on my JLUR for a few months now. The ride is very smooth. It has great road manners. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip down to Windrock loaded with tools, cooler, misc stuff and four people in the JLUR. Everyone in the Jeep was impressed with the ride.

The Jeep Flexes and crawls like it should. I just turned the shocks up some for the off roading and turned them back down for the roads.

45po7-NSD_XitwwYF2rnRVZCVc0NRMYkbBeRnz7Gf5uQgdZwzkSbq8r3VGPtrO4ZFSf6KF1E&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

GcXN6CyD05sAcZqHRr3vvBMwJlfgG4NrI9DfriSwlqN-774vS4D23pOP67kQr1LeuyGcZP6G&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

9s3Zlwyf7yKefhrUN7TWqkfwnC8eoRv1ItA16GUA6_L9yRkaYzsQcTeGZhM8rCF-AQFkPBjN&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

FvePoA3XfZ5j2c6ME43I2jq2iBmcrixPfFZpVZiWH5xdwZvB0ct4pw20A7jS9K74OoEl8F2W&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg
Which shocks do you have. Notice you are from Lansing. I went to MSU. Currently in the same line of work that you are retired from. I too have stories lol.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rock Krawler lifts are excellent quality also.
I would second the rock krawler one for sure, I've been runing my x factor for around a year now with no issues.
Sponsored