Sponsored

Best Supplemental Brake For Flat Tow Vehicles - what are you using?

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What braking system are you using on the jeep to flat tow it. This will be my first time flat towing. I have a blue ox tow bar and have on order a LOD bumper set up to flat tow. But now i have to decide on brake system So what are you using any help would be great.
Sponsored

willwhig

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
We have Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in our 2018 JLU Sport S. Works well and always ready to go.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Braking action can be in initiated by air, by an airbrake equipped motorhome, brake light activation, or inertia. Of these, only air and inertia systems enable proportional braking. I would shy away from any system that does not provide proportional brake application.

You also want to consider the convenience factor. If you will be using the system frequently, installing a portable system, that sits in front of the driver seat, is less convenient than one that requires only the connection of a lighting cable or quick-connect air line.

I choose the SMI Air Force One proportional braking system for motorhomes equipped with air brakes. We installed it four years and more than 50K miles ago on our 43 ft diesel pusher and our Honda CR-V flat tow car. The car install portion is now being removed from our CR-V and re-installed in our new Wrangler JLU Sahara. A $45 kit makes the transfer from one car to another easy and cost-effective. It has also been confirmed that this system is compatible with the JL.

The Air Force One proportional braking system uses the air pressure from your RV's brakes to apply the brakes in your towed car. The towed car's brakes are activated at the same time and with the same intensity as your motor home's brakes. Quick connect air couplers are installed on the rear of the RV and on the front of the towed car and connect using a coiled air hose. Setup is as quick and simple as simply plugging in the coiled air hose. An LED light illuminates when the towed vehicle's brakes are applied. This light, mounted on your car's rearview mirror, cab be monitored through your RV's back-up camera, mounted in the coach through an optional wireless system or, as I have done, hard wired through your tow light connection to provide a dash light in your RV. A break away system is also included.

The cost of this system is about the same as proportional portable floor/seat mount systems but the installation cost will be a bit higher. In my opinion, the convenience and quality of the truly proportional braking is worth the extra install time.

My tow system utilizes an aluminum Rock Hard bumper with Blue Ox tow attachments and a 10,000 lb. rated Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I've always used a BrakeBuddy.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've always used a BrakeBuddy.
If I am not mistaken, the Brake Buddy is not a proportional braking system.

I don't expect that would matter much for occasional towing but significant tow miles would accelerate brake wear or provide reduced supplemental braking, depending upon its fixed brake application pressure.

The Roadmaster Invisibrake is also a non-proportional system that applies the brake and then increases brake pressure over time, even if you have reduced pressure, such as approaching a stop light or descending a grade.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
If I am not mistaken, the Brake Buddy is not a proportional braking system.

I don't expect that would matter much for occasional towing but significant tow miles would accelerate brake wear or provide reduced supplemental braking, depending upon its fixed brake application pressure.
It puts on the brakes based on inertia. If you stop too quickly at a light or stop sign then you will see the lights light up on the remote telling you the buddy has put on the brakes too.

If that's what you mean.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It puts on the brakes based on inertia. If you stop too quickly at a light or stop sign then you will see the lights light up on the remote telling you the buddy has put on the brakes too.

If that's what you mean.
Inertia systems are certainly better than on/off systems that provide only a single brake pressure setting. A concern I have with inertia systems is that a hard bump or dip in the road can cause the brakes to apply unintentionally. Some systems overcome this by requiring the tow vehicle's brake lights to be active before the TOAD brakes are applied.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I found a Brake Buddy on my local Craigslist for only $60. Works fine.

wheadlee

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Braking action can be in initiated by air, by an airbrake equipped motorhome, brake light activation, or inertia. Of these, only air and inertia systems enable proportional braking. I would shy away from any system that does not provide proportional brake application.

You also want to consider the convenience factor. If you will be using the system frequently, installing a portable system, that sits in front of the driver seat, is less convenient than one that requires only the connection of a lighting cable or quick-connect air line.

I choose the SMI Air Force One proportional braking system for motorhomes equipped with air brakes. We installed it four years and more than 50K miles ago on our 43 ft diesel pusher and our Honda CR-V flat tow car. The car install portion is now being removed from our CR-V and re-installed in our new Wrangler JLU Sahara. A $45 kit makes the transfer from one car to another easy and cost-effective. It has also been confirmed that this system is compatible with the JL.

The Air Force One proportional braking system uses the air pressure from your RV's brakes to apply the brakes in your towed car. The towed car's brakes are activated at the same time and with the same intensity as your motor home's brakes. Quick connect air couplers are installed on the rear of the RV and on the front of the towed car and connect using a coiled air hose. Setup is as quick and simple as simply plugging in the coiled air hose. An LED light illuminates when the towed vehicle's brakes are applied. This light, mounted on your car's rearview mirror, cab be monitored through your RV's back-up camera, mounted in the coach through an optional wireless system or, as I have done, hard wired through your tow light connection to provide a dash light in your RV. A break away system is also included.

The cost of this system is about the same as proportional portable floor/seat mount systems but the installation cost will be a bit higher. In my opinion, the convenience and quality of the truly proportional braking is worth the extra install time.

My tow system utilizes an aluminum Rock Hard bumper with Blue Ox tow attachments and a 10,000 lb. rated Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar.
Did you install the AIr Force One System on your Jeep yourself? I can't find anyone that has posted installation videos for the 2018 JL. They are all 2017 JK.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you install the AIr Force One System on your Jeep yourself? I can't find anyone that has posted installation videos for the 2018 JL. They are all 2017 JK.
No, I have not installed it yet and I'll have a service center do the install. Though I used to build vehicles from the ground up and my mind still says I can, my body has a different opinion. When the complete install, including wiring, is complete, I'll post a full description with photos.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No, I have not installed it yet and I'll have a service center do the install. Though I used to build vehicles from the ground up and my mind still says I can, my body has a different opinion. When the complete install, including wiring, is complete, I'll post a full description with photos.
Any update on this? I'm at the point where I need to figure out which direction to go with my supplemental braking system as well. My motorhome has an airline set up next to the hitch. Not that its important but Im also using a Roadmaster tow bar.

I calculate, after install, I'm look at about $2k for getting an Air Force One set up. I may have overspent on some Jeep accessories so it would be good to hear of other (proportional) air systems.
Sponsored